Fred Davis Out At Sports Radio 610 (KILT-AM)

Blue Dogs

It looks like KILT-AM 610 Houston is turning into a revolving door.

Houston Chronicle reported this week Fred Davis of the Fred and Ted show during weeknights, has been let go and is no longer with the station because of one bitter caller, who complained to the higher-ups of the station over something Davis allegedly said.

Davis's spot has been filled temporarily by Paul Gallant, Brien Straw and others in the weeknight show until a replacement is named.

What are your thoughts and reaction to Davis's abrupt dismissal from 610 ?

He was fired because of a complaint.  Innes left.  Warner retired (though I think that was quite a while ago).  Mark Vandemeer left to do the radio for the Texans (presumably a job like that is very secure and he needn't worry about his tenure unless he upsets someone in the organization).  ND Kalu and some of the other former Texans were given shows of their own on other stations.  I wouldn't call it a revolving door.  Fred Davis being let go probably prevented a lawsuit from someone that they deemed a threat to actually bring said lawsuit.

I've listened to their show on several occasions and thought some of the segments they did were aimed towards the 18-22 year old frat-boy type of listener.  Probably one of those got him in trouble?

610 will be fine - they still cover the Texans which is still the big money ticket in town, they could can all of their tallent and still draw ratings.

Barry Warner actually quit KILT, he didn't retire. He has done some fill in work for ND Kalu and Greg Koch at 790 KBME recently.

Other than that, I agree with your assessment, arche_757. KILT is going to be fine whether Fred Davis is in the lineup or not. They are the, I guess you'd say, heritage sports station in this city and coupled with KIKK, featuring CBS' national sports programming, they've got a real winner of a sports combo as it stands.

I mean after all, what else can you do with a 5 kilowatt full-time and a 250 Watt daytime only pair of low band AM stations that will make a profit, other than airing sports?

If you want to talk about revolving door stations that need to pull the plug and start completely from scratch, look no further than the high end of the AM dial. There you have a 50 kilowatt daytime blowtorch, that can't keep talent or show up in the ratings. I suspect co-owning 97-5, and its billing dollars that are coming in, are what's keeping the porch light on at 1560.

I enjoyed Paul Gallant much more the other night. Has a more professional presentation. These stations have become so unprofessional it's kinda embarrassing. I'm all for being yourself but try not talking over a commercial, remembering to turn on your mic, reset the interview, come to work prepared instead of just rambling random thoughts. Those are just a few examples.

That show calls you to kiss up to Ted Johnson for 4 hours....something he did very well

it was a waste of a time slot as they would discuss too much football or other nonsense....610 wanted to promote local shows but that slot is hard unless your putting a decent product to be heard it was not..the lack of calls showed

Nobody knows and nobody involved will say.

He has gone on record saying it was sexual in nature. (What a surprise, right? He and Ted are mini Innes' with theirperverted minds.)

Anyways, he said it was sexual in nature. However he has not commented further, beyond saying he didn'tthink it was worth getting upset over while also being too spineless torepeat it. He's an ass anyways -- probably getting more tattoos and doing roids as he lifts weights and oogles women.

I like the new night show, Gallant gives it a little more credibility and they are good together.  My favorite out of this whole new toss up is Nick Wright and Lopez in the mornings except I rarely get to listen at that time.  Nick is great but Lopez can be annoying sometimes but they keep each other in check and Nick has no problem calling him out.

With Innes gone it's really nice to be able to listen to sports radio in the afternoons again.  Sean Pendergast is a much better fit with Rich than Josh was.

• The title was changed to Fred Davis Out At Sports Radio 610 (KILT-AM)

Archived