Say No To Fiesta Until They Say Yes To Mams House Of Ice

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI for people on the east side sad that our walk will be seriously lengthened--- there is supposed to be another snoball stand opening in front of hello, lucky. i won't say by whom in case she doesn't get it off the ground but it has been in the works for a few months. i was surprised when MAM's opened- kind of a random thing for 2 different people to think of at the same time. i think the heights can easily support 2 snoball trailers, tho, so i hope they both get up and running in their rumored locations and we all have blue tongues this summer!

Good, I hope the new place is cheaper and competition drives down prices. Right now MAM's is all there is so they have it pretty easy, but come on, their prices are just silly - nearly double what they should be. Perhaps that is due to their labor model, I'm used to seeing a place like that run by a couple of high school girls who are bored during the summer. MAM's seems to be using twice that many (and not kids) and still struggles with the lines. Bring on the competition!

You guys should try Tampico Refresqueria on N Main at 14th. It's less than 2500' from the current Mam's location. It's had a line out front every day for at least 10 years. Raspas!!! mmmm

Beat me to it - that's exactly what I was thinking while I was reading this thread. There's another location on Fulton as well - can't remember the address but I believe it's somewhere between Cavalcade and Moody Park.

And they have more than just raspas - their licuados are outstanding.

You guys should try Tampico Refresqueria on N Main at 14th. It's less than 2500' from the current Mam's location. It's had a line out front every day for at least 10 years. Raspas!!! mmmm

I never ever knew that was a snocone place. I always thought it was a little taqueria. I'm going to try it.

Yeah, Tampico and a couple of other places are on my list of Heights-area places selling raspas. For those down south (of 11th), there's the colorful Mango Beach near Stude Park - and El Gallo on White Oak (backs up to the new bike trail) supposedly has raspas, too.

I still haven't gotten to try MAM's, but the New Orleans-style snow cones sound like they're their own thing. Wonder what kind the place by Hello Lucky will have, if it opens.

Edit: Tampico does seem to have a continuous line - I gave up trying to get a photo of it without one.

Try Saturday morning, around 6:30/7:00, whilst driving small people to Shipley's. Ain't a soul nearby.

Yeah, Tampico and a couple of other places are on my list of Heights-area places selling raspas. For those down south (of 11th), there's the colorful Mango Beach near Stude Park - and El Gallo on White Oak (backs up to the new bike trail) supposedly has raspas, too.

I still haven't gotten to try MAM's, but the New Orleans-style snow cones sound like they're their own thing. Wonder what kind the place by Hello Lucky will have, if it opens.

Edit: Tampico does seem to have a continuous line - I gave up trying to get a photo of it without one.

....I'm still chuckling to myself as I type. Slow news day or what? channel 13 just aired a piece on snoball-gate. Andy Cerota reporting!

WTF? Does every local news outlet get their stories from the HAIF these days? There was one bit of news: MAMs is moving to 20th and Rutland.

Hah, I love it!

"Customers were told that a nearby resident was afraid this business might attract the criminal element and complained to Fiesta. Even though MAM's signed a six month contract with Fiesta, Fiesta is exercising its right to terminate the agreement at any given time.

We put our exclusive Crime Tracker to work and there was no crime to speak of over the first three months of the year at the intersection where MAM's is. MAM's is moving less than a mile and a half away to 20th and Rutland."

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=6874945

They were on Great Day Houston yesterday and on the front page of the Heights section of the Chronicle yesterday. I think Fiesta's booting them is the best advertising they could have had. Fiesta of course has the right to terminate the contract and that man of course has the right to complain. But I can't help but feel terribly let down by Fiesta's management on this one. What next is this man going to complain about? Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we don't soon see a Fiesta run snocone booth in Mams' place.

so fiesta asks them to move to a different part of the parking lot and they get no response from their tenant???

If you are able to view their facebook page, you will find this statement:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/MA...58659770?ref=ts

"They offered to move us behind the Fiesta building to the back of the parking lot by their back fence - where all the cars are parking and we did not feel it was 1. safe at all or 2. we signed the lease to be in front on Studewood where their were no cars ever in that lot AND people can see us - we would have never signed a lease for the back of the building -we even had the front lot as our space on the lease - we would have zero visability."

If you are able to view their facebook page, you will find this statement:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pages/MA...58659770?ref=ts

"They offered to move us behind the Fiesta building to the back of the parking lot by their back fence - where all the cars are parking and we did not feel it was 1. safe at all or 2. we signed the lease to be in front on Studewood where their were no cars ever in that lot AND people can see us - we would have never signed a lease for the back of the building -we even had the front lot as our space on the lease - we would have zero visability."

fiesta made a completely different statement to andy cerota.

Fiesta says it broke the contract with MAM's when its owner failed to respond to Fiesta's request to relocate the trailer to a corner on the west parking lot it deemed safer.

A Fiesta spokesman told Eyewitness News, "Fiesta tried to provide an alternate location to MAM after determining that the initial location was not appropriate. MAM chose to move their business elsewhere."

normally when i go to a business i park near the door. less people park to the back of the parking lot by their back fence - where all the cars are parking per their facebook page.

Fiesta says it broke the contract with MAM's when its owner failed to respond to Fiesta's request to relocate the trailer to a corner on the west parking lot it deemed safer.

