Houtex Inn Collapse

One dead, two injured..

Police and rescue personnel arrived at the old HouTex Inn in the 6300 block of the Gulf Freeway around 4:15 to find workers standing beside a collapsed building. Using dogs, special cameras and

THis place was getting "torn down" before ike...They just started to work on it again since Sept a few weeks ago...Did they expect "safe conditions" after the floor being exposed to rain, wind and snow? Of course my heart goes to the person that lost there life. Poor old guy probably trying to make ends meet...

THis place was getting "torn down" before ike...They just started to work on it again since Sept a few weeks ago...Did they expect "safe conditions" after the floor being exposed to rain, wind and snow? Of course my heart goes to the person that lost there life. Poor old guy probably trying to make ends meet...

I agree, I hope that they pull down the rest before they fall down on others.

Thats the wierd thing about this place. They were not tearing it down but rather rebuilding the exsisiting structures. Two of the buildings have already been sheeted with new wood and there are pre made roofing truces on site. They were refurbishing these things as low income housing. I drive by every day on my way to work and my buddy and I have both commented that they needed to just tear them down and start from scratch, but instead they are rebuilding them.

Thats the wierd thing about this place. They were not tearing it down but rather rebuilding the exsisiting structures. Two of the buildings have already been sheeted with new wood and there a pre made roofing tuces on site. They were refirbishing these things as low income housing. I drive by every day on my way to work and my buddy and I have both commented that they needed to just tear them down and start from scratch, but instead they are rebuilding them.

heh, that was what I was trying to say.

my commute takes me south on 45 in the mornings, and north in the evenings (I decided a trip to HEB for some milk, and then to travel down telephone rather than getting back on 45 was a good choice), and almost every time I pass those things, I shake my head in wonder that someone thought a rebuild was a good idea.

I knew that would happen. That wreck of a place was ruined and weakend after Ike, correct. Anyone could see how bad it had got.

Imagine, they were going to have seniors living in low rent living here?

As noted in another topic months ago, this cheesy motel was built around 1982 then went into steady decline during the 80's. Quickly became a low down haven for the ever-so-near, Telephone Road red light crowd (to put it lightly) then really hit the skids circa 1990. Must be in Crater Houston section. MUST.

(Forest Park Lawndale Cemetary, if you are reading this Please Buy This Property and make ready for burial plots) Its all for the best.

Smell lawsuits anyone?

My prayer goes out to the family of the deceased. May he RIP. That place was an eyesore and wasn't stable. I agree, it's odd to think that rebuilding was a good idea. The structures should have been torn down.

Was this the old Holiday Inn at I-45 and Telephone?

No sir, that was totally removed years ago and was located at 45 and Wayside (I used to work there as a teen).

The dump that collapsed was located at Griggs /45 right across the bridge from that sleazy, dive, Sappy Days Bar.

and I also am gratefully sorry that some had to pay the ultimate price at the cost of saving $. :angry:-_-

Ambulance chasers, where art though?

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- There's new information about a deadly building collapse Tuesday in southeast Houston. We've learned that the builder requested it be inspected only a couple of hours before the incident.

Investigators spent the day near Griggs and the Gulf Freeway searching the scene to try to find out what happened.

There are seven buildings at the construction site. We learned that six of them had been inspected. The building that collapsed, had not been inspected.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...article-6763700

• 9 months later...

I know this is an old thread but looks like this place might be up and running fairly soon. I don't especially like their colors but the whole place looks like an improvement over the old Hou Tex.

I Know what you mean. It's a marginal improvement. The colors looks gray-ish. I cant recall if this is section 8.

It's supposed to open for business in February. I do agree, the colors are anything but grayish. The metal work is supposed to look like those paper cutouts some restaurants have, if memory serves, the old Ninfa's had them hanging from the ceiling at one time. Go to newhopehousing.com to read all about it.

It's supposed to open for business in February. I do agree, the colors are anything but grayish. The metal work is supposed to look like those paper cutouts some restaurants have, if memory serves, the old Ninfa's had them hanging from the ceiling at one time. Go to newhopehousing.com to read all about it.

didn't know that was the design but did tour 2 of their facilities. definitely an improvement over the previous owners.

Great photos, thanks! Very colorful though not my taste. They do look a little like those paper cut out things.

I do hope it works out for the folks who'll be living there. Seems if they don't have vehicles, the food stores, HEB and Sellers will both be a good walk. I know, there's always the bus but that would be a round about way of getting to either store.

Now, if they can just do something with that building next door to the New Hope.

• The title was changed to Houtex Inn Collapse

Archived