Interested In Remodel Of 60's Ranch- Materials?

hlraphael

Can anyone advise me on what materials to use for a kitchen remodel of a 60's ranch home. It's not a mod, but it has some mod touches. I don't want to use formica/linoleum, and I'm thinking of using tile. What color/kind of tile would be appropriate. (I don't want granite/stainless steel look, but clean fresh and in keeping with thw home) I am also looking for ideas on redoing a 1970's den addition that is paneling. should I paint?

Can anyone advise me on what materials to use for a kitchen remodel of a 60's ranch home. It's not a mod, but it has some mod touches. I don't want to use formica/linoleum, and I'm thinking of using tile. What color/kind of tile would be appropriate. (I don't want granite/stainless steel look, but clean fresh and in keeping with thw home) I am also looking for ideas on redoing a 1970's den addition that is paneling. should I paint?

I was in a house in Old Braeswood that had used a silestone product for counters that looked just like poured in place terrazzo. I think that would be a good option for counters. Stainless steel countertops look good too. You might look at Floorazzo or Fritz tile for flooring. VCT can be a good look as well. Also go on lottaliving.com and you can get a lot of answers there.

I am also looking for ideas on redoing a 1970's den addition that is paneling. should I paint?

Is it real or fake? If it's real wood paneling (tounge and groove), don't paint it. It will be very difficult to undo, should you or a future owner ever want to. If it's plywood paneling, you can probably paint it without a guilty conscience.

Is it real or fake? If it's real wood paneling (tounge and groove), don't paint it. It will be very difficult to undo, should you or a future owner ever want to. If it's plywood paneling, you can probably paint it without a guilty conscience.

It's the cheap tacky fake kind-terribly nasty stuff.

I was in a house in Old Braeswood that had used a silestone product for counters that looked just like poured in place terrazzo. I think that would be a good option for counters. Stainless steel countertops look good too. You might look at Floorazzo or Fritz tile for flooring. VCT can be a good look as well. Also go on lottaliving.com and you can get a lot of answers there.

Thanks for the ideas, but I am interested in using materials they used in the 60's. Did they use stone countertops? (maybe old fashioned marble?) I would like to preserve the house as much as I can. So I was thinking of using tile on the counters and floor. I was born in 74, so I have no idea what tiles were popular in the 60's- subway tiles, square, matte, shiny? What colors were popular- other than pink, aqua, or plain white. Any advice would be great.

William Jenkins own house on Willowisp had marble countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms.

Lots of kitchens had 4" tile counters too, though it seems kind of "country" looking to me in the kitchen.

Painting paneling is a no go for me. I just don't like the look of it. I would consider repaneling it with a plywood veneer you really like and stain it accordingly. Our walnut paneled wall brings a great warmth to the room and it probably wasn't much more expensive than painting.

Jason

William Jenkins own house on Willowisp had marble countertops in the kitchen and bathrooms.

Lots of kitchens had 4" tile counters too, though it seems kind of "country" looking to me in the kitchen.

Painting paneling is a no go for me. I just don't like the look of it. I would consider repaneling it with a plywood veneer you really like and stain it accordingly. Our walnut paneled wall brings a great warmth to the room and it probably wasn't much more expensive than painting.

Jason

Thanks, we may do a marble or maybe soapstone, because those would have been available materials back then. The soapstone has a very pretty and dark finish. I'll keep thinking about the paneling, but as the room is 21 x 12 it's very cave like. Since it's an addition, we may end of tearing the room out and starting over. The dark brown shag carpeting does nothing for me either! BTW- we haven't moved in yet, so we have alot of work to do.

Thanks, we may do a marble or maybe soapstone, because those would have been available materials back then. The soapstone has a very pretty and dark finish.

Beware....marble is NOT a good material for a kitchen that will actually be used. It stains SUPER EASY, and is easily damaged by acids such as that found in lemon juice. I'm not familiar with the durability of soapstone, but it could have the same issues.

