Perry Homes Midtown Developments Article

midtown_resident

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank goodness, some media in this developer-controlled city has the guts to disclose issues that others will not.  The Houston Press's agenda is disclosure at the very least.  I suppose that people who have invested money in Perry Homes will surely want to find fault with the message and the messenger of the story that this topic is about.

I stated earlier that no one I know would buy a Perry Home. Wrong. I good friend announced this weekend that he was planning to purchase a Perry Home, despite all he's read and heard, especially from me. His reason; he can get 2000 sq. ft. for the same price as other builders in the area charge for only 1600-1800 sq. ft.

This brings up other subjects, such as Americans obsession with size, but I can't argue with that particular fact. Perry provides more quantity than some other builders for the dollar.  The question many of us are posing  is the degree of quality that is provided. Everyone has different values and different needs. Perry clearly meets the needs of many buyers.

Those of us who dream of a time and place when consumers value quality over quantity in buildings can only keep trying to educate those that we can. Afterall why does my single friend with no children, and no plans for children - ever, believe that he needs 2000+ sq. ft. of space in his residence.

Architecture has the responsibilty of educating consumers of design and construction to understand that a properly designed facility can meet their needs and desires in ways other than forever increasing the size of the space.

I prefer quality over quantity. Could you or someone provide a ranking of home builders in Houston area, ranked according to the design and building quality? I wrote off Perry and KB from my list the moment I walked into one of their models. So far, the following builders are in my list:

David Powers

David Weekely

Newmark

Trendmaker

Plantation

Conventary (sp?)

I wasnt too impressed with Emerald and Beazer but they are certainly better than KB and the like. These are just those builders whose models I have seen.

I prefer quality over quantity. Could you or someone provide a ranking of home builders in Houston area, ranked according to the design and building quality? I wrote off Perry and KB from my list the moment I walked into one of their models. So far, the following builders are in my list:

David Powers

David Weekely

Newmark

Trendmaker

Plantation

Conventary (sp?)

I wasnt too impressed with Emerald and Beazer but they are certainly better than KB and the like. These are just those builders whose models I have seen.

The problem is that it isn't what you see in the models that says quality, it is the infrastructure (what's underneath your feet and behind the walls). Any of these builders could build a terrific house or a shoddy one--it's all brick, wood, mortar, pipes, and wiring. An AC unit itself is about the same as any other, but if installed correctly, then it is quality. Otherwise it will run, but never be efficient.

By the time the house is built, it is too late to know if it is worth what they are asking. I suppose the JDPower awards would be a place to start.

The problem is that it isn't what you see in the models that says quality, it is the infrastructure (what's underneath your feet and behind the walls).  Any of these builders could build a terrific house or a shoddy one--it's all brick, wood, mortar, pipes, and wiring.  An AC unit itself is about the same as any other, but if installed correctly, then it is quality.  Otherwise it will run, but never be efficient. 

By the time the house is built, it is too late to know if it is worth what they are asking.  I suppose the JDPower awards would be a place to start.

I agree. However, the models at least reveal the designs, quality of the finish, attention to details etc. As far whats underneath, we dont know sure. So, one would have to leave that upto the track record and reputation of the builder.

Hard to say KZ.

Many on this board may tell you to just buy a 900 sf dump and be happy with it.

Why?  Becuae it's a quality dump.

I can't think of anyone on this board who would tell someone to buy a 900 sf dump and be happy with it.

Do you ever have anything constructive, positive, or useful to add?

Maybe you don't get it, but despite the incredibly wide variety of topics on this forum, it IS the Houston ARCHITECTURE Info Forum, not the developers forum, not the business forum, not the social interaction forum, not a partisan political forum.

Some of us try to respond to the topics in some way that relates to architecture. That's not always possible, but it often is. If the issue is Perry's "architecture", there have been some very strong opinions voiced for months in that regard. If the issue is; is Perry a good business investment?, then this forum is probably not the best place for answers although obviously many posters have strong opinions on that too.

David Powers

David Weekely

Newmark

Trendmaker

Plantation

Conventary (sp?)

Those are all primarily suburban builders who build in sections of master planned communities all around Houston. I'm familiar with reasonably good reputations for all those you list except for Conventry - never heard of them. I'm far more familiar with builders who build primarily inside the loop.

The proliferation of bad quality buildings has helped give this city the terrible reputaion it has. I love this city, but it has MAJOR problems. One of the worst is the lack of controls put on developers. Now, we have many of the same developers that build all over the state and country. The problem here is that they can do whatever they damn well please. And probably the worst enemy of neighborhoods is the developer. So many of them just want to make quick money. They could care less about the history of the neighborhood or its fabric. They care about putting the thing up and making a killing from it. It's always going to be a losing battle with these guys because most of them just don't care.

Now that many of the neighborhoods are infiltrated with Perry junk and the sorts, it's absolutely imperative that the few precious structures left be saved. Without zoning or strong neighborhood guidelines it is up to the consumer to voice his/her opinion. Money speaks louder than words. Just don't buy a Perry!

