Daniel Cooley Elementary School At 300 W. 17th St.

Whitesman

Does anyone have pics or postcards of Cooley Elementary School?? It used to be between W.16th and W. 17th close to Yale Street. ( or real close to there). The bus used to go down Yale to W.16th.

I remember the cafeteria was in the basement and the school was ( I think) 3 stories and had fire escape ladders on the outside of the building.

The area is now some HISD Administration buildings.

I went there for 2 years when we moved here in 1958, then when Sinclair Elementary opened in 1960, I went there.

I would like to see some pics or post card pics of the old school.

Does anyone have pics or postcards of Cooley Elementary School?? It used to be between W.16th and W. 17th close to Yale Street. ( or real close to there). The bus used to go down Yale to W.16th.

I remember the cafeteria was in the basement and the school was ( I think) 3 stories and had fire escape ladders on the outside of the building.

The area is now some HISD Administration buildings.

I went there for 2 years when we moved here in 1958, then when Sinclair Elementary opened in 1960, I went there.

I would like to see some pics or post card pics of the old school.

I know someone has a picture or 2 of my old school.... come on help a guy out..... :rolleyes:

You might ask isuredid, who has this old Harris County schools photo collection.

Or Heights2Bastrop, who posted elsewhere that his dad went to Cooley for a short time.

Couldn't find a picture, but -

"In 1961, a fire destroyed Cooley Elementary School. Because of recent expansion at Barrick Elementary, there was room to hold the population of both schools. Miss Evelyn Winfrey retired in 1964 after 15 years of service at Barrick. In 1964, a new principal, Mr. Joe B. Brooks, came to Barrick from DeZavala Elementary. In the spring of 1965, the cafeteria air conditioning system was installed. It was the first air conditioning for Barrick."

• 2 years later...

If this HAS been sold, it'll add to the massive amount of developable land available in this part of the Heights. In addition to this area, there's the better part of half a block at 17th and Ashland (already cleared), several contiguous lots at 18th and Ashland, the remainder of the Sullivan Brother's project on W 23rd/W 22nd, and what is apparently over 250,000 s.f. of the former National Flame and Forge on 24th (an entire block, and then some).

I think it will take some time for the area to absorb that much new housing. Hopefully at least some of it will be developed as commercial space.

Driving past the corner of 26th and Rutland the other day, there was a sign on Foundation Steel & Wire's office building saying that it was available for sale or lease. If this area becomes available in addition to NFF's property, that would be about half-a-million square ft or more, basically 3 entire city blocks, 2 bounded by Nicholso, Rutland, 25th and 26th, and 1 bounded by Ashland, Rutland, 24th and 25th, plus a little chunk at the NW corner of Rutland and 26th.

This property at Rutland has housed HISD offices of some sort on the 17th street side and an alternative program for substance abusers on the 16th street side (portable buildings). There have been two large Cushman for sale signs for about a year. They are gone, no one has showed up for school yet and the offices moved out a couple of weeks ago. It is deserted. Maybe it is "sale pending", but I am fairly sure it has been sold, particularly since I read the comment about several properties being sold. I just hope it isn't another super center!

BTW, there is now a sign up at the land on the NW corner of 18th and Ashland announcing a development by Farb Homes and Urban Living. No details available (on the sign or on either company's site), but given the history of these two companies elsewhere in town, I'd expect 3-story homes with front-facing garages. An earlier variance request to allow alley access on these lots was withdrawn (by the petitioner) from a July planning commission meeting.

• 3 weeks later...

Sullivan Brothers is now the owner of this property per HCAD. I am pretty sure that means we won't get what was put on the 8th street school property, but I am not sure what it will be. Thinking positive thoughts . . . .

The houses they put (are putting) up on 23rd St are pretty nice, so I'm optimistic.

They also seem to be very patient, only building a few houses at a time so as not to saturate the market, so I'm also not expecting big things very soon.

The houses they put (are putting) up on 23rd St are pretty nice, so I'm optimistic.

They also seem to be very patient, only building a few houses at a time so as not to saturate the market, so I'm also not expecting big things very soon.

The Sullivans also built in our neighborhood on Nicholson. They respect the neighborhood with great design and they were very considerate of the neighbors.

On the other hand, across Ashland from here, InTown will be developing the NW corner of Ashland and 17th, most likely townhouses: http://www.intown-homes.com/communities.aspx?midcia=2&wlink=19 , according to the sign on the property, starting in the low $300s.

And Farb will be developing the NW corner of Ashland and 18th, also most likely townhouses, priced in the $400s according to the sign on the property.

• 1 month later...

I attended Cooley for a while in the 50's, it was semi unique in that there was a basement in the front of the corner. That section was demolished a long time ago, I can tell you that back then there were mulberry trees all along the front of the property and in season the hallways and ceilings were dripping from all the fights we had. That basement was used for ugh! dance classes.. my life started off with a bad note and will probably end on one, my dance partner had wet clammy hands, I'll never forget it, her hands smelled sweaty and I couldn't stand it, until I got older. Yeah we had those Safety Patrols where you got to wear a white helmet and a white cross over belt with a big shiny badge!, you were assigned a street corner where you be would allowed to leave the class 15 minutes before the bell rang so you could get your long cane pole that had a little red flag that said stop, and you stopped any cars to allow the kids to cross the street. Quite a big deal when your just a kid and to be unsupervised was even better. heh

Project No:10098230

Date :2010/10/25 00:00:00

USE :DEMO BLD/SEWER DISC

Owner/Occupant :*HISD/COOLEY CAMPUS (ALTERNATIVE CERT)

Job Address :300 W 17TH ST 77008

Valuation :$ 0

Permit Type :SDFCC

Group :Demo; Other Building(s)

Buyer :*CHERRY DEMOLITION *

Address :6131 SELINSKY 77048

Phone :(713) 991-6236

• 2 weeks later...

Project No:10098230

Date :2010/10/25 00:00:00

USE :DEMO BLD/SEWER DISC

Owner/Occupant :*HISD/COOLEY CAMPUS (ALTERNATIVE CERT)

Job Address :300 W 17TH ST 77008

Valuation :$ 0

Permit Type :SDFCC

Group :Demo; Other Building(s)

Buyer :*CHERRY DEMOLITION *

Address :6131 SELINSKY 77048

Phone :(713) 991-6236

FYI,the old Cooley Campus was almost fully demolished when we walked past on Friday.

• 1 month later...

Archived