Burj Dubai -- World's tallest and still going

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yawn

Just curious -- why the yawn? As recently as 10 years ago or so, a structure like this was impossible. Just a few years ago, it was thought impossible for socioeconomic reasons. It really puts it into perspective when it reaches the height of the world's tallest and still has over 1000 feet to go. It's equal to placing a JPM Chase building on top of the Sears Tower.

I'd be interested to see what people here think the political implications of such a project in an Arab country are. I'd also like to know what this means to future urban planning and building design. Can you imagine the safety engineering that would be required for such a structure here in the US? Can you imagine what it would do to Houston's urban core if the parking and transportation, electrical and plumbing, approaches to airports, financial, occupancy, etc. concerns all had to be addressed here?

Is there a city outside maybe NY or Chicago in North America that could support such a building? Could they really?

I'd think if any group would be interested in talking about this, it would be an architecture group.

I just can't get excited about this building. From an engineering perspective, sure, it's a modern marvel.

But from every other perspective it's just silly.

As far as impact on the Arab world, well, who knows. The only place this building makes any sense is Dubai.

I think the buildings are cool. I have a friend who lives in Australia, she just returned from two years in Dubai, said there was nothing to do there. They are fabulously wealthy and can build just about anything they want. They are forever recruiting for employment and the pay is great. Apartments aren't all that bad, new and modern.

It kinda looks like Dubai is more car centric than Houston. I guess that makes sense with all of the oil close by, but it doesn't look like my kinda city (besides looking at all the cool modern buildings). I only see two people in all of the photos in this thread.

They can't possibly have enough people to fill this, let alone all the skyscrapers surrounding it. They're spending lots of money on incredible architecture, but this kind of excess probably won't build the city they really want. They'll probably go bankrupt before its finished.

Bankrupt? Dubai?

You are not really serious are you? Dubai has a bigger economy than China are far far less people support with it. With an average economic growth of 17% annually, they are expected to top $75,000,000,000.00 this year. I doubt we'll ever live to see an economic downturn in Dubai. That place is thriving. I first went over there in the early 70's and it wasn't much more than a sandbox and a camping ground for a few wayward Bedouins. When the Lebanese fled the civil wars the area started to grow. However there are a lot of extremely wealthy Indians.

I just can't get excited about this building. From an engineering perspective, sure, it's a modern marvel.

But from every other perspective it's just silly.

As far as impact on the Arab world, well, who knows. The only place this building makes any sense is Dubai.

I agree that it's silly -- that's what makes it so interesting. I just can't even imagine something like this, or why anyone would want to build it or occupy it. It seems to fly in the face of just about everything we know today about good urban planning and design. It looks like 10 square blocks around it are being dug up for a moat around the thing, making the only way to access the place a garage, I guess, though I don't see one. Maybe it'll have its own train that brings people in. How many elevator transfers do you think it takes to get up a 2600' building during peak times?

This thing is so far beyond absurd -- such a whimsical test of the engineering envelope as to ensure it won't be surpassed for maybe 100 years, if ever. So, for the next century, this will be the bar. This will be the measure of engineering greatness. This will rewrite what we consider the manmade wonders of the world. It may even end up as a strange curiosity to future alien anthropologists trying to figure out the demise of human kind and wondering what our civilizations must have been like. I truly believe this is on the order of the great pyramids, in their time. They must have looked pretty crazy to the non-Egyptians, too.

Or, maybe this is a modern day tower of Babel -- with "international prestige and a show of economic power" being the new God that mankind is aspiring to touch.

Bankrupt? Dubai?

You are not really serious are you? Dubai has a bigger economy than China are far far less people support with it. With an average economic growth of 17% annually, they are expected to top $75,000,000,000.00 this year. I doubt we'll ever live to see an economic downturn in Dubai. That place is thriving. I first went over there in the early 70's and it wasn't much more than a sandbox and a camping ground for a few wayward Bedouins. When the Lebanese fled the civil wars the area started to grow. However there are a lot of extremely wealthy Indians.