Perry and countless other developers have helped give Houston the reputation of a city without a soul. For a city so diverse in so many other ways this title is disgraceful. This city has been all about business too long. The ill effects have shown, now is time to do something about it.

The proliferation of bad quality buildings has helped give this city the terrible reputaion it has.

Hey largeTexas,

If, by bad buildings, you mean those ugly strip malls then you are right that they play a big role in ruining the image of the city. However, as far as the overall architecture or quality of buildings around Houston is concerned, then I am not sure if that has actually spoiled the reputation of this town. On the contrary, most external observers find the architecture in Houston "interesting" and often quote it as a positive attribute of the city. That is not to say there arent any bad quality buildings, but I doubt if they are related to the reputation of the city as a whole. One can find bad quality buildings almost anywhere.

Having said this, I do agree that developers have way too much leeway in Houston. They are essentially running this city!

jtmbin, what gives?

you need to lighten up!

And large, tell me more about Houston's "bad reputation".

It's such a fine line between fact and opinion.

That's just it. Fact or opinion, I'm sure most of us have heard or read a fair share of negative things about Houston. The opinion has so infiltrated the country that last week when I was talking with someone from Minneapolis who had never been to Houston, they commented that they would "never" even think about visiting the city. Working in real estate trying to attract retailers to Houston, I've encountered this a number of times. Unfortunately, I've never heard anyone say they would love to visit Houston. They usually need a lot of convincing just to consider a trip down here. They would much rather go to Dallas or Austin.

That's just it. Fact or opinion, I'm sure most of us have heard or read a fair share of negative things about Houston. The opinion has so infiltrated the country that last week when I was talking with someone from Minneapolis who had never been to Houston, they commented that they would "never" even think about visiting the city. Working in real estate trying to attract retailers to Houston, I've encountered this a number of times. Unfortunately, I've never heard anyone say they would love to visit Houston. They usually need a lot of convincing just to consider a trip down here. They would much rather go to Dallas or Austin.

This subject of Houston having a bad reputation has been touched upon before. Houston may have bad reputation but that doesnt necessairly make it a fact. Also, I highly doubt that people dont want to visit Houston because of bad quality buildings. There are other negative factors such as traffic, weather, pollution and, of course, negative media coverage. Still, the 6 millions or so people who call this place their home and a large number of corporations who have their offices seem to think otherwise. As for retailers, do we really need more? I cannot think of many other cities with as many national chain stores as Houston, all the way from very high-end to crappy ones.

What you really referring to is tourism. Houston is certainly NOT a tourist destination. It is certainly hard to convince people to consider a trip to Houston when there are so many other destinations. And, if they are going to come to Texas anyway, they would rather head to San Antonio for a taste of Texan history or River Walks, South Padre Island for a taste of Texan beaches or Austin for a taste of Texas Hill Country. Houston doesnt really have much to offer to tourists, except, unfortunately, bad reputation.

All one has to do is look at our housing costs to see that we have a horrible national reputation.

Until we improve our quality of life issues, we will continue to lose brain power to other cities which are perceived to be more desirable. In my opinion, this factor, more than a lack of zoning, has kept our housing costs so low.

Guest danax
All one has to do is look at our housing costs to see that we have a horrible national reputation.

Until we improve our quality of life issues, we will continue to lose brain power to other cities which are perceived to be more desirable. In my opinion, this factor, more than a lack of zoning, has kept our housing costs so low.

Right but at least part of our reputation is that we are an ugly city, which could be partly due to no-zoning.

As for retailers, do we really need more? I cannot think of many other cities with as many national chain stores as Houston, all the way from very high-end to crappy ones.

I agree that Houston is saturated with chain retailers. What we don't have is a lot of the more creative brands that are found in, say LA, NY or Chicago. Houston doesn't have a Diesel, an American Apparel, a Rice to Riches, a Stussy, a cool exclusive sneaker store, a Top Shop, a Paul Frank, a Flight 001, an Adidas Classics, a Nike Town, a Camper, a CP Company, a Calvin Klein, a Barney's, an H&M, a Marc Jacobs, etc. These are some of the brands that I'd love to see downtown. They might not make an ouce of difference to me or any of you guys, but they are all fairly urban and give the city a type of destination-feel for shoppers that like these exclusive brands.

I could be totally crazy, but I think Houston has the potential to have a viable urban shopping district in downtown and Midtown. The brands that are going to want to go there are not your typical Gap or Anne Klein (nor would we want them). Who might want to go are these edgier brands that thrive off of trendy young customers. So far, the only place to go for trendy shopping is really the Galleria. I really think Houston deserves another place for people who don't like the mall. I might be naive, but I'd love to see downtown be that place (in maybe 10 years).

Guest danax
I agree that Houston is saturated with chain retailers. What we don't have is a lot of the more creative brands that are found in, say LA, NY or Chicago.

Unfortunately, we don't have garment districts like LA and NY, which add a lot of retail color.

