Burj Dubai -- World's tallest and still going

If you are illegal, you aren't a GUEST.

Guests would be those with work visas and green cards.

Thank you

Atypical by-the-book thinking.

Anywho, Dubai will only grow so much until investors realize Abu Dhabi, Kuwait, Doha and Muscat are nearby and equally willing to attract investors.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Burj Dubai is being featured on Discovery Channel's "Really Big Things" as well as other amenities in Dubai such as the indoor skiing. Should be a rerun later on tonight and a second showing later in the month. Check listings.

That thing is massive.

Burj Dubai is being featured on Discovery Channel's "Really Big Things" as well as other amenities in Dubai such as the indoor skiing. Should be a rerun later on tonight and a second showing later in the month. Check listings.

That thing is massive.

Thanks for the heads up.

That thing is massive.

I meant to post a note about National Geographic Channel. On Sunday, they had a 3-hour block of shows on the mega structures being built in Dubai. The first hour was on The Palm development. The second was on The World. I forget what the 3rd hour was on.

• 4 weeks later...
Just curious -- why the yawn? As recently as 10 years ago or so, a structure like this was impossible. Just a few years ago, it was thought impossible for socioeconomic reasons. It really puts it into perspective when it reaches the height of the world's tallest and still has over 1000 feet to go. It's equal to placing a JPM Chase building on top of the Sears Tower.

I'd be interested to see what people here think the political implications of such a project in an Arab country are. I'd also like to know what this means to future urban planning and building design. Can you imagine the safety engineering that would be required for such a structure here in the US? Can you imagine what it would do to Houston's urban core if the parking and transportation, electrical and plumbing, approaches to airports, financial, occupancy, etc. concerns all had to be addressed here?

Is there a city outside maybe NY or Chicago in North America that could support such a building? Could they really?

I'd think if any group would be interested in talking about this, it would be an architecture group.

I don't get the yawn either. There is no way that a structure like that would be able to be built in Houston. Way too much air traffic,I'm pretty sure

I don't get the yawn either. There is no way that a structure like that would be able to be built in Houston. Way too much air traffic,I'm pretty sure

I remember something I read on the FFA site or something that the FFA has no jurisdiction over airspace and the pilot has to beware of tall objects. I could be wrong though.

I remember something I read on the FFA site or something that the FFA has no jurisdiction over airspace and the pilot has to beware of tall objects. I could be wrong though.

They do have jurisdiction under certain conditions. Of course pilots have to be aware of tall buildings,and you will notice alot of the taller buildings there in Houston are required to have like beacons on the top. We also have as you know,major fog issues regarding the Hobby Airport in particular. Besides,these buildings are way too cool to be trapped amongst alot of other structures. That's just my opinion of course.

• 1 month later...

Just a question as I saw some of the newer pictures of this construction site.

While watching a number of construction photos and projects around Houston, the Tower Cranes are generally up against the buildings along the side. The deconstruction of the cranes are fairly obvious (but not something I'd like to do). But the thing I noticed on the Burj Dubai is that it seemed like the cranes(three of them) were actually on TOP of the structure itself.

This puzzled me to no end as to how in the world they're going to remove these structures. I seriously doubt if a Helicopter will be able to do it. I wish I had a still to how to describe it better.

Anyone have a clue as to how they're going to do it?

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! It's like twice as tall (or more) than any of the surrounding buildings.

On a side note, I've heard that a lot of the buildings that are going up in China (and other countries) look great on the outside, but the insides look cheap and unrefined. I doubt that is the case with this building, but has anyone else heard of anything like that?

Wow! It's like twice as tall (or more) than any of the surrounding buildings.

On a side note, I've heard that a lot of the buildings that are going up in China (and other countries) look great on the outside, but the insides look cheap and unrefined. I doubt that is the case with this building, but has anyone else heard of anything like that?

News to me. I've been in about 30 skyscrapers in China, and they're always as gorgeous on the inside as the outside.

I will say that buildings, including skyscrapers, seem to wear harder in China. I don't know if it's the materials used or poor maintenance or what, but some buildings in China that are only 10-20 years old look more like they're approaching 100.

News to me. I've been in about 30 skyscrapers in China, and they're always as gorgeous on the inside as the outside.

I will say that buildings, including skyscrapers, seem to wear harder in China. I don't know if it's the materials used or poor maintenance or what, but some buildings in China that are only 10-20 years old look more like they're approaching 100.

Interior or exterior? If you're talking about the exteriors, I would guess that severe air pollution has something to do with it.

• 1 month later...
wikipedia usually keeps a good update on the building status....but the last update was October 24 at 156 stories and 585.7m tall, but a builder had confirmed it would be at least 700m tall, so it probably just needs to be updated

Don't you just hate it when free stuff is not updated!

I know I do.

• 1 month later...
US illegals are just that: Illegals-not guests. They have the freedom to come and go. They have the freedom to not live in labor camps. They have the freedom to assimilate if they so choose and to become citizens if they so choose. Of course those in Dubai could have choosen to not enter into what amounts to indentured servantship...but they did. Shame on them. It's stupid to compare the two groups as equal regarding rights.

Oh, I couldn't resist responding to this nonsense. Illegal workers in the US have no rights whatsoever to come and go. If they are caught on the border, they will be detained and deported. In fact, INS /ICE officer can detain and arrest an illegal alien anywhere in the US without a cause (even if the person committed no crime) and deport him, even if the person has children who are US citizen and will be left without a father/mother due deportation. Repeat offender can be sentenced to 4 years prison. They don't have freedom to become citizen. What kind of nonsenical claim is that? Where did you get that? Dubai is a billion times better. The people come to work there on there own for the simple reason they make can make more money. They are legal guest workers and know what they are getting into.

• 2 months later...
This puzzled me to no end as to how in the world they're going to remove these structures. I seriously doubt if a Helicopter will be able to do it. I wish I had a still to how to describe it better.

I've seen it done two ways on 2000' towers in the US. Helicopter and lower it down piece by piece (the latter is more common). When you lower it down piece by piece there are cables dedicated to holding it away from the tower.

Jason

Archived