Please Help Me Get Rid Of Malware

Malware installed itself about two weeks ago and I cannot get rid of it. It's driving me crazy.

I ran Ad-Aware, CCleaner and tried three different ways to manually remove it. Besides a complete system restore, what are other options?

First question: What makes you think malware was installed? What are the symptoms?

sevfiv:

Microsoft has a tool, but who knows if it would work (and assuming you have Windows):

http://www.microsoft.com/security/malwareremove/default.mspx

Also, have you seen any weird/new folders in your Program Files folder?

I haven't noticed any unusual folders.

I did waht you suggested. It says it got rid of some infected files, but Malware is still there.

memebag:

First question: What makes you think malware was installed? What are the symptoms?

Malware is the name of it. Symtoms are getting knocked off the Internet for no reason and pop-ups from Malware trying to scare me into paying for it.

Malware is the name of it. Symtoms are getting knocked off the Internet for no reason and pop-ups from Malware trying to scare me into paying for it.

Malware is the name of what? A process? The title bar on a window? A pop-up in Internet Explorer?

(My confusion comes from the fact that "malware" is a general label for all harmful software.)

memebag:

Malware is the name of what? A process? The title bar on a window? A pop-up in Internet Explorer?

(My confusion comes from the fact that "malware" is a general label for all harmful software.)

I'm sorry. It's called Malware Alarm.

Mark F. Barnes:

You are going to have to go in and physically remove it from your registry

How do I do that? I may have already tried it.

I'm sorry. It's called Malware Alarm.

How do I do that? I may have already tried it.

Google "malware alarm" and you will probably find instructions for it's removal. For example, http://hubpages.com/hub/Malware_Alarm Do you have Windows Defender installed? As far as virus/spyware/malware protection goes TrendMicro is the best IMO.

Note: If the instructions for removal include editing the registry there will be some caveat such as "back up your registry". Do not skip that step.

bangs head on monitor

I've done more than that.

Google "malware alarm" and you will probably find instructions for it's removal. For example, http://hubpages.com/hub/Malware_Alarm Do you have Windows Defender installed? As far as virus/spyware/malware protection goes TrendMicro is the best IMO.

Note: If the instructions for removal include editing the registry there will be some caveat such as "back up your registry". Do not skip that step.

I have done that and everyone has a different solution! "Download this", "no, run this", "no, download this one!".

I went to my last resort: the system recovery disc and guess what? It didn't do a thing! I put it in, restarted my computer and it didn't even acknowledge it.

Do you have Norton ANti-VIrus? They have an online help for all these messes that happen. They just go right into your CPU while online and fix everything for you.After you get this figured out I would recommend it.

Have you looked in your Add/Remove program area to see if it buried itself in there?

I've done more than that.

I have done that and everyone has a different solution! "Download this", "no, run this", "no, download this one!".

I went to my last resort: the system recovery disc and guess what? It didn't do a thing! I put it in, restarted my computer and it didn't even acknowledge it.

Try this site. http://www.pcontech.com/spyware/remove/mal...larm-remove.htm Has manual removal instructions and you can download a removal tool also.

Or dump IE and go to Firefox. Are there any Firefox users out there that can verify that?

That won't help it's a Trojan that has invaded FireFox also. I have a friend that had the stupid "Malware Alarm" pop up in his FireFox browser with all the looks if Windows XP and the looks of a genuine program, it even found several "threats" and advised him to download and install, here the really stupid part, he uses Linux and it resembles nothing like Windows XP, plus it is very difficult to get Malware and viruses on a Linux computer. what a bunch of morons those Malware Alarm programmers are. point being it can invade FireFox, only thing that saved him is that he was running a Linux OS, and as I said before is tougher to have issues with Trojans and such. As far as Safari they are fighting Malware issues of their own on top of beta testing Safari 3 for Windows. No matter what you do you have got to firewall yourself and run good security software. Malware Alarm is installed on your computer through Trojans and computer exploits. Simply put, Malware Alarm invades your computer without you even knowing it (aka Trojan Horse). Malware Alarm displays fake security alerts to trick you into buying their so called "antispyware software" when in fact they are "spyware."

Now once again, I will repeat, once again, it's embedded in your registry and is very difficult and tricky to get rid of. The way you avoid it is always run a good firewall, a lot of people like to bash Norton, but it has never let me down, I also run a full battery of Norton Internet Security, with full Phishing Protection on. If you are not capable of going in yourself and digging it out manually, the only thing I would recommend is SpyZooka. http://www.spyzooka.com/ SpyZooka is one of the best when it comes to removing spyware. No matter what you use let whatever Antispyware software you choose to do a "Full Scan" of your entire computer using a cryptographic signature like md5 or crc32 to detect and remove spyware. This is important because it eliminates false positives and allows antispyware software to remove even the most difficult spyware infections like Malware Alarm. But you should fully depend on anything "Free" doing the job for you. pay the $30.00 and get rid of your issue for good. There are a lot of different Spywares running around out there, choose your own medicine. But if you want a recommendation, "SpyZooka", that's the ticket. If not, good luck and have a nice day.

This works for me..

http://www.superantispyware.com/

They have a great free version that cleans up most evils.

If its deep in your system, try http://www.atribune.org/content/view/24/2/ and use Vundofix.

If your system gets clean, use Firefox as your browser to cut down on future invasions. Not full proof, but better than IE.

My next PC will be a MAC. But the above keeps mine running for now.

Malware installed itself about two weeks ago and I cannot get rid of it. It's driving me crazy.

I ran Ad-Aware, CCleaner and tried three different ways to manually remove it. Besides a complete system restore, what are other options?

Once your system gets infected, you will have to format your machine and reinstall the OS. From my experience, using 3rd party software, going to the registry, etc. will not help in the long run. You will see weird things happen later onas it will just be dormant for the time being. Refresh your OS and start over!! Make sure you back up your files first. No way around it!

Get the program "HijackThis" - It lists your processes running and it can be used to report data. There are forums with people who examine HijackThis data and tell people what to do.

Sifuwong, IMO reformatting is only a last resort if it can be proven that no other actions can help.

IMO, though, physically working the registry is close to being a last resort too. It can be dangerous for novices. It is best to get "Hijackthis" and report your processes. Try to shop around for advice to find easier removal techniques.

Kimberley, did you try "Safe Mode" ? It disables a lot of processes, which may include the ones used to sustain the adware.

Archived