Mark, I think he's making mention of the fact that Dubai has around 1.2 million people, with I a little over 4 million in the region. It seems to me that unless another 4 or 5 million people move into the area, the sheek is going to have a hard time filling all of that space. I will admit that I like some of the sharp lines of their architecture, but I also think that the Burg Dubai is a little over the top. No pun intended. :rolleyes:

Bankrupt? Dubai?

:huh:

UAE GDP = $168 Billion

China GDP= #10.17 Trillion

Houston GDP= $309 Billion (2005)

They can't possibly have enough people to fill this, let alone all the skyscrapers surrounding it.

I read somewhere in the last few days that Dubai is gaining 120,000 new residents EACH YEAR. I think they'll fill it.

I read an article a couple of months ago about how even big businesses like Chase Bank are on WAITING LISTS for office space.

That said, I've been told by people there that traffic is an absolute nightmare of Los Angeles proportions. And I do worry about corners being cut because of the demand to have so many towers built so quickly. They don't have much in the way of natural disasters (just sandstrorms and a hurricane every 50 years or so), but I feel like if too much stress is placed on that environment we could see the first big unintentional skyscraper collapse.

Bankrupt? Dubai?

Actually, the reason why they're going through this boom is because he knows his reserves are likely to be drained in a number of years. I heard fairly recently that his revenues are starting(albeit still substantial) to decrease. I don't know at what rate this is, nor can I can verify that information. He's trying to do this building boom to make his country relevant in a business world and tourism. I think it makes some good sense.

I read somewhere in the last few days that Dubai is gaining 120,000 new residents EACH YEAR. I think they'll fill it.

I read an article a couple of months ago about how even big businesses like Chase Bank are on WAITING LISTS for office space.

That said, I've been told by people there that traffic is an absolute nightmare of Los Angeles proportions. And I do worry about corners being cut because of the demand to have so many towers built so quickly. They don't have much in the way of natural disasters (just sandstrorms and a hurricane every 50 years or so), but I feel like if too much stress is placed on that environment we could see the first big unintentional skyscraper collapse.

My major concern with all of the construction is that all sorts of engineering shortcuts might have been done as far as infrastructure goes. In particular the roads and waste management.

Pretty buildings are all fine and good, but if you have sewage bursting in pipes in the lower floors, that might get some tenants in a bit of a tizzy. But that's just me.

:huh:

UAE GDP = $168 Billion

China GDP= #10.17 Trillion

Houston GDP= $309 Billion (2005)

Maybe I needed to clarify my point a little bit.

Well I have a little different numbers:

Dubai

697,000,000,000.00 MAD = 85,873,763,409.76 USD

Morocco Dirhams United States Dollars

1 MAD = 0.123205 USD 1 USD = 8.11657 MAD

http://www.uaeinteract.com/docs/UAEs_GDP_p..._2007/25409.htm

China

20.9407 trillion yuan (US$2.7 trillion) in 2006

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/china/2007-01...tent_792311.htm

Dubai Population: 1,321,453 (July 2007 est.) that's $64,984.35/person.

China Population: 1,321,851,888 (July 2007 est.) that's $2042.59/person.

Let's just say their economy is in better shape than China's is. I am not an economic expert but the numbers look in better shape to me.

You are comparing a city's GDP to a country's GDP. There is no correlation. For instance, Houston's per capita GDP is similar to Dubai's. That is correlative. However, both Houston and Dubai's GDP dwarf the USA's GDP per capita. Does that mean anything?

BTW, the GDP you listed is based on the official exchange rate, which the US government has been protesting for years. According to the CIA World Factbook, China's real GDP is $10.17 Trillion.

Actually Red the the GDP number I used for Dubai was the GDP for the UAE regional in full, that would classify a country. I just forgot to use the correct population. United Arab Emirates has a population of 4,444,011 (July 2007 est)

85,873,763,409.76 USD @ 4,444,011 = 19323.48/person My bad Red.

In that case @ 10.7 trillion that would be $8094.70/person

They're mostly migrant workers from South Asia who don't live in anything that fancy, and they are treated quite poorly. Dubai won't become a tourist playground because it's in the middle of an Islamic country.

Archived