Innes out at KILT 610 Radio Sports?

HerculesQEinstein

I'm not a huge fan of him, but I do actually think he's pretty talented -particularly for radio.  He is not, however, cut out for the style of radio like what 610am broadcasts, or that their listeners really want.  I've always seen him as the kind of "shock jock" who could work at a 94.5 or a similar station.

I get how Innes can draw ratings bc he is a troll, but I don't have respect for his style or any of the skip Bayliss types. It really isn't hard to stir the pot.

610 has the texans gravy train. Besides Lopez and maybe Lord I don't think any actually care about Houston sports.

Just listened to that audio - provided at the above link - Innes was, for all intents and purposes (even though it devolved towards the end to a p*ssing match between Lord and Innes), correct in his assesment of Schaub's QB play not being JUST based on the poor offensive line play.  So he had a reason to get angry and upset.  And he made a great point that 610 never criticizes (or didn't at the time) Schaub or Kubiak.  I've never liked Rich Lord or Innes.  I think they are a really bad pairing, though I really don't listen to 610 except on Monday's after games on my way to work.

Innes will land on his feet somewhere better suited to his talents/personality than a sports talk radio station.

Josh is to me now what Jim Rome was a long time ago. First time I heard Rome I thought he was an idiot. The more I listened to him, the more I liked him. Josh is similar. He turned a lot of people off at first but you'll notice nobody complains about him anymore - people like him now. Although I don't like the way he communicates sometimes, he's right a lot of times. He just doesn't have a filter. He's actually pretty funny, too. I just wish he would be cleaner.

Lopez - so so, but he has solid takes (most journalists do, a la Solomon)

Nick - eh - hate his teases, has been improving

Meltzer - pretty good and fair - sees both sides

Payne - pretty good

Ennis - entertaining, brutally honest, needs filter, unprofessional

Lord - best in town, great communicator, fair with solid takes

Patriots guy - so so

Patriots guy side kick - not my favorite

Zierlein - I miss his 610 days

Clanton - should stick to tv

Matt Thomas - funny

Pallilo - good but can be really boring

I can't find one reason to listen to espn locals, okay maybe Solomon, but that's it.

Overall, I feel like local sports radio has been going downhill the past few years. A lot less professional and lower quality and as much as I like football, that's ALL they talk about.

I used to listen to Josh & Rich but they got kind of annoying, so I start listening mostly to Charlie Pallilo on 790. These days, though, the only show I listen to is the Blitz on ESPN 97.5 It's by far the best sports talk show in town. They do talk about gambling a lot and non-sports stuff as well, so I can see why some people don't like them, but Fred and AJ are hilarious and keep it real, unlike some of the people on 610 with their non-stop Texans love. (Although maybe this has changed this season, I haven't been listening, and I find it hard to believe that anyone could remain positive about the Texans after this disaster). 

So Innes could be leaving Sports Radio 610 ?

It maybe because of his constant feuding with Rich Lord, Nick Wright (who needs a damn NOSEJOB) and Lopez making fun of him, etc.,

I won't be shocked if Innes not only left Houston, but left Texas altogether.

Most of my time is on 790 "in the Trenches Koch and Kalu" they do get redundant however...Pallilo knows his stuff.  610 in the afternoon RARELY take calls and lots of crap non sports; Meltzer is pitiful .  Lopez is the only good thing about mornings. 1560 is dead weight. Pallilo and Lord back in the day were great BUT that was old times.  Really back in the day 740 with John O'Reilly and his buddies  like John Breen were SUPERIOR

Most of my time is on 790 "in the Trenches Koch and Kalu" they do get redundant however...Pallilo knows his stuff. 610 in the afternoon RARELY take calls and lots of crap non sports; Meltzer is pitiful . Lopez is the only good thing about mornings. 1560 is dead weight. Pallilo and Lord back in the day were great BUT that was old times. Really back in the day 740 with John O'Reilly and his buddies like John Breen were SUPERIOR

What don't you like about Meltzer?

Morning is Lance and Adam.  Adam sucks but Lance is great.  Lunch war room with John Harris and Sean Salisbury.  Drive home switches between Pallilo and Sean & John on 1560.

Every time 790 or 1560 is going really slow or somebody is off, I try 610.  Every time I end up going to 97.5 FM or just listening to music.

What don't you like about Meltzer?

I'm not sure about readam's oipinion, but for me:

Meltser is a dry host who may have good recall of data but his analysis is often flawed. His biggest turnoff and shortcoming is he NEVER can admit he's wrong about anything; he will argue like a cement head and whine and yell but not admit to being wrong. (He shares that trait withhis fat slob pal, Innes.)

