Is This Photo Of Westheimer Altered/Photoshopped?

LookingToMove

There is a similar internet forum where a photo of Westheimer is being presented as a negative portrayal of Houston. It is a poster from Dallas who keeps posting it. There are accusations the photo has been altered (with clutter added) because the highrise is too close in the photo, and the intersection doesn't look the same on Google maps street view (location on Westheimer @ Lazy Hollow, approx 8650 Westheimer).

Can some experts weigh in on their opinions?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7150406-post242.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s...-cities-25.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/7141406-post38.html

There is a similar internet forum where a photo of Westheimer is being presented as a negative portrayal of Houston. It is a poster from Dallas who keeps posting it. There are accusations the photo has been altered (with clutter added) because the highrise is too close in the photo, and the intersection doesn't look the same on Google maps street view (location on Westheimer @ Lazy Hollow, approx 8650 Westheimer).

I wouldn't necessarily say it's photoshopped, but it's definitely distorted, maybe with some sort of telephoto lens effect. Although all of the telephone poles and the ultra large Transco in the back seems to be additions.

Here is the original picture:

2767203360_764926a17f_b.jpg

Here is the Google view of the "same" location, in between Fondren and Lazy Hollow. Target is definitely behind the building with the red letters, but I think that's all that's real.

Picture%2011.png

The picture looks closer to the Westheimer/Fondren intersection looking east. The picture definitely looks 'enhanced'. Although many of the buildings seen to the side are legitimate, they seem to be compressed in such a way that it makes the picture look very crowded. And the Williams Tower in the background is several miles away, so that seems to support that this image has somehow been doctored to suggest all of this activity is taking place over a few linear blocks. In the google maps link, move a bit to the west towards Fondren and then look east and see how visible the road sign is for 'Lazy Hollow'. i.e. its not as this image suggests.

It's possible that it's just the angle creating a forced perspective. The Google car takes pictures from the middle of the street, while the photographer of the image in question appears to have only stepped off the curb a couple of feet.

You can create the same effect by taking a picture down the side of a picket fence -- all the pickets move closer together than they really are.

Also taking the photo from a long way away with a zoom lens will flatten it out, making the Williams Tower as well as other buildings and telephone poles in the distance appear much closer than they really are.

It could also be that it's both the perspective and photoshopping, but since I don't live in that neighborhood I'm can't judge that.

This reminds me of a pic in Time magazine about 15-20 years ago, showing Houston's billboard population. It was around the time that the moratorium was enacted. I think it was snapped on the Katy Freeway. It made it look as though Houston had about 100 billboards per mile.

Edit: {So it made sense}

Here is the view from the other side of the red letter building - the Target sign is barely visible. There is no way the Lazy Hollow street sign would be visible with any kind of lens and still be in the same visual field as the red letters on the building. My guess is that it was taken with a telephoto lens and then the landmarks were pasted back in to make the picture look somewhat believable. But I'm not an expert on this type of thing at all.

Picture%2012.png

Notice too that there are two different sets of Street View images taken on two very different days. They go back and forth between days as you move down the street.

How often do you see two speed limit signs that close to each other?? And the street must look like a Used Car Lot at night with all those extra street lamps.

Obviously this photo is altered to make us look cluttered, we all know Westheimer doesn't look like this. I agree maybe not photoshopped but rather a lens effect.

Whomever this Dallas poster is, he's obviously got no way to take pride in his city except to make desperate attempts to defame ours. :angry:

Wherever he is posting this nonsense I hope someone else is there to quickly dispute this photo's accuracy and discredit this individual.

I found myself at Westheimer and Kirkwood this morning and instead of going back to I-10 to do 80mph to 610, i decided to inspect this picture.

I don't know any setting or perspective that will naturally produce that photo. The photo'd been shrunk. But that stretch is also u-u-uglyyy. I did enjoyed the coasting though, catching no red light from Kirkwood until i veered right to W Alabama in the Galleria. Two bad things: my wife's navi system kept yelling at me to go use Westpark tollway and one woman that looks like sefvif's avatar left her pointer on, yapping on the phone and wonder why I flashed my headlights at her.

Why does Houston have to have so many overhead power lines? It makes it look so blighted!

If I recall correctly form the last thread on the subject, it's because the loudest people are cheap and short-sighted.

The sight of (2) speed limit signs showing 35 mph is a clear indication that the perspective was messed with in the photo.

It's pretty easy to figure out where they are. It looks to me like the signs are about a block apart on the south side of the street a couple of blocks west of Target. Surely some HAIFer who works in the area can take a drive through that area and let us know if there are two 35MPH signs shortly after the FM sign.

I agree with meme, 100%, that was just shot at the right angle and right lens, that has compressed all the media in it. I think it is a great shot, and for some reason, it is not ugly to me. I could see going with alot less power poles, but what are ya gonna do ?

• 3 weeks later...

The photo was likely not 'doctored', but effects were used to dramatically compress the distance. The street lights along Westheimer are actually more than 1 foot apart and Target is not that close to Williams Tower.

Actually the only thing that really looks bad in this picture is the congestion of telephone poles and power lines. Even though they are not as close as the photo indicates, they are still an eyesore. However, this problem exists somewhere in every city in the US.

The photo does not really make Houston look bad (it could be anywhere) as much as it highlights flaws in modern urban development.

not photoshopped. westheimer is really that ugly it's just that the pic was taken from a perspective we normally do not see. on the side walk. LOL. houstonians only know this city based on what they see from the road.

the google image is wide angle to get both side of the street in view.

No comment of the pictures. Are you still considering moving? I've lived in Fleetwood for 30 years and like the yard size and location. Happy to provide any input needed if you are still pondering.

Is this photo of Westheimer altered/photoshopped?

No.

Taken today with with 400mm zoom lens from the Fondren intersection. Only major difference I see is the Lazy Hollow sign has fallen or been relocated.

gallery_1072_87_216480.jpg

Original

2767203360_764926a17f_b.jpg

Although all of the telephone poles and the ultra large Transco in the back seems to be additions.
Fail.
And the Williams Tower in the background is several miles away, so that seems to support that this image has somehow been doctored to suggest all of this activity is taking place over a few linear blocks.
Fail.
My guess is that it was taken with a telephoto lens and then the landmarks were pasted back in to make the picture look somewhat believable.
Fail again.
Obviously this photo is altered to make us look cluttered, we all know Westheimer doesn't look like this. I agree maybe not photoshopped but rather a lens effect.
Using an actual telephoto lens does not constitute "an effect" or being altered. Fail.
The perspective has been altered. It's not a normal photo.
Fail.
I don't know any setting or perspective that will naturally produce that photo.
Fail.
Also taking the photo from a long way away with a zoom lens will flatten it out, making the Williams Tower as well as other buildings and telephone poles in the distance appear much closer than they really are.
Winner.

Additional winners: Subdude, Potsey99, Memebag, Tjones, TxDave, JMancuso

Thanks for playing everyone !!

Taken today with with 400mm zoom lens from the Fondren intersection. Only difference I see is the Lazy Hollow sign has fallen or been relocated.

gallery_1072_87_216480.jpg

You are obviously in cahoots with the trickster who photoshopped the original picture. ;)

I went by there a couple weeks ago but had a 50mm lens on and didn't bother.

Nice investigative photography Highway6!

flipper

Archived