Best Mexican Restaurant

chuy's is my favorite down here (that creamy jalapeno is unbeatable), and freebirds for the fast burrito. though neither of those are technically mexican, i prefer tex-mex.

i put both of these on my must avoid list. To wait in line at chuy's and then sit down and have mediocre food is not worth it. Freebirds too. A friend of mine said it was the best....so i tried it. What turned me off was the consistency of the tortilla. A tortilla should not be rubbery nor should it be put in the microwave! it needs to be browned to take out the rubbery consistency either directly over a fire or on a comal (griddle). I told several friends this and they have ALL converted.

I don't get the appeal of Berryhill either.  like i say...if there's not a mexican eating there, then most likely it's not good mexican.

Well of course this is a very subjective topic. I for one think the Spinach and Corn Tamales at Berryhill are some of the best tamales I have ever eaten. I can not vouch for the rest of the menu as I have not tried anything else.

If you are talking tamales I would love to hear about a place that has better tamales than Berryhill.

I have been to a lot of mexican food restaurants around Houston, San Antonio, and around Texas for that matter. But to me the best mexican food in the houston metro area is ,hands down, Eva's Mexican Food Restaurant. Excellent food at good prices. Best tasting salsa in town. It is located off of Kuykendahl, about a 1/4 mile north of 1960. If you are ever in the area stop by it, you won't regret it B)

I have been to Eva's and thought it was good. Last weekend, I tried a new restaurant recently opened in the woodlands area called Tin Star, and I really think their green and red sauces are some of the best I've ever tasted anywhere in the Greater Houston area, and I love Mexican food! Here's their menu:

Tin Star menu

If you are talking tamales I would love to hear about a place that has better tamales than Berryhill.

To be honest, ordering a tamal is something i usually don't do at restaurants because they always add chili on top of it. There's usually too much masa and not enough filling. I usually get them from this lady i know when she decides to make them.

The ones that are found here are border tamales with the darker masa. Go to Mexico City or Puebla and they make them with white masa. Your mouth will water when you taste them.

All I can tell you guys is Berryhill's pork tamales are the best I have ever had. I have never had sauce put on them, but I think they give it to you on the side. Lord, I never had anything quite that tasty and savory. Very addictive.

Just because there are no Mexicans eating there doesn't mean much. The history of Berryhill will be enough to tell you the recipes are authentic. A lot of their food (like the baja fish tacos, omg! so good) is not Tex-Mex but more Cal-Mex/Pacifica kind of stuff.

It's darned good, and I highly recommend it. I believe their tamales have been rated the best in Houston at one time or another by the Press. Their fish tacos were rated "The Best EVER" by Zagat, so I guess they can't be too bad... ;)

A brief history:

Since 1928, Walter Berryhill made and sold tamales from a recipe he borrowed from a neighbor. For 40 years he sold them on his bicycle right here in Houston. He retired in 1960. In 1993 a friend bought the recipe, cart, and press, and opened the original taqueria on Revere Street in Walter's honor.

To be honest, ordering a tamal is something i usually don't do at restaurants because they always add chili on top of it.  There's usually too much masa and not enough filling.  I usually get them from this lady i know when she decides to make them.

The ones that are found here are border tamales with the darker masa.  Go to Mexico City or Puebla and they make them with white masa.  Your mouth will water when you taste them.

As Parrothead said, the tamales at Berryhill don't come smothered in chili. They do have a sauce that is served on the side, but it complements the flavor of the tamale rather well, instead of overpowering it. Also, they are one of the few restaurants I've ever eaten in where tamales are served in the corn husks.

As for the masa versus filling ratio, I've seen this a lot at other restaurants. However Berryhill's tamales are usually stuffed with filling and are very close to the ones I've eaten that were made by Mexican immigrants at home for their own consumption. I've not tried their tacos or much else on the menu, but the tamales are outstanding and by far the best I've ever had in a restaurant.

As for the masa versus filling ratio, I've seen this a lot at other restaurants. However Berryhill's tamales are usually stuffed with filling and are very close to the ones I've eaten that were made by Mexican immigrants at home for their own consumption. I've not tried their tacos or much else on the menu, but the tamales are outstanding and by far the best I've ever had in a restaurant.

Berryhill's should definetely be tried. They are not very expensive and with all the new locations should be rather easy to find. I have bought tamales from street vendors and poor mexican families (usually they walk around to all the midtown ice houses and bars). The vendor tamles are good, but they do not hold a candle to the tamales at Berryhills. Seriously, they are that good at Berryhill's.

ok ok ... you guys forced me and I went to Berryhills and had the tamales for lunch. I agree they were very good. About on par with the fresh homemade one's one of my coworkers used to make around christmas time.

The sauce that came with them was delish.

ok ok ... you guys forced me and I went to Berryhills and had the tamales for lunch. I agree they were very good. About on par with the fresh homemade one's one of my coworkers used to make around christmas time.

The sauce that came with them was delish.

Haha see we told you!

Now I'm hungry, haven't had lunch yet, and all this talk about Berryhill Tamales is making me want some. I think I'm going to head over there for some right now.

I'm more Tex-Mex than Mexican type of guy. With that said:

Pappasito's - Fajitas & Quesadillas

Any straight up "Mexi-CAN" Taco Truck/Stand - Tortas & Tacos

Chili's - Chili Con Queso

So I don't know all the cool "underground places & joints" like you guys know. I still enjoy what these places have to offer. Oh, and I'm not really a fan of beans either.

Also.. I've found that when it comes to taco trucks & stands, the less English they speak, the better the food tastes!

LOL. You are right on.

The greatest chimichanga there is exists at Chapultapec, a little dive on Richmond near 59. I've been there probably 50 times and have never even ordered anything else. The chips and salsa aren't that great, though.

we used to only go their if we had been drinking heavily so i guess food quality wasn't a factor.

#1) Felix Restaurant on Montrose (they say they're not closing after all, and this should be the de facto choice for any native Houstonian)

#2) Jarro Cafe, N. of Memorial City/I-10 on Gessner - supposedly the owners are from Mexico City. Very interesting dishes and cheeeep.

#3) Berryhills- Post Oak or Revere locations are reliable (#1 for fish tacos)

No mention of Fajita Flats?

Good food, great atmosphere, awesome margarittas, and oh yeah, the food is good.

It is a across the board winner. The food is better at pappasitos, but flats is more fun.

Im at flats several times a week.

No mention of Fajita Flats?

Good food, great atmosphere, awesome margarittas, and oh yeah, the food is good.

It is a across the board winner.  The food is better at pappasitos, but flats is more fun.

Im at flats several times a week.

I'll tell you what Fajita Flats is good for.... Those long margarita lunches where you just never quite make it back to work. Did that for two years... but it was ok I was with my boss.

That place does get crazy. Watch out for womens birthdays... the waiters do some funky stuff. I think I blushed. :o