I certainly do not believe in this fallacy! You make it seem like Houston is begging people to stay by lowering its housing cost!

The single most important factor that determines the cost of housing is available land. In Houston, there are no natural barriers to create scarcity of land. No matter how desirable it becomes, it can still swallow many more residents without making significant dent in housing cost. Imagine if Houston was instead surrounded by mountains on all side or were an island! Currently, the number of new communities and homes under construction around Houston is simply staggering. When I was looking for a house in Seattle, there were only a handful of new communities (only about 5 in the entire east side) and therefore the choices were very limited. Combine that with the recent housing boom created by low interest rate and you get fierce competition among buyers for the few choices available.

Also, Houston has one of the highest property tax rates in the nation. If the city were so desperate to lure new comers, it would reduce the tax rate or give tax incentives to those willing to relocate. In fact, there was an article in today's New York Times that some tiny towns in Midwest and Great Plains are actually giving away free land and tax break of up to two years to anyone who would relocate there. I don

I work in other cities during the week, cities like Vancouver and San Francisco, and I still love returning to Houston on Fridays. We have a relaxed & friendly culture. I love the heavy latin influence. We attract significant musicians, theater, and artwork. There is no shortage of great restaurants. We're the energy capital of the world. Houston is a globally important city with a very humble feel. That's unusual.

I work in other cities during the week, cities like Vancouver and San Francisco, and I still love returning to Houston on Fridays.  We have a relaxed & friendly culture.  I love the heavy latin influence.  We attract significant musicians, theater, and artwork.  There is no shortage of great restaurants.  We're the energy capital of the world.  Houston is a globally important city with a very humble feel.  That's unusual.

Ah, another consultant! Just got back from Vancouver myself. What a great city! Still, I agree with you that there's nothing like returning to Houston. You make really good points. Believe it or not, we are in many ways more sophisticated as almost any other city, and our restaurants - variety and qualty - are among the best.

Agree with KZ!

There are a number of other factors that influence our housing costs such as weather, transportation and labor costs.

Back to school.

I just got off phone talking to a friend of mine in Seattle. He is trying to buy a house and what he told me is scary. He is trying to get a Quadrant home (a Quadrant home is basically Seattle's version of KB home but twice as expensive). Only 6 homes remains and there's a list of 60 applicants trying to get one of those! Obviously, it is a seller market which explains high prices.

When I was looking for a home in Seattle, I was a day late in filing paper work and the house was sold. The builder raised the price of next available home (same floor plan, same street) by $35,000!

It is crazy over there!

Ah, another consultant!  Just got back from Vancouver myself.  What a great city!  Still, I agree with you that there's nothing like returning to Houston.  You make really good points.  Believe it or not, we are in many ways more sophisticated as almost any other city, and our restaurants - variety and qualty - are among the best.

Ah yes - more consultants! I'm actually in Vancouver right now.... about to go sample the food in Yaletown.

Of course our never ending land source is a major factor in our low housing costs. It's also the main factor in why our quality of life rates so low when compared to similar sized cities.

Additonally, is it really such a good thing to have such undervalued real estate?

I ask this because my guess is that another reason we have such low housing costs is because we are one of the last regions that allows developers a blank canvas for development. We allow developers to continue to clear cut the pine forests in order to build cheap homes on 6,000 acres. We allow them to pave over the Katy Prairie and demand 24 lane highways for access that get built on the taxpayer's dime. This despite our problems with transportation, flooding, and pollution. Additonally, the weekly reports of new mega communities on the fringes with thousands of houses (this week, in Rosenburg and Texas City for Christ's sake!) will likely mean an overstock of houses. We currently have thousands of empty new homes all over the region, and yet the developers build more. God help you if you have a lived in home outside the Beltway and you need to sell. You'll never get your money out of it as long as they continue to build newer ones a few miles further out of town.

Going further, there have been numerous posts with active links in this past week that have dealt with the low quality of building Houston is witnessing. This is another MAJOR reason why our prices are so low.

There is a fine line between low costs for housing and cheap housing. I would argue that what we are seeing around town tends more towards the latter.

Of course our never ending land source is a major factor in our low housing costs. It's also the main factor in why our quality of life rates so low when compared to similar sized cities.

Additonally, is it really such a good thing to have such undervalued real estate?

I ask this because my guess is that another reason we have such low housing costs is because we are one of the last regions that allows developers a blank canvas for development. We allow developers to continue to clear cut the pine forests in order to build cheap homes on 6,000 acres. We allow them to pave over the Katy Prairie and demand 24 lane highways for access that get built on the taxpayer's dime.

Guest danax

With so much available land and no natural barriers to development, other than the ocean and bay to the south, and along with plenty of drinking water for a growing population, unlike say Phoenix or Vegas, we will end up passing Chicago in population and will become a mega-city like L.A., where eventually it will all get filled in for 2 hours in any direction. Then we'll have gridlock traffic and prices will really get ridiculous. This current housing boom outside the beltway is really speeding this process up. Perry & KB etc. will continue to be big players in our growth since they have the formula down.

Archived