Al Gore recipient of Nobel Peace Prize

dbigtex56

A critique of Dr. William Grey's work.

Gray's paper begins with a quote from Senator Inhofe calling global warming a hoax perpetrated on the American people, and ends with a quote by a representive of the Society of Petroleum Geologists stating that Crichton's State of Fear has "the absolute ring of truth." It is the gaping flaws in the scientific argument sandwiched between these two statements that are our major concern.

I found this quote (from Coog's link) interesting.

He said his beliefs had made him an outsider in popular science.

"It bothers me that my fellow scientists are not speaking out against something they know is wrong," he said. "But they also know that they'd never get any grants if they spoke out. I don't care about grants."

To the contrary, it is entirely possible that his stance against human contribution to Global Warming could have INCREASED his ability to obtain grants from the current administration.

This "analysis" sums it up nicely. The prize was more of a statement by the board against Bush, than praise for Shallow Al. Y'all know how the game is played.

ANALYSIS-Nobel is sweet revenge for Gore, blow to Bush

The Nobel Peace Prize he won on Friday was a blow to U.S. President George W. Bush and his widely criticized environmental policy and will long be savored by the man who lost the bitter 2000 presidential election by a whisker.

http://www.reuters.com/article/latestCrisis/idUSN12207344

A critique of Dr. William Grey's work.
Of course, the folks at RealClimate.org have reason to have the red-ass about his work, seeing as how it's their work that Dr. Grey is critiquing most of the time.And of course, they have a lot of research $$$ at stake in the perpetuation of catastrophic AGW.
I found this quote (from Coog's link) interesting.To the contrary, it is entirely possible that his stance against human contribution to Global Warming could have INCREASED his ability to obtain grants from the current administration.
Has this administration sponsored a lot of such research work?

seeing as how it's their work that Dr. Grey is critiquing most

Realclimate doesn't publish research, scientists in universities publish research. Realclimate is just a blog. Keep in mind that Dr. Gray's work was not published in a peer reviewed journal, he just posted it on his website. I don't think any real journal would publish an article that starts with a quote from a politician, and ends with a quote from a review of a sci-fi novel.

A clear sign that work is politically motivated is when the first line is a quote from a politician. If Gray was smart, he would have left that out.

Realclimate doesn't publish research, scientists in universities publish research. Realclimate is just a blog.

....of scientists in universities who publish research that Dr. Grey disagrees with. I am familiar with Realclimate. Several of its contributors are intimately tied with IPCC and I know one in particular is the creator of the dubious "hockey stick" graph.

Keep in mind that Dr. Gray's work was not published in a peer reviewed journal

But much of his work is. Besides, in this area, it is MY OPINION that peer review is akin to inbreeding. That is how political it has become.

A clear sign that work is politically motivated is when the first line is a quote from a politician.

....or funded by a political organization (UN) or receives a political award (Nobel).

Has this administration sponsored a lot of such research work?

While Gray's Climate research does receive grants, including federal money, Andrew Dessler PhD, an Associate Professor at Texas A&M University in the Department of Atmospheric Sciences believes the apparent source of Dr. Gray's accusation is in fact his inability to secure grant funding which Gray feels he deserves. So, as opposed to my suggestion that his stance could be motivated by a desire to obtain grants from a Global Warming skeptical administration, Dr. Dessler is convinced that his stance is retaliation for not getting funding.

In reality, it could be both.

While Gray's Climate research does receive grants, including federal money, Andrew Dessler PhD, an Associate Professor at Texas A&M University in the Department of Atmospheric Sciences believes the apparent source of Dr. Gray's accusation is in fact his inability to secure grant funding which Gray feels he deserves. So, as opposed to my suggestion that his stance could be motivated by a desire to obtain grants from a Global Warming skeptical administration, Dr. Dessler is convinced that his stance is retaliation for not getting funding.

In reality, it could be both.

Could the reality also lie in a third possibility: that of reversing the cause and effect, i.e. he doesn't get funding because of his stance.

But much of his work is. Besides, in this area, it is MY OPINION that peer review is akin to inbreeding. That is how political it has become.

Which peer reviewed journals do you read? Is your opinion based on reading peer reviewed journals, or... ?

My opinion on Gray's article being political is based on the fact that it starts with a quote from a politician.

I think it is hilarious, this proves that the Nobel foundation will pick your horse for the right amount of money, first , the babykiller Yasser Arafat, and now the Liar Al Gore ? Good job Mr. Vice President, how does it feel to take away an award that should have gone too a 97 year old woman that risked life and limb against the Nazis to save 2500 children during World War 2. You, Mr.Gore, you have reduced the Nobel Prize to as much value as this paperweight you have on your desk.

jackassaward.jpg

How do you sleep at night Mr. Gore, FOR SHAME ! ! !

Which peer reviewed journals do you read? Is your opinion based on reading peer reviewed journals, or... ?

My opinion on Gray's article being political is based on the fact that it starts with a quote from a politician.

Sorry I have not been able to give you the detailed answer that your question deserves.

I had planned to.

Drastic life changes have taken place since Thursday and I haven't had time.

I may be scarce the next week or two.

I'm sure some of you are devastated B)

Good job Gore, its one of the highest honors one can achieve, let the cry baby conservatives continue to smear the award itself and making it a liberal vs conservative thing cause someone they don't like got it. Typical. The award would only be awesome if bush got it (lol at that thought, bush accomplishing something worth awarding.)

Remeber when they gave the prize for scientific discovery?

Now they give it for "raising awareness".

Post of the Year goes to MidtownCoog :D

You might want to rethink that, DJ.

To quote from their website:

Every year since 1901 the Nobel Prize has been awarded for achievements in physics, chemistry, physiology or medicine, literature and for peace. (The prize for economics was added in 1958.)

"Scientific discovery" was never a category.

And "raising awareness" is certainly in the tradition of the Peace Prize.

Of course, raising awareness in some people is akin to raising the dead.

Archived