IronTiger

Lower Westheimer, 1986

33 posts in this topic

On 7/19/2017 at 10:11 PM, IronTiger said:

It looks like Stop N Go (and the other businesses there) were converted houses (which is what many businesses in Montrose were like). Neat!

The building looks like it was gone by 1989, though (probably closed after converting a nearby 7-Eleven?)

Most of the businesses were in converted houses, but the Stop N Go was your basic classic CMU convenience store box.

4 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Most of the businesses were in converted houses, but the Stop N Go was your basic classic CMU convenience store box.

Looks like the perspective is throwing me off. I see the curve and I know it's facing east, but Midnite Sun is 524 Westheimer, which would place it in the middle of the block, whereas the Stop N Go is farther out in a building that still exists (though is vacant) at Westheimer and Whitney. According to TSHA, Stop N Go adopted that name in 1983, though that wasn't the logo they were using by the late 1980s.

I'd reckon that they closed then when Diamond Shamrock bought the company and purged it of non-fuel locations?

17 minutes ago, IronTiger said:

I'd reckon that they closed then when Diamond Shamrock bought the company and purged it of non-fuel locations?

Hard to say.  It was Montrose in the 80s.  :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Hard to say.  It was Montrose in the 80s.  :ph34r:

Well, it was 1995 when Diamond Shamrock bought it, so it probably lasted through the 1980s. It does look like that entire row was bulldozed sometime in the 1980s for....reasons?

9 hours ago, IronTiger said:

Well, it was 1995 when Diamond Shamrock bought it, so it probably lasted through the 1980s. It does look like that entire row was bulldozed sometime in the 1980s for....reasons?

Ah, youth...  

The old joke is that if you remember the 80s you weren't really participating.

Now get off my lawn. ;)

38 minutes ago, mollusk said:

Ah, youth...  

The old joke is that if you remember the 80s you weren't really participating.

Now get off my lawn. ;)

I thought that it was if you remember the 1960s you weren't really there. In all seriousness, though, what did happen to that row? Was there a big fire?

The 80s tend to impair any remaining memory wisps of the 60s.

IIRC, they were bulldozed, not necessarily one at a time, and ultimately replaced by a strip center.  However, the Stop N Go was bricked over to match the strip center and is now The Bar Method. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.744887,-95.3877107,77a,35y,180h,39.59t/data=!3m1!1e3

1 hour ago, mollusk said:

The 80s tend to impair any remaining memory wisps of the 60s.

IIRC, they were bulldozed, not necessarily one at a time, and ultimately replaced by a strip center.  However, the Stop N Go was bricked over to match the strip center and is now The Bar Method. https://www.google.com/maps/@29.744887,-95.3877107,77a,35y,180h,39.59t/data=!3m1!1e3

According to Google Earth, all four(?) were wiped clean by 1989 but the strip mall wasn't built until 2000 (according to HCAD).