Offshore Technology Conference

I was reading through Tory Gattis's blog last week (houstonstrategies.blogspot.com), and I was really intrigued with his idea for a global energy technology conference in Houston.

Here are a couple of entries he posted on this:

http://houstonstrategies.blogspot.com/2007...technology.html

http://houstonstrategies.blogspot.com/2007...or-houston.html

A couple of excerpts:

The model I'm thinking about here is the South-by-Southwest (SXSW) mega-conference in Austin every year focused on music, movies, and interactive media. It grew from something pretty small to a true mega-event that gets national and even international coverage every year. We need a similar event, starting modestly but growing aggressively. One that brings together academic researchers, inventors, entrepreneurs, venture capitalists, policy makers, and the big energy companies (who can be researchers, innovators, and technology buyers themselves). It should be known as THE critical annual event for people who want to keep up with what's going on in the realm of energy technology.
For what it's worth, I would argue that the goal should be to establish *the* largest, signature, flagship conference on energy technology in the world, broadly covering both renewables and traditional sources. It should be the one that attracts the broader generalist media - not just the niche industry media. As an example, there are lots of auto shows, but the Detroit one is where the major announcements and product unveilings are made, and both the industry and general media give it strong coverage. There are lots of film festivals, but all the buzz is around Sundance and Cannes. Comdex in Vegas used to be that show for technology (and they would *fill* the city with it, booking almost all available hotel rooms - it was the "must attend" event for everyone in tech). Austin's SXSW has become that level of show in music and creative media.

...and then a Chronicle reply:

http://blogs.chron.com/houstonpolitics/200...ur_brand_1.html

It would be like the OTC + Aspen Institute + Burning Man + SXSW + the Rodeo. Houston would reinforce its image as the energy capital but update that image for the 21st century.

My initial thoughts are that this would be extremely beneficial to the city. I think this is worthy of a discussion here.

• Like 1

Houston already has the OTC (Off Shore Technology Conference) and there are dozens of other oil conferences already in existence so starting another is probably a non-starter

to have a decent conference you really need to have something to conference about and you really need to get it going when the industry is getting going not 100+ years later when the industry is extremely mature

A much better idea would be an expanded conference like the previous wind energy conference that went well beyond wind and LARGE wind and included small wind, large and small solar with both PV and heat concentration, geohydronic for large and small users, energy storage like flywheels, underground and above ground compressed air, pumped hydro, stored superchilled/heated liquids, batteries, green building and controls (that make sense besides the LEED BS), off peek usage strategies, and policy, research, development, and commercialization for these technologies

• 2 years later...

It's finally happening!

New energy tradeshow to launch in Houston in 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

June 23, 2011

HOUSTON—The nation’s energy capital will host a groundbreaking new tradeshow next year bringing together professionals from the full range of energy industry sectors to discuss the current and future landscape of this evolving field.

Total Energy USA is expected to draw approximately 7,500 attendees to Houston October 16-18, 2012 for the largest tradeshow of its kind in the country.

Unlike other industry events that have a narrower focus or may be aligned to certain interests, Total Energy USA will provide a balanced forum with an opportunity for all energy sectors—fossil, nuclear, renewables, and cross-cutting sectors like energy-efficiency—to be represented. The resulting mix will create new business opportunities for participants as they discuss how to balance locally available resources, economics, reliability and environmental impact when making important energy decisions.

“For more than a century, Houston has been the hub for petrochemical production and innovation,” said Houston Mayor Annise Parker. “The creation of Total Energy USA puts us one step closer to being the world’s energy capital—not just in traditional fuels but in the future of alternative energy.”

Total Energy USA is being produced by VP International. Partners in the initiative include the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau, Greater Houston Partnership and the Houston Technology Center.

“Total Energy USA is based on the principle that addressing our nation’s energy challenges will require that we consider all energy options, conventional and non-conventional, along with energy efficiency and reducing energy use,” said Vinnie Polito, managing director for VP International, the event’s producer. By opening up the field and collaborating with associations, media and organizations across the renewable energy spectrum, Polito believes that Total Energy USA will answer the need for an industry event that “elevates the dialogue, broadens the opportunities and paints the complete energy picture.”

“This event represents a unique opportunity for Houston to capitalize on our knowledge base in the energy industry,” said Greg Ortale, president and CEO of the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau. “Energy is the backbone of our economy and Total Energy USA will offer our local companies a home-field advantage for networking and deal-making with firms from around the world.”

"To meet our energy needs we must look at all options - fossil fuels, nuclear and renewable sources of power - as well as harnessing the power of smart energy to empower consumers to make informed decisions about how they purchase and use energy," said John Ragan, NRG Energy regional president, Texas. "By bringing all of these together, Total Energy USA will help build understanding of sound, energy-related decisions."

What is Total Energy USA?

Total Energy USA will be an annual trade event that will bring together all of the energy sectors to provide a comprehensive look at the overarching, integrated industry. This business-to-business tradeshow and educational conference will be the largest of its kind in the United States.

