1. 1. Firefox or Explorer

• Firefox
    • Explorer
    • Opera
    • Camino
    • SeaMonkey
    • Netscape Navigator 9
    • Safari

FF is a memory hog - the next verison is rumored to address that issue. That aside it is just nicer to use & plenty fast. A lot of sites are (lazily) coded to IE though so I haven't removed it from my machine.

And what's not to love about the FF's Clear Private Data function?

On those rare occasions I have to use a Windows machine, it's Firefox for me.

But why only have Firefox and Exploder as options in the poll? What about Safari, Opera, and the other browsers? My old boss is a die-hard Windows man. I got him to try Safari and he liked it so much better than Internet Exploder that he installed five other browsers to see what the world has to offer. He eventually settled on Opera as his cup of tea.

I recently downloaded the updated version of IE on one of my machines. It includes tabbed pages and is basically their theft of Firefox, but it had problems with a number of sites, including everything from work, so I stopped using it. Typical Microsoft garbage.

I'm officially in the Mozilla code-base camp. I find that Camino runs faster on my Powerbook (PPC G4) but compared to the modifications I can install on Firefox, it always leaves me wanting more. I tend to switch between the two, but have never taken a liking to Safari.

Go figure.

May I ask how you do that? What is the advantage?

Just go to firefox tools, options, and the cookie option is right there. You can go private data section, click on settings and have even more options with what to do with your private data.

Advantage of removing cookies? Privacy. Companies can't track your movements. Normally, your individual data is not compromise, just your movements online, but that already reveals a lot. They use the info for marketing purposes and also know what stuff (like ads) to serve you when you visit their sites. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then its good to purge cookies whenever you close the browser, but that also means having to login every time you visit some sites.

I thought Explorer was dead. It went obsolete for Mac users some time ago. The way PCs hang onto software and hardware dinosaurs is funny.

Safari is even fading fast on the Mac. Firefox is pretty nice.

You mean the Dell laptop I saw in Starbucks the other day with the dual parallel ports, VGA output, and 3 1/2 inch floppy drive isn't state of the art?

(More like State of the Ark)

Just go to firefox tools, options, and the cookie option is right there. You can go private data section, click on settings and have even more options with what to do with your private data.

Advantage of removing cookies? Privacy. Companies can't track your movements. Normally, your individual data is not compromise, just your movements online, but that already reveals a lot. They use the info for marketing purposes and also know what stuff (like ads) to serve you when you visit their sites. If you don't feel comfortable with that, then its good to purge cookies whenever you close the browser, but that also means having to login every time you visit some sites.

Here's an example of that:

A couple of weeks ago my wife used my computer to surf for information on a particular brand of cosmetics. For the next three days, I was getting ads for that brand on entirely web sites I was surfing. Seems to have worn off. The cookie probably expired. Many self-destruct after a few days.

Archived