A Fiesta spokesman told Eyewitness News, "Fiesta tried to provide an alternate location to MAM after determining that the initial location was not appropriate. MAM chose to move their business elsewhere."

normally when i go to a business i park near the door. less people park to the back of the parking lot by their back fence - where all the cars are parking per their facebook page.

Fiesta's statement should have said, owners failed to "agree to" relocate their trailer, they did respond. Fiesta is doing spin. To be expected, all corporations do it for damage control. Fiesta on Studewood parking lots is very small. People cut across and pretty much the entire parking lot is in use during most of the operational day. When I go there to shop and park in that parking lot, I am always extra careful. It is in poor condition so you also have people swerving around to avoid potholes etc. Not a good parking lot.

The new location will be better all around. They have grass and the adjoining lots have trees that will offer shade at various times of day. MAM's benefitted all around from Fiesta's choosing to terminate the lease. Good for them. I am pretty much indifferent to the effect on MAM's at this point. They are going to be just fine and do well. And probably, if Fiesta weren't looking at the likelihood of losing their lease in 2 years, they would have pursued it so that this guy couldn't dictate their actions. If you aren't staying longterm, then why hassle with it? The litigation alone, were he to choose to sue, would outlast their stay at that location. In the end, I can't blame them.

Fought the fight and accepted the outcome. Moving on.

At that Fiesta, very few customers use the parking lot on Studewood where the snoball place was located. It is a small lot and not near the two entrances, which are on Algregg and facing the "back" lot. Taking busy streets out of the equation, the lot on Studemont would actually be the back lot, based upon entrances.

I think they'll get as much or more traffic at the new location. I can't wait until they finally do something with that Kroger shopping center or abandoned corner lot across the street.

Are they in walking distance from you now? I think they are closer to me, but not walking distance. Is anything within walking distance in this heat?

The litigation alone, were he to choose to sue, would outlast their stay at that location. In the end, I can't blame them.

There is no lawsuit there. The guy has only the prick factor as a weapon. Fiesta is entitled to use their property as they see fit. That includes leasing to sno-cone vendors. Fiesta miscalculated that the a-hole neighbor's opinion was more popular than the sno-cone stand. They screwed up, weathered the bad publicity, and will move on. The a-hole neighbor will feel smug in his victory over thirsty kids, kick his dog, and move on to the next perceived threat to the neighborhood, probably moms with double wide strollers hogging the sidewalk. Meanwhile, the Heights moves one step further away from eclecticism, and one step closer to Bellaiiria.

There is no lawsuit there. The guy has only the prick factor as a weapon. Fiesta is entitled to use their property as they see fit. That includes leasing to sno-cone vendors. Fiesta miscalculated that the a-hole neighbor's opinion was more popular than the sno-cone stand. They screwed up, weathered the bad publicity, and will move on. The a-hole neighbor will feel smug in his victory over thirsty kids, kick his dog, and move on to the next perceived threat to the neighborhood, probably moms with double wide strollers hogging the sidewalk. Meanwhile, the Heights moves one step further away from eclecticism, and one step closer to Bellaiiria.

Clearly (hopefully), the guy would not win a lawsuit, but I have to wonder if they factored in even if he lost, the time and expenditures involved if he chose to sue, baseless though it may be.

Speaking of Heights turning Bellaireish...Go to HAR.com and click on newly listed. Type in zip 77009. It is absolutely frightening what you will see.

Are they in walking distance from you now? I think they are closer to me, but not walking distance. Is anything within walking distance in this heat?

Yep, we walk down to that Kroger all the time, so I'm sure we will. Even in this heat I'll walk for a snoball, assuming I was already hot and sweaty from being outside. I won't decide to get hot and sweaty just for a snoball, maybe it can be a new post-yard-watering treat.

Did they move already? It's not like it takes long to set all of that up, the biggest task is the tow.

Yep, we walk down to that Kroger all the time, so I'm sure we will. Even in this heat I'll walk for a snoball, assuming I was already hot and sweaty from being outside. I won't decide to get hot and sweaty just for a snoball, maybe it can be a new post-yard-watering treat.

Did they move already? It's not like it takes long to set all of that up, the biggest task is the tow.

They have to cart it home each night anyway per the health dept., so they just drove to a different spot this morning.

Just went to MAM's, I think it's a much better location. Besides being closer to my house, it's a big open lot instead of a cramped parking lot with people driving through it. They have picnic tables set up in the back of the lot where there is some shade.

My mouth is now blue.

In the end, it was good for Mam's. They got tons of free publicity and a fabulous new location with plenty of room for kids to run in safety, a nice breeze and I prefer shopping at Kroger, so it is better for me. Yesterday, I went to Mam's and then to Kroger. My mouth was red.

Just went to MAM's, I think it's a much better location. Besides being closer to my house, it's a big open lot instead of a cramped parking lot with people driving through it. They have picnic tables set up in the back of the lot where there is some shade.

My mouth is now blue.

Awesome! I think my kiddo's and I will take a lil walk tonight and give them a try. Get a nice treat for getting a little exercise... works for me! :D

If some (or just one) of the neighbors didn't like MAM's, they are going to hate what is gonna happen at the property for sale in the attached HAR listing. (I live a block east of here and I know I'm dreading what might happen...)

http://search.har.com/engine/dispSearch.cf...s=3&sType=0

this deserves its own thread

Archived