Spring Town Center Developments

Chris

According to NewQuest's website, the 24 Hour Family Sport center that was to go in next to the new Lowe's is no longer in the works. Does anyone know what happened to that project? Also, on the northeast corner of Kuykendahl and 2920, north of the Wal-Mart, an Academy is set to go in instead of a JC Penney that was originally going in that spot. We need restaurants in this area!!

When the Family Sport was first announced, I looked on the 24-Hour website, and even asked at my local gym, and there was nothing about the Family Sport concept. Not long after, I noticed the plan for the site at 2920 & Kuykendahl had been scrapped. I thought 24-Hour had possibly decided not to pursue the Family Sport properties.

I see there is one planned for Keller, TX, but that's about it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At the same time, the play center strip center is still empty and so is the birck one.

KUYKENDAHL/2920 BANKRUPT CENTER:

As a concerned member of the Springbrook HOA, I spoke with the property management company yesterday regarding this property. Over the weekend, it should be "cleaned out" and mowed, as it is extremely overgrown. So, hopefully, that will take place. The gentleman also said:

- He will be out Tuesday to inspect, as the bank requires a weekly inspection

- They just took over management this month. Good for them - it seems like they are on the ball!

- The bank's plan is to complete the center and then sell it. They are currently getting bids for architecture and engineering.

- Next month, the issue is the grafitti

I will be constantly following up with them, as it is a concern for my subdivision.

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
According to NewQuest's website, the 24 Hour Family Sport center that was to go in next to the new Lowe's is no longer in the works. Does anyone know what happened to that project? Also, on the northeast corner of Kuykendahl and 2920, north of the Wal-Mart, an Academy is set to go in instead of a JC Penney that was originally going in that spot. We need restaurants in this area!!

Sorry, coming into this thread kinda late. I was up that way a lot during Ike (they were the only ones with Internet access for miles) and I never saw a 24 Hour Fitness.

• 1 month later...
The new HEB originally planned for FM 2920 and I45 is now scheduled to go up at FM 2920 and Hannover Woods Drive across from the new Wachovia Bank and Auto Zone.

New HEB on FM 2920

New Quest has had HEB listed at that site for over a year now. It's kind of like everything else in this area; the strip centers, nail salons, doughnut shops etc.. go in quickly, but the things we really want(HEB, good restaurants, Academy, 24hr fitness, etc) take forever or never materialize.

A NewQuest rep told me a couple of months ago that the Taco Cabana on 2920 near Kuykendahl was put on hold and probably wasn't going to happen, but that the Spring Creek Barbecue was going forward.

story from the Houston Chronicle regarding fire at Sizzler

About a week before it burned down, at least on the inside, you can't tell from the outside, Sizzler called it quits, supposedly never meeting their profit quotas, and just never "catching fire" with the dining out crowd in this area. I never went there, so I can't speak as to the quality of food, nor do I know anyone around here who ever went there to try them out.

As to the surrounding restaurants in this immediate area, Chili's is always busy, Chik-fil-A always has a line of cars in the drive-through, Panda Express did well when it first opened and now is hardly ever busy, Taco Bell is another one that always has a line of cars at the drive-through, Shogun seems to doing well, Buffalo Wild Wings does very well, Quizno's is barely hanging on, Grazi's is hanging in there, Sonic's usually pretty busy, Wendy's has steady business, so does Starbucks while the Coffee Guy is long gone. Can't remember the name of the Mexican place near Kroger's, we always call it "The Hut", is decently priced, tasty and always busy. I look forward to Spring Creek BBQ, as I've heard good things about them.

story from the Houston Chronicle regarding fire at Sizzler

About a week before it burned down, at least on the inside, you can't tell from the outside, Sizzler called it quits, supposedly never meeting their profit quotas, and just never "catching fire" with the dining out crowd in this area. I never went there, so I can't speak as to the quality of food, nor do I know anyone around here who ever went there to try them out.

As to the surrounding restaurants in this immediate area, Chili's is always busy, Chik-fil-A always has a line of cars in the drive-through, Panda Express did well when it first opened and now is hardly ever busy, Taco Bell is another one that always has a line of cars at the drive-through, Shogun seems to doing well, Buffalo Wild Wings does very well, Quizno's is barely hanging on, Grazi's is hanging in there, Sonic's usually pretty busy, Wendy's has steady business, so does Starbucks while the Coffee Guy is long gone. Can't remember the name of the Mexican place near Kroger's, we always call it "The Hut", is decently priced, tasty and always busy. I look forward to Spring Creek BBQ, as I've heard good things about them.

We ate at that Sizzler once. I never remembered them as a child when they were in Houston, and after eating at the one in Spring, I understood why. The food was mediocre at best. I've eaten at the Denny's a couple of times, but to be honest, I forget about it. I suspect they get a lot of people from Windrose. The other one on Holzworth, is just as convenient for us, so I usually head that way.

