The Woodlands

bachanon

Pedestrian Improvements Scheduled for The Woodlands Waterway

Room for Both Cyclists and Walkers By The Woodlands Operating Company - TWOC

September 03, 2004

The Woodlands, Texas - Construction has begun on pedestrian improvements along the south side of The Woodlands Waterway from the turning basin at The Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion to Woodloch Forest, according to Daniel Kolkhorst, P.E., vice president of engineering and construction for The Woodlands Operating Company, L.P. (TWOC).

Improvements include installation of a two-story elevator at The Woodlands Waterway and Woodloch Forest, extensive lighting, landscaping, irrigation and construction of a sidewalk with ample space for cyclists and pedestrians.

Newest Parks Add to The Woodlands Appeal

By The Woodlands Operating Company

Five new parks and 32,500 linear feet of pathways were recently completed in The Woodlands, and more are on the way, according to Joel Deretchin, vice president of residential operations for The Woodlands Operating Company, L.P.

This will be cool. Currently, many of the parts of the waterway look woefully undeveloped, and too parklike. I'd prefer a nice cobblestone walkway with nice ornamentation and plantings over grassy banks with a strip of concrete meandering here and there.

understand, urbanerd, that the waterway and lake woodlands are flood control elements. the meandering concrete walls are there for a reason. the government requires that for a certain amount of pavement a certain amount of runoff acreage is required. check out how walmart and lowes accomplish this; they dig a hole in the ground and fence it in in the back of the store. they could be creating ponds or gardens, or even preserving natural vegetation in low lying areas to achieve this. the woodlands development took these ideals into consideration in 1972 and developed around the future flood and wetland needs of this area.

any development near the waterway will not be at water level anytime soon.

• 3 months later...

Spanish Bank's North American HQ Lands in Woodlands

Jennifer D. Duell

Last updated: December 16, 2004

THE WOODLANDS, TX-Banco Bilbao Vizcaya Argentaria, a leading Spanish bank with global headquarters in Bilbao, Spain, has leased 15,065 sf of class A office space at Waterway Plaza II.

BBVA will establish its North American headquarters in the six-story, 142,230-sf building at 10001 Woodloch Forest Dr. The bank has satellite offices in Galleria Financial Center at 5075 Westheimer Rd. and Greenspoint II at 16825 Northchase Dr.

"BBVA looked at class A space only and identified three or four different buildings in different submarkets across Houston, but finally just picked the Woodlands," says Jay Kyle, a vice president with Colliers International. He and Colliers' CEO Robert S. Parsley ran the bank's search and negotiations for Houston space. The headquarters' doors will open in February.

Kyle says that the Woodlands offers a nice corporate setting for the bank, which will be relocating personnel from Bilbao and Mexico City. He tells GlobeSt.com that there were not too many options to pick from in the Woodlands, except the two-building Waterway Plaza complex.

Waterway Plaza, built in 2001, totals 366,000 sf and includes a 1,300-vehicle parking garage. The complex was acquired from Anadarko Petroleum Corp. late last year by Houston-based Lionstone Group in a $360-million venture with the Oregon Public Employees Retirement Fund. The building owners were represented in the BBVA deal by Todd King, Clint Bacum and David Baker with Houston-based Transwestern Commercial Services.

The 90%-leased buildings' tenant rosters include Huntsman LLC, Charles Schwab & Co., UBS Paine Webber, Eli Lilly and others. The quoted rent is $25 per sf to $26 per sf.

• 1 month later...

Construction to Begin on Town Green Park

by The Woodlands Operating Company

Officials with the Town Center Improvement District (TCID) and The Woodlands Development Company (TWDC) recently signed an agreement to begin construction of Town Green Park, the seven-acre

• 3 months later...

(note to moderator: not copywritten)

Three New Parks in The Woodlands

by The WoodlandsDevelopment Company

Terramont Park, located off of Terramont Drive in the Village of Sterling Ridge, opened on Friday, May 13. The 16-are park includes playground equipment, skateboard park, pavilion and lighted tennis and basketball courts. Construction is still underway on a slide encased in the hill at Terramont Park.

The Woodlands Community Association will officially open Tallowberry Park in the Village of Panther Creek on Tuesday, May 24 at a grand opening celebration from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. The new park, located at 7 Tallowberry Drive, will feature two separate play areas for toddlers and younger children, pavilion and picnic tables.

The Mel Killian Park at 187 North Tranquil Path in the Village of Grogan

• 3 weeks later...

While I applaud the addition of amenities in Woodlands Town Center, and other suburban centers, such as Sugarland Town Center, especially the clustering of shops, allowing pedestrian activity, I do wish someone would put a leash on these publicists and marketing hacks who insist on calling this "urban living". Closely spaced shops next to a regional mall, with some office and residential interspersed, while certainly more enjoyable than an enclosed mall, does not qualify as "urban".

I applaud the concept, but I deride the description.

i agree, somewhat, redscare. it is like calling disneyworld in florida "urban". however, living within walking distance of the woodlands' town center....is SUPER FUN! concerts, fireworks on the fourth, free houston symphony, good restaurants, all within walking distance is hella fun. it may lack the homeless and gritty urban ambiance, but i love it. it is laid back and tons of things going on every weekend. wine week, concerts at north shore park (free....with good bands), performances at the mall's new lifestyle center, smooth jazz on thurs. nights at market street, the pavilion's line up, antique shows, art exhibits, a children's museum, living statues, etc. (the list goes on) is more activity than any one concentrated area of houston. it may not be "urban" in a socio-economic, historic, sense, but it is amazing. besides, since when is the word "urban" owned by any one community? it's all about perception. :)

I agree, too, that it is a far cry from when I lived there and your choices were TGI Fridays, Mac Grill and Landry's.

My point is that "urban" DOES have an academic, or literal definition. I am not sure what Town Center would be accurately described as, but "urban" is not it.

BTW, I remember when the Waterway was a ditch, and whenever there was a discussion about it, eyes would roll and "when hell freezes over" comments were made. It's pretty amazing to see the progress made recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Construction is underway on The Woodlands' Waterway extension to Grogan's Mill road and will ultimately extend to Lake Woodlands. The current segment is to coincide with the construction of Town Green Park and The Boardwalk apartment complex. The Chronicle has a story on the details.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/t...04/news/3235556

the pf changs over there is great, and i grew up in the woodlands and one of my least fond memories is how i would have to sit throught those stupid "lighting of the doves" things when i was around 4 and 5.

I also remember when the waterway was a ditch. i was just a kid but since my dad was the fire cheif he had connections and always talked to our family about new development. i always thought it take longer to be built than it did, and i was surprised that it isnt more like the san antonio river walk. i was hoping they would have built the shops that are the in the town center part along the riverwalk and maybe used the area closer to the mall where the main street place is for more parking.

• 1 month later...

Urban Retreat Coming to The Woodlands

by The Woodlands Development Company

Urban Retreat, one of the leading day spas in Texas with three locations in The Galleria area, has leased 7,500 square feet of space on the lower level of The Woodlands Waterway Marriott Hotel for its first suburban location.

Construction of the new spa has begun, with an estimated opening date of October, 2005. Personal services will include complete hair design services and an

Archived