1929 House -- What is Name of Architectural Style?

LanaNelson

This house is a 1929 house. Can anyone tell me the name of this Architectural style? I would like to see the type of architectural detail used on the outside of these types of houses. I would like to find examples of paint colors for this style. I am having problems doing internet searches because I don't know the name of the style. Can you help? (I hope my picture loaded. This is my first post and the process is not very clear.)

Thanks,

Lana Nelson

lana_nelson@comcast.net

717_as_Smaller_Bitmap.bmp

that reminds me of the color of my house.....i used a sherwin williams pallette called the jazz age (from the 20's) and the color is silver gray. it is a great neutral and you can choose a few accent colors to bring it out more. i used the chinese red and an intense teal. (sounds bright but it's really not)

here it is at the bottom.

I don't think you've got any one particular style going there. The trim on either side of the front door is very tradiational. The trim above the door is very folksy/ country looking. The rest of the house doesn't have much style....

Guest danax
I don't think you've got any one particular style going there. The trim on either side of the front door is very tradiational. The trim above the door is very folksy/ country looking. The rest of the house doesn't have much style....

We call that Cottage Style in Pecan Park, our nabe is full of them. Mild Tudor/Storybook influences. Very popular middle class style from roughly 1930-1945 or so.

I love the way you house looks after the paint job. I did not know you could paint awning -- it really makes the house look nice.Lana

I like it. kind of segway into the modern era. is it located behind jackson middle school somewhere?
It is on E 16th Street in the Heights

We call that Cottage Style in Pecan Park, our nabe is full of them. Mild Tudor/Storybook influences. Very popular middle class style from roughly 1930-1945 or so.

I think it is a "cottage style" grown out of the Tudor style also, but I was not able to find examples on the internet. There were a lot houses in this style in the little town where I grew up. I think the majority of them were brick. I find that true for Houston too -- the majority of houses in this architectural style are in brick. Would the interiors have been Art Deco/Art Nouveau?

Lana

that reminds me of the color of my house.....i used a sherwin williams pallette called the jazz age (from the 20's) and the color is silver gray. it is a great neutral and you can choose a few accent colors to bring it out more. i used the chinese red and an intense teal. (sounds bright but it's really not)

here it is at the bottom.

I posted a reply but it did not go under your reply. It is amazing what some well-chosen paint can do. Your house is wonderful. I will check out Sherwin Willians Jazz Age paints

Thanks,

Lana

Guest danax
I think it is a "cottage style" grown out of the Tudor style also, but I was not able to find examples on the internet. There were a lot houses in this style in the little town where I grew up. I think the majority of them were brick. I find that true for Houston too -- the majority of houses in this architectural style are in brick. Would the interiors have been Art Deco/Art Nouveau?Lana
The brick exteriors were usually in the slightly more expensive nabes. West U had a lot of those. The one in your pic shows Colonial influences with those pillars. We've got a few of that style where I live and one or two with rounded sections in front and one with a tiny turret near the porch.The interiors were definitely Deco/Moderne ;arches separating the dining and living rooms, 2 panel doors with glass knobs, oak floors and often a mock fireplace. The bathrooms usually had colorful tilework and the decoish fixtures.
I am gonna have to go with Sev on this one. Cape Cod, according to the description, fits this house almost to a "T".
This is what I consider a Cape Cod, and they were also very common during the same time period, but that doesn't mean the other style wasn't considered a Cape Cod as well.5yv4zkp.jpg

I posted a reply but it did not go under your reply. It is amazing what some well-chosen paint can do. Your house is wonderful. I will check out Sherwin Willians Jazz Age paints

Thanks,

Lana

thank you.....it is a work in progress but there has definitely been some improvement. many of the paint companies have historical pallettes. i just like sherwin williams the most. two of my interior colors are from the historical pallette too.

There were a lot houses in this style in the little town where I grew up. I think the majority of them were brick. I find that true for Houston too -- the majority of houses in this architectural style are in brick. Would the interiors have been Art Deco/Art Nouveau?

art deco/moderne was predominant. only thing i would add to danax's description would be finished windows i.e. with moulding around windows.

This house is a 1929 house. Can anyone tell me the name of this Architectural style? I would like to see the type of architectural detail used on the outside of these types of houses. I would like to find examples of paint colors for this style. I am having problems doing internet searches because I don't know the name of the style. Can you help? (I hope my picture loaded. This is my first post and the process is not very clear.)

Thanks,

Lana Nelson

lana_nelson@comcast.net

717_as_Smaller_Bitmap.bmp

It seems to be a conglomeration of styles like you'd see in Lindale. As far as a color, Martha Stewart has an interior color called Mercury Glass which I really like. Sherwin can reproduce it as an exterior paint. Go top drawer if you can and avoid a repeat performance every 24 months. BTW, it looks like a great house-post some more pics?

Cute house...