My husband is a firefighter, and the last he heard, they still suspected arson at the Sizzler. If you drove around to the front, right-hand side, you could see where it burned.

As far as Shogun, I went there for the first time the other evening. I wasn't too impressed. Kobe's, or H.B. Steakhouse it wasn't - but the prices were just as high.

I feel like we're in a black hole in Spring, as far as restaurants go. It's like the developers looked the other way as they were traveling down I-45 from 1960, and didn't pay attention until they got to the Woodlands. <_<

We ate at that Sizzler once. I never remembered them as a child when they were in Houston, and after eating at the one in Spring, I understood why. The food was mediocre at best.

The Sizzlers in Puerto Rico are pretty good. They have 'American' fare, but also island favorites known as comida criolla. Pretty tasty.

• 2 weeks later...

I found out today that the Taco Cabana that was supposed to go in at the 2920(west of Kuykendahl) location has been canceled. The CVS store that was going to go in at 2920 and Alvin Klein has also backed out. Why is this area so slow to develop? 24 hour fitness, J.C. Penney, Pets Mart, and Michael's all had plans to come to this area and backed out. I wonder if it has to do with the pending Grand Parkway.

I found out today that the Taco Cabana that was supposed to go in at the 2920(west of Kuykendahl) location has been canceled. The CVS store that was going to go in at 2920 and Alvin Klein has also backed out. Why is this area so slow to develop? 24 hour fitness, J.C. Penney, Pets Mart, and Michael's all had plans to come to this area and backed out. I wonder if it has to do with the pending Grand Parkway.

YUP!!! the grand parkway is the #1 reason. Think of Beltway 8, how many restaurants are on the exits? hardly any!! because you pay to get on and do not want to get off just to get some food unlike a regular freeway.

OMG do we really need another Taco Cabana. Besides the fact that their food is sub-par (and they never seem to have much business), they are already all over Houston.

OMG do we really need another Taco Cabana. Besides the fact that their food is sub-par (and they never seem to have much business), they are already all over Houston.

For fast food, it beats the hell out of Taco Bell, which is the only other fast food mexican restaurant in the area. I also like that you can drive thru and get decent breakfast tacos. There's nowhere else in the immediate area that offers that. Chacho's would be really nice!!

For fast food, it beats the hell out of Taco Bell, which is the only other fast food mexican restaurant in the area. I also like that you can drive thru and get decent breakfast tacos. There's nowhere else in the immediate area that offers that. Chacho's would be really nice!!

Pappas BBQ has some of the best breakfast tacos around.

• 2 months later...
According to New Quest's website, Alicia's Mexican Grill is going in next to the new Schlotzky's. They have one location in Cypress. How's the food?

Are you talking about the new Schlotzky's in Cypress Village Station on 290 and Skinner? Seems very close to put another location, though they are always busy. One of the best restaurants in Cypress in my opinion.

Where do you see that on the Newquest website?

Are you talking about the new Schlotzky's in Cypress Village Station on 290 and Skinner? Seems very close to put another location, though they are always busy. One of the best restaurants in Cypress in my opinion.

Where do you see that on the Newquest website?

Sorry, I left out the location in my original post. It's Kuykendahl/2920. I fixed the post.

Glad to hear that the food is good.

What a great and wonderful surprise to see this news! Thank you so much for posting!

We love Alicia's, but it's quite a drive for us, and now they're opening five minutes from mi casa!

It will be interesting to see what happens with the Mi Rancho restaurant located across the street.

They always pack 'em in just about every night of the night, but Alicia's is so much better.

A new low income govt housing is suppose to go up across from the main entrance to windrose on Fm 2920. I know a bunch of people who are trying to write and protest.

The builder gets 1.9 million in tax credit provided to builders for building at risk communities which is defined as communites that were affected by Ike.

They are going to be called Gosling Oak Apts.

http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/multifamily/h...ntiesAppLog.pdf

A new low income govt housing is suppose to go up across from the main entrance to windrose on Fm 2920. I know a bunch of people who are trying to write and protest.

The builder gets 1.9 million in tax credit provided to builders for building at risk communities which is defined as communites that were affected by Ike.

They are going to be called Gosling Oak Apts.

http://www.tdhca.state.tx.us/multifamily/h...ntiesAppLog.pdf

At least Klein Oak athletics will improve

At least Klein Oak athletics will improve

Funny, lockmat! Klein Oak athletics are already the best there are in this district!

Plus, those multi-family residential units are slated to be zoned to Klein Collins.

Funny, lockmat! Klein Oak athletics are already the best there are in this district!

Plus, those multi-family residential units are slated to be zoned to Klein Collins.

Thanks to Katrina...hehe. I'm kidding, I was part of Panther athletics once upon a time. It's actually a little shocking to hear how much the district as a whole has improved since I left, especially since Oak went down to 4a for a little while.

Oak actually seems closer than Collins, or maybe they're about the same distance? Seems fair. At the least it will prevent any more traffic going north on Kuykendahl.

Archived