Riding Out The Storm?

lockmat

I'm all for it. I have always thought one should re-imburse the government for ambulance rides and so forth. However, it just irks the hell out of me that this bill is being sponsored by some yahoo out of Dallas. I would have preferred it originate from someone closer to the coast. What if someone drives into Turtle Creek after a hurricane comes ashore and stalls over north Texas? Does it apply then?

I'm all for it. I have always thought one should re-imburse the government for ambulance rides and so forth. However, it just irks the hell out of me that this bill is being sponsored by some yahoo out of Dallas. I would have preferred it originate from someone closer to the coast. What if someone drives into Turtle Creek after a hurricane comes ashore and stalls over north Texas? Does it apply then?

Since mandatory evacuations in Texas are not enforceable by government authorities, this would put some teeth into the evacuation order. It still allows the stubborn to stay, but staying now comes with a price attached. But, I agree that a hurricane rescue bill sponsored by a Dallas area legislator smacks more of selfishness than a genuine concern for the welfare of hurricane evacuees.

I think this is exactly the right thing to do. The fact that it is sponsored by someone from Dallas isn't relevant. Those chuckleheads that ignored evacuation orders intentionally put their families and rescuers at risk. Maybe having to pay for their rescues would teach them a lesson about obeying the rules.

ingrown toenail anyone?

What on earth are you posting about?

I live up in the Spring/Woodlands area--about 75 miles inland. ALL my neighbors swear that what we experienced was no Category 2 hurricane. I have to admit, it was scary. It was frightening actually. For those who say we were too far inland is living a grand delusion. At my house I know winds topped 110 mph in gusts. With that said, all my neighbors (all of which evacuated for Rita) stayed for Ike, and now say they will never do it again and will leave at the approach of the next storm. So I think we're going to see a huge panic and exodus like we did for Rita and the storm will wind up being a false alarm. Then the next hurricane to come around, everybody will stay, experience it and be scared, and then leave for the next one . See the cycle?

I've looked at the charts, and my area did have winds SUSTAINED between 80 and 90 mph (I'm located just outside the orange dot over northern harris county and southern montgomery county). With that kind of wind in the boundary layer, I'm sure we had winds gusting to 100 to 115 mph. Take a look at the map below.

http://www.atmo.ttu.edu/TTUHRT/HwindSwath.png

*source: Texas Tech

I see lawsuit written all over this one...

1) When a mayor can dick around and not issue a mandatory evacuation and give residents adequate time to leave, the govt has no right to bill those residents for the rescue. Issue the evactuation 72 hours before landfall or this bill is crap.

2) I would venture to guess that 90%+ of residents who stayed didnt have a car or a means to get out on their own... billing them is fine in theory, but money doesnt grow on trees.

Its a useless bill that cannot be enforced.

• The title was changed to Riding Out The Storm?

Archived