Company Buys Land In Uptown

lockmat

In reality, what does it matter? Uptown Houston is larger than most downtown big cities USA. Good for Uptown. But downtown isn't dormant by any means. Houston can only compete with itself. Eat your heart out Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta .... Houston's Uptown vs. Houston's Downtown .... :P

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In reality, what does it matter? Uptown Houston is larger than most downtown big cities USA. Good for Uptown. But downtown isn't dormant by any means. Houston can only compete with itself. Eat your heart out Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta .... Houston's Uptown vs. Houston's Downtown .... :P

It seems like if development continues the way it is downtown will be mostly business, and Uptown/Galleria will be mostly residential and shopping. Seems like a natural and desirable progression to me. If the density gets high enough on both sides it would seem natural to have some sort of underground mass transit line linking the two neighborhoods without disturbing the quieter neighborhoods between (I dare not use the dreaded "s" word.)

It seems like if development continues the way it is downtown will be mostly business, and Uptown/Galleria will be mostly residential and shopping. Seems like a natural and desirable progression to me. If the density gets high enough on both sides it would seem natural to have some sort of underground mass transit line linking the two neighborhoods without disturbing the quieter neighborhoods between (I dare not use the dreaded "s" word.)

Exactly. Can we progress beyond the tunnels of downt's massive towers? It is a win win situation.

Tower info...

Possible twin 30 story condo towers by a NYC based developer. Would rise on the NW corner of Post Oak Blvd and Richmond (old Mason Jar Restaurant site).

Second tower proposed by Faulkner USA out of Austin. Site is on McCue Road where the old Marquee Apartments are being torn down. Early reports state it would be a 40 story condo tower.

As for me, I would never want to live in a highrise in Uptown. With no rail line connection and unpleasant pedestrian life, I don't quite get the point. I would much rather have a private house/patio home/condo since driving is pretty much required for all daily activities. That said, I am not a 60+ empty nester from Tanglewood nor am I a rich Mexican national. Those are really the only 2 groups I see these towers being marketed too despite the slick ads showing bikini clad strippers sitting poolside and wannabe urban hipsters smoking cigars in the club rooms!

my hopes are that the area becomes extremely pedestrian friendly. it seems to be a great environment for this with the added residential.

It will be hard with the huge lot sizes, no real street grid, and gigantic strip mall / indoor mall type retail developments.

Do they normally become free after so many days? Thanks for the link.

But I think this is a good quote to remember:

High-rise residences take years from concept to completion, but condo experts seem to think buyers will be in place by the time these proposed homes are ready.

Do they normally become free after so many days? Thanks for the link.

But I think this is a good quote to remember:

High-rise residences take years from concept to completion, but condo experts seem to think buyers will be in place by the time these proposed homes are ready.

The stories become free usually the 2nd week. You can click on the industry type and get the listings of all the stories in all the cities. This will be the full story.

• 1 month later...

What about this one? Do you have any idea what project this article is talking about?

I wish we had some sort of disposable thread we could ask questions about projects, so we/I wouldn't create duplicates. There's too many projects and I can't remember them all. Plus, the search option doesn't help all the time.

What about this one? Do you have any idea what project this article is talking about?

I wish we had some sort of disposable thread we could ask questions about projects, so we/I wouldn't create duplicates. There's too many projects and I can't remember them all. Plus, the search option doesn't help all the time.

That one, is referring to the project that Boymelgreen is proposing for Post Oak & Richmond Avenue. I think it was mentioned in another Post Oak/residential thread somewhere around here... Good news that they're starting to actually talk about what they have planned.

That one, is referring to the project that Boymelgreen is proposing for Post Oak & Richmond Avenue. Good news that they're starting to actually talk about what they have planned.

Really, I don't remember any proposals for two 30-story towers going up as one development? I'll search for it on google. So far, no luck. Plus, it says it's on san felipe. Is that close to that intersection?

Really, I don't remember any proposals for two 30-story towers going up as one development? I'll search for it on google. So far, no luck. Plus, it says it's on san felipe. Is that close to that intersection?

I think that "San Felipe" may be the name of the project, or at least the preliminary one.

I think that "San Felipe" may be the name of the project, or at least the preliminary one.

It seems as if this Boymelgreen doesn't play. Their history makes me feel pretty comfortable that these have a very good chance of going up.

-----

Emporis has a link up for it:

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/cx/?id=120502

More Info:

Nix all that info I guess. Bad news:

http://globes-online.com/serveen/globes/do...88&fid=1124

-----

Well, that initial article from yesterday was from a St. Louis paper. It's more recently dated than this globes-online article. They are talking about the same thing, right? They seem to contradict each other, unless news happened in the time between the two articles but the news was never reported.

The original Windsor Plaza shopping center spanned the north side of Richmond Ave. from Sage Rd. to S. Post Oak Rd. The western section included an A&P grocery store, a TG&Y variety store, washateria, barber shop, hobby shop, photo studio, and other like tenants. I think I even remember a karati school in there for awhile. The eastern section, closer to Post Oak did not actually get built with the first section. The parking lot, however, was built all the way to Post Oak. This parking lot became a frequent location for travelling carnivals, hot rodders and skate boarders (yes, we had those back then too!). The Windsor Theater openned aroung 1963 and was the only thing on the eastern part of the shopping center for several years. I remember the premiere movie was "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World. This was the first "Panoramic View" style theater in Houston.

A large amusement slide was built and operated on the eastern part, near Post Oak, for a few years in the mid 60's. It wasn't until the Galleria openned in 1970 that things started to be built out in that section. "Cooters" (Anybody remember that place?) eventually took the tenant space formerly occuppied by the A&P on the westwern end.

And of course the "Mens Club" made successfull use of the Windsor Plaza Bowling Alley building.

I just noticed today a billboard about a new development in the same area with a mixed development, didn't get much time to see it as traffic was heavy. It appears to have more built around the "lakes" and it seemed like a pretty large area that was planned. You could see the billboard going down McCue Road at Hidalgo. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow when I go in to work

I just noticed today a billboard about a new development in the same area with a mixed development, didn't get much time to see it as traffic was heavy. It appears to have more built around the "lakes" and it seemed like a pretty large area that was planned. You could see the billboard going down McCue Road at Hidalgo. I'll try to get a picture tomorrow when I go in to work

welcome to the forum houstonartstudent.

okay so when i said "large"...I meant somewhat small scale. I started a new post since it appears to be a different development Lakes on Post Oak Retail

The mystery grows...

I'm trying to get an idea of what property that might be, though. Seems a couple of miles west of the Galleria on San Felipe would be about Voss. There's already a pretty good amount of activity underway at that intersection.

not gonna be that senior living highrise, is it? i thought that was dead.

Archived