Cross border light rail

moni

Across the border? Yeah, good luck with that. I just made two trips across the northern border. PITA.

The Amtrak train I was on spent almost an hour in the Vancouver freight yard waiting for permission to pull into Pacific Central Station. Then once we were in, it took another hour for customs and immigration to interrogate everyone on the train one car at a time.

And that was at a border that DOESN'T have a giant fence!

Coming back into the United States was a lot shorter, but we still had to unload our luggage, go through interrogation, then have our luggage X-rayed like at the airport, then re-load the luggage.

Across the border? Yeah, good luck with that. I just made two trips across the northern border. PITA.

The Amtrak train I was on spent almost an hour in the Vancouver freight yard waiting for permission to pull into Pacific Central Station. Then once we were in, it took another hour for customs and immigration to interrogate everyone on the train one car at a time.

Coming back into the United States was a lot shorter, but we still had to unload our luggage, go through interrogation, then have our luggage X-rayed like at the airport, then re-load the luggage.

Considering your wait times, you should be happy that the terrorists only come in through Mexico!!!

That does sound dreadful. However, the traffic between El Paso and Juarez is bumper to bumper because most of the companies that hire texans, are in Juarez, because of Nafta. Mostly El Paso people going to work in Juarez, go to the very large US Companies that have located there. Rail would take more people and free up traffic on the International Bridge. I don't know if it would work or not. Even with all the violence in Juarez, many people walk across the bridge everyday to shop and work.

I'm not sure this is in the best interest of the US. We already have a lot of illegal aliens coming here. I think this is another avenue for their entry. Not good.

I'd assume that people coming into the United States via this proposed light rail line would be screened at the border by ICE. The people you're worried about are walking or swimming over, not paying for a ticket on a train.

I think what this would do is effectively move the border crossing/screening process away from the current facility by the actual border. You'd be able to expand the crossing for workers and casual tourists just walking across, move 'em through quickly in a new inspection hall just for this purpose.

This of course is under the assumption the place is overcrowded-I haven't been to Juarez since I was 9 years old. Though I do remember riding in the nasty taxis, so compared to that a train would rock.

From a practical perspective, this would allow a new streamlined border crossing for those walking across to be built away from the existing facility that must handle cars, and then transport people right into the middle of town past the congested urban centers.

This of course is under the assumption the place is overcrowded-I haven't been to Juarez since I was 9 years old...I do remember there being old railroad tracks in the middle of the road when you go into the center where's a big parking lot, I think that's what they must be using in this proposal?

I would like to know when we're going to build a wall around Chicago to keep out the terrorists! (note, I'm not putting a winky face, because I'm dead serious here.)

You know that's why they didn't get the Olympics, right?

Archived