What's unique about this event?

Total Energy USA is the only event in the U.S. that brings traditional fuels and energy efficiency together with clean and renewable energy technologies. Furthermore, unlike other events that focus on a particular segment of the industry, Total Energy will offer a balanced forum for delegates to make their own decisions and for sponsors to showcase their products on a level playing field.

When and where?

The inaugural event will take place October 16-18, 2012 at the George R. Brown Convention Center in downtown Houston.

Who's involved in creating Total Energy USA?

VP International is producing Total Energy USA. Partners in the initiative include the Greater Houston Convention and Visitors Bureau, Greater Houston Partnership, the Houston Technology Center and the Technology Transition Corporation.

Who will be the exhibitors at Total Energy USA?

The event is expected to draw approximately 400 exhibitors affiliated with the energy industry, including associations, builders/architects, component equipment suppliers, equipment manufacturers, project developers and operators and professionals in fields such as renewable energy development, solar design, wind services and more.

Who will attend?

An estimated 7,500 energy professionals, leaders, researchers, academics and others interested in our energy future including architects, builders, community leaders, developers and energy consultants, government officials, power producers, landowners, large energy users, media, oil and gas suppliers and more. Total Energy USA is designed specifically for those working in the energy industry. Attendance estimates are based on the performance of similar tradeshows previously held around the world.

Why is this happening in Houston?

Houston has a long history in the petroleum industry. But today the nation's fourth-largest city and nucleus of the energy sector is focused on the total energy landscape, from petrochemicals to wind power. No other city offers the combination of energy-related expertise, resources and technology—or the commitment to leveraging opportunities for development, commercialization and networking.

Is exactly the way you thought of it? What are the differences?

Pretty much. Of course I was thinking bigger - full week, mix with OTC, etc. - but they'll have to start small and grow it to that. I like the mid-Oct dates - good weather in Houston. It should reflect well on the city for the visitors. I also wish they had "technology" in the name, and maybe "global" instead of "USA", but those are minor quibbles. It should be a great long-term branding, economic development, and tourism asset for the city.

Pretty much. Of course I was thinking bigger - full week, mix with OTC, etc. - but they'll have to start small and grow it to that. I like the mid-Oct dates - good weather in Houston. It should reflect well on the city for the visitors. I also wish they had "technology" in the name, and maybe "global" instead of "USA", but those are minor quibbles. It should be a great long-term branding, economic development, and tourism asset for the city.

Will the people/companies they want to come to this come simply because they created this opportunity/venue?

Will the people/companies they want to come to this come simply because they created this opportunity/venue?

Good question. I assume they have experienced people putting together the trade show to make sure. And of course they can draw on the GHP to get all of the big local energy players to participate, including their alternative energy units. Then they can use those attendance commitments to draw in companies from outside Houston. I think a lot of the small alternative energy players will want to participate in hopes of drawing investment from the big energy companies based here.

I think a lot of the small alternative energy players will want to participate in hopes of drawing investment from the big energy companies based here.

I was gonna ask you, is there already a convention for alternative energy? I found these so far...

Detroit: http://ww2.esd.org/EVENTS/2011/2011-03-02-AltEnergy.htm

Aberdeen: http://www.all-energy.co.uk/

Renewable world energy conference in California: http://www.renewableenergyworld-events.com/index.html

And a list of all kinds of energy conferences: http://www.conferencealerts.com/energy.htm

Should Houston be so presumptuous that just b/c we are the "energy capital of the world" that this will be a hit and take over all others? I guess our synergy doesn't hurt.

I was gonna ask you, is there already a convention for alternative energy? I found these so far...

Detroit: http://ww2.esd.org/E...2-AltEnergy.htm

Aberdeen: http://www.all-energy.co.uk/

Renewable world energy conference in California: http://www.renewable....com/index.html

And a list of all kinds of energy conferences: http://www.conferenc....com/energy.htm

Should Houston be so presumptuous that just b/c we are the "energy capital of the world" that this will be a hit and take over all others? I guess our synergy doesn't hurt.

The Aberdeen model looks like the model for the one here, with our differentiation being USA and fall instead of spring. You're right - there is plenty of competition. Hopefully we'll be able to compete. It can't hurt that we can instantly get an attendance of thousands of locals - we really don't have to draw that many travelers to have a big conference. That will get it the critical mass, and build from there.

• The title was changed to Offshore Technology Conference

Schlumberger Ltd. (NYSE: SLB), the world's largest oil field services company, has decided to withdraw from the Offshore Technology Conference due to Covid-19.

The company, which has primary offices in Houston, Paris, London and the Hague, cited the rapid increase in local hospitalization rates as the reason for the decision. Harris County raised its Covid-19 threat level back to "red" last week, advising residents to stay home unless fully vaccinated.

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2021/08/13/schlumberger-cancels-otc-plans-due-to-covid-19.html