Virginia & Lee McAlester's "Field Book of American Houses" would classify this house as "Minimal Traditional" - a blending of several eclectic styles. The asymmetrical front gable with a steep pitched roof is a reference to English Tudor styling, but the 6 over 6 windows, shiplap siding, and neoclassical entry give reference to American Colonial Architecture in New England. The house lacks the detail of other 1920s eclectic houses - possibly a reaction to the Depression, or merely because it was intended as a "starter home"?

Originally, this house would have had wood-framed window screens and a wood-framed screen door. Window boxes and decorative fake shutters may have also been present. Otherwise, this house looks to be in fairly original condition.

It seems to be a conglomeration of styles like you'd see in Lindale. As far as a color, Martha Stewart has an interior color called Mercury Glass which I really like. Sherwin can reproduce it as an exterior paint. Go top drawer if you can and avoid a repeat performance every 24 months. BTW, it looks like a great house-post some more pics?

I will check out the Mercury Glass color.

I have some pictures in Kodak Gallery. Please send an email to lana_nelson@comcast.net and I will "share" the photos. Anyone one else interested in seeing some interior photos, please email me. Posting pictures here is difficult. Kitchen is the original 1929 kitchen. House is wood paneling throughout except for the kitchen. It looks like Home Depot stuff to me .... I assume the original wall covering would have been wall paper. Also would like some opinions regarding the faux fireplace. Original or added later?

Lana

Lana

Originally, this house would have had wood-framed window screens and a wood-framed screen door. Window boxes and decorative fake shutters may have also been present. Otherwise, this house looks to be in fairly original condition.

Good observation.

If that particular look appeals to you, there are several houses in the Pecan Park neighborhood which retain those details. I'm sure danax could steer you in the right direction, if you're interested.

I was able to do an internet search and find some similar houses and to see architectural elements that they have. Thanks a bunch. When I fix the siding, sand, and repaint, I will try to add some appropriate architectural detail to this house. I think it was probably a starter house. The house is "nice" on the inside but it has very little "detail." Except for the living room, the rooms are fairly small. The bathroom has the original Art Deco mosaic tile on the floor but nothing else -- no tile on the bathroom walls. There is a very interesting faux fireplace in the living room with a gas connector in it. I don't know if it is original. There is no chimney.Lana

Cute house...Virginia & Lee McAlester's "Field Book of American Houses" would classify this house as "Minimal Traditional" - a blending of several eclectic styles. The asymmetrical front gable with a steep pitched roof is a reference to English Tudor styling, but the 6 over 6 windows, shiplap siding, and neoclassical entry give reference to American Colonial Architecture in New England. The house lacks the detail of other 1920s eclectic houses - possibly a reaction to the Depression, or merely because it was intended as a "starter home"? Originally, this house would have had wood-framed window screens and a wood-framed screen door. Window boxes and decorative fake shutters may have also been present. Otherwise, this house looks to be in fairly original condition.
I was able to do an internet search and find some similar houses and to see architectural elements that they have. Thanks a bunch. When I fix the siding, sand, and repaint, I will try to add some appropriate architectural detail to this house. I think it was probably a starter house. The house is "nice" on the inside but it has very little "detail." Except for the living room, the rooms are fairly small. The bathroom has the original Art Deco mosaic tile on the floor but nothing else -- no tile on the bathroom walls. There is a very interesting faux fireplace in the living room with a gas connector in it. I don't know if it is original. There is no chimney.Lana

Good observation.If that particular look appeals to you, there are several houses in the Pecan Park neighborhood which retain those details. I'm sure danax could steer you in the right direction, if you're interested.
Yes, I would like to look at some house colors and detail work. Thanks
Cute house...Virginia & Lee McAlester's "Field Book of American Houses" would classify this house as "Minimal Traditional" - a blending of several eclectic styles. The asymmetrical front gable with a steep pitched roof is a reference to English Tudor styling, but the 6 over 6 windows, shiplap siding, and neoclassical entry give reference to American Colonial Architecture in New England. The house lacks the detail of other 1920s eclectic houses - possibly a reaction to the Depression, or merely because it was intended as a "starter home"? Originally, this house would have had wood-framed window screens and a wood-framed screen door. Window boxes and decorative fake shutters may have also been present. Otherwise, this house looks to be in fairly original condition.
I replied to your post -- but I screwed it up. Please see the post below. Thanks

I was able to do an internet search and find some similar houses and to see architectural elements that they have. Thanks a bunch. When I fix the siding, sand, and repaint, I will try to add some appropriate architectural detail to this house. I think it was probably a starter house. The house is "nice" on the inside but it has very little "detail." Except for the living room, the rooms are fairly small. The bathroom has the original Art Deco mosaic tile on the floor but nothing else -- no tile on the bathroom walls. There is a very interesting faux fireplace in the living room with a gas connector in it. I don't know if it is original. There is no chimney.

It's very rare that you have the original kitchen. Does it have the glass wall cabinets with the inset panels and the shallow sink? That was a transitional era for kitchens and I'm betting yours is the earlier version as I described above. Into the 30s and 40s, the rounded peninsula tiled counter became popular. I've seen a few in my area.....laying on the curb waiting for trash pickup :closedeyes: .

Bathroom fixtures to match that era are easy to find.

Archived