Company Buys Land In Uptown

lockmat

This may be slightly off topic, but I remember when the lots around the Galleria were mostly open pavement. In fact, I remember the lot north of the Galleria was some guy selling bean-bags out of a van. This was only about ten or fifteen years ago. Now its fifty-story buildings full of million-dollar condos. Wow, uptown has really changed.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems like if development continues the way it is downtown will be mostly business, and Uptown/Galleria will be mostly residential and shopping. Seems like a natural and desirable progression to me. If the density gets high enough on both sides it would seem natural to have some sort of underground mass transit line linking the two neighborhoods without disturbing the quieter neighborhoods between (I dare not use the dreaded "s" word.)

I agree, a streetcar isn't enough it must be rapid transit.

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps it was San Felipe at Woodway...

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/5323129.html

Plans for the 5.4-acre site, at the corner of San Felipe and Woodway, include two towers with 27 residential floors and a total of 223 condominiums surrounded by lush landscaping and fountains.

The project is being developed by Azorim, an Israeli real estate firm whose shares trade on the Tel-Aviv Stock Exchange. Brooklyn-based Boymelgreen Developers, whose founder owns 64 percent of Azorim, is managing the project.

Sales will begin next fall on the units, which will start at $1 million and average 2,500 square feet.

is that where the kroger is?

No I think its more where the old Antoines and Chipotle were, but behind that. Once you cross Voss on SF, there is a small stretch of Woodway off to the right. This is going to kill the value of a lot of those homes in Riverbend, as it will tower over them. That whole intersection is getting so congested. I remember when we moved into Tanglewood 13 years ago, the only thing in that stretch of Voss was the Randalls and some old apartments. The Kroger area was a defunct strip mall, the Escalante' strip was just a field.

No I think its more where the old Antoines and Chipotle were, but behind that. Once you cross Voss on SF, there is a small stretch of Woodway off to the right. This is going to kill the value of a lot of those homes in Riverbend, as it will tower over them. That whole intersection is getting so congested. I remember when we moved into Tanglewood 13 years ago, the only thing in that stretch of Voss was the Randalls and some old apartments. The Kroger area was a defunct strip mall, the Escalante' strip was just a field.

no, the property is where those old wooden office buildings are on san felipe just west of voss.

• 2 months later...

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/hig...1.html?ana=e_ph

A Dubai developer known for constructing conspicuous commercial and residential towers has acquired land in Houston.

Deyaar Development could build the company's first U.S. project on nearly six acres at the corner of Post Oak Boulevard and Richmond Avenue, south of the Galleria mall.

-----------

Shouldn't this thread be combined w/ this one? I'm pretty sure they're talking about the same thing.

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...showtopic=14547

• 3 weeks later...
I'm not sure how reliable Lewis Realty Advisors is, but they have a hunch this will be 50-60 floors.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/go...amp;newsLang=en

That's the one planned for BLVD Place as is the Ritz Carlton. Based on the language, it sounds like both have been locked in to some respect. Then again, it may just be a sloppily written analysis.

I'm cautiously optimistic. :)

That is a picture of The Burlington in Dubai, not what they'd build here (unless they copied it for some reason...)

Whatever the reason, if they did copy it they would be passing up the chief opportunity that the site possesses to be distinctive.

Ignoring for a moment the good questions of whether 'towers in a park' are sociologically reasonable or urbanistically useful: it's not for nothing that Houston is the third skyscraping place of North America, and this site done gracefully, but only then, would join the only other captivating pairs in the nation:

Empire State Building:Chrysler Building::Sears Tower:John Hancock Center::Transco Tower:________

in each of those blending cases, the smaller and more admired was built first. Let's hope Houston starts a new pattern.

• The title was changed to Company Buys Land In Uptown For Houston Development
  • The title was changed to Company Buys Land In Uptown

Archived