Maybe it's just pompous Syracuse arrogance, similar to Nick Wright...at least Charlie, when he is incorrect, mans up and admits it.

• 2 weeks later...

Meltzer acts like he's scared of Payne as he rarely contradicts him...similar to that Fred and Ted show at night...its like they let the pro athlete get away with anything...problem with Meltzer is that he tries to be too hard to know football

Innes...no comment...horrible..does not fit in with the company line guys at the Texans

the rest are not worth even listening to...

Can we have a non-former pro-athlete African-American ever get on the airwaves in Houston?  One that knows Houston meaning the college scene, high schools, etc...every thing is Texan talk but the local schools are suffering

Meltzer acts like he's scared of Payne as he rarely contradicts him...similar to that Fred and Ted show at night...its like they let the pro athlete get away with anything...problem with Meltzer is that he tries to be too hard to know football

Innes...no comment...horrible..does not fit in with the company line guys at the Texans

Can we have a non-former pro-athlete African-American ever get on the airwaves in Houston?  One that knows Houston meaning the college scene, high schools, etc...every thing is Texan talk but the local schools are suffering

Have you ever listened to In the Trenches on 790 (9-11AM)?

Racist.

Eh, not a big fan of anyone at 1560. I wouldn't mind Travis Johnson taking his place. Or you who I really like are the guys who come on 610 random Wedsneday nights who run the autograph shows. Those guys know their stuff and have great anecdotes.

You could follow Innes' facebook posts by looking at the location of where (if he's in Houston, that means he's staying), but if he's somewhere else: it means he might be leaving Houston and Texas for good.

If I were him, I would NOT go to Memphis because the city is a hell-hole.

BREAKING NEWS: Innes leaving 610 KILT-AM Houston after 4 years on the station for WIP-FM Philadelphia.

Innes will be replaced by Sean Pendergast of KGOW 1560 AM on January 3rd.

Houston Chronicle reported this story:

http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2013/12/josh-innes-leaving-kilt-for-job-in-philadelphia/

I'm not sure about readam's oipinion, but for me:

Meltser is a dry host who may have good recall of data but his analysis is often flawed. His biggest turnoff and shortcoming is he NEVER can admit he's wrong about anything; he will argue like a cement head and whine and yell but not admit to being wrong. (He shares that trait withhis fat slob pal, Innes.)

Maybe it's just pompous Syracuse arrogance, similar to Nick Wright...at least Charlie, when he is incorrect, mans up and admits it.

Interesting. I've admitted a bunch of things I've been wrong about:

• didn't want Peyton Manning 1.5 years ago - dead wrong
  • liked the Ed Reed signing - dead wrong
  • felt Derek Newton would improve this season based on his knee issue late last season - wrong

There are plenty more, but I think I've been pretty open about various things I have been wrong about on the air. 

Mike

Interesting. I've admitted a bunch of things I've been wrong about:

• didn't want Peyton Manning 1.5 years ago - dead wrong
  • liked the Ed Reed signing - dead wrong
  • felt Derek Newton would improve this season based on his knee issue late last season - wrong

There are plenty more, but I think I've been pretty open about various things I have been wrong about on the air. 

Mike

The Peyton Manning issue was always a "flip of the coin" sort of decision.  He was either going to come back and be productive (no one could have guessed he would break the records he has recently broken) or have issues with his body following all of those surgeries and go out performing poorly.  The reward was huge, but so was the risk.

And while you may have made those comments, I do believe 90% + of all Texans fans expected Newton to be better, and adding Ed Reed (despite his age) to be a win/win for the defensive backfield.  We were all wrong, and to state otherwise is silly (for lack of a better word).  No one foresaw the "Schaub-pocalypse" or Kubiak getting fired for a 2-14 season.  NO ONE.

Lance Zerlein was pretty close. He had them pegged at 6-10 for the season. Even he didn't see just how bad this was going to be. The one thing that I will add to this is that without Gary Kubiak here, we can say goodbye to Rick Denison and his heart that belongs to Denver. They can have the rest of him, and his worn out playbook. Let's get Lovie Smith in here and tear some teams up. All this talk about Bill O'Brien reminds me of another "offensive guru" we gave their first NFL head coaching job, and how did that go? 2 years of slightly above average football, ending in the 2nd round to a team with a superior coaching staff. Bill O'Brien doesn't excite me in the least.

Archived