I've had marble before, and as long as I kept it waxed and wiped up spills it was beautiful. It does require alot more care than granite, but its doable for me. BTW It's great for rolling out pastries.We don't have pictures as we are moving from Canada on a job transfer. We have only seen the house once on a house hunting trip. Scary huh?

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not familiar with the durability of soapstone, but it could have the same issues.

From M. Teixeira Soapstone website:

This natural quarried stone is softer than most other naturally occuring minerals. Although soft, Soapstone is a very dense (non-porous) stone ; more so than marble, slate, limestone and even granite. Since Soapstone is impenetrable , it will not stain, no liquid will permeate its surface. Other stones, including granite, have a propensity to soil; this is why Soapstone (Steatite) is widely used in chemistry lab-tops and acid rooms.

I've heard of soapstone being used for kitchen sinks in 19th century houses, so they're durable. Not sure if that 'new' look can be maintained, due to its softness.

I have plans to remodel my '63 ranch kitchen sometime in the nebulous future. One of the options I'm considering is laboratory countertop material. I think it would look great on some Danish-style cabinets, and it's hard to imagine anything more durable. Several companies will create the lab countertops to your specs (including rounded edges and under-mounting for sinks), and my initial research suggests that the cost compares favorably to synthetic stone products like Silestone. Of course, this option precludes the shiny McMansion wet-look granite finish, but I like the flat black look. If you're at all interested, Google "lab countertops" for several providers.

• 2 years later...

It depends on early 60's vs. later 60's. In the late 50's/early 60's you might have seen tile. Back then, they picked some pretty wild and hurtful colors: green, pink, blue, yellow, etc, etc. Sometimes white field tile (4x4) with black border tile. That would have been the most I could tolerate. Later 60's... and to this day... formica.

There are pros and cons to all countertop materials. The biggest con with tile is that you get kitchen grime and other nasty mess into the grout lines. Screw that. Forget about stainless steel. That will scratch EASILY. Unless you like scratches, you'll regret it. Marble is too soft and stains. Butcher block will just trap e-coli. Black soapstone has a nice look, but it is also soft as compared to granite. Shiny granite of any type may be too much and you've said you don't want that. However, honed black granite has the look of dull black soapstone/dull marble but has the hardness and durability of granite, because it is granite... it would be different from most granite installations.. and just forget about corian, formica, and concrete.

I agree with Bryan, the house I grew up in was built in 1952, had tile countertops and bathtub walls. They are high maintenance, IMO, my mom used to scrub the kitchen grout with bleach and a toothbrush. But I'm sure there is a product out there now to make it easier to clean. I have seen tile in homes up until the early 60's. Formica is what I think of, the most, in the 60's.

In the house my father designed and built for my grandparents in Glenbrook Valley in 1965, the floor was terrazzo, cabinets were naturally finished birch plywood, counter tops were white Formica and sinks/faucets were stainless. When he sold the house in 2003 to someone wanting to flip it, they put in marble tops, pained the woodwork, and covered the terrazzo with vinyl. The originals were in exceptional shape and had served very well. The guy did it just for some perceived "selling point" as he said "everyone is doing it" without practical consideration. The cabinetry had been built on site by cabinetmakers who, under the watchful eyes of my father and grandfather carefully chose and matched grandparents. My grandfather began his career as a carpenter who taught my father well. The finish of satin verathane (SP?) had a slight tint of white in it to make all the cabinets in the kitchen and breakfast nook uniform. The island stove top was all stainless with a stainless vent hood above.

The ceiling was a blown in "popcorn" acoustic coating. Walls above the counter back splashes were lightly textured drywall.

People should do what they wish with their own property - but it is important to consider what influenced your purchase, what the original design process was and how that could be improved upon. Just to blithely smother originality for some transient whim is very poor judgment not only for limiting a return off your investment but the impact upon the atmosphere and healthy livability of the home. You are doing well in gathering information first.

Archived