Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lockmat

Proposed Theme Park near Tanger Outlet in Texas City

58 posts in this topic

Slusky in 2012 bought 25 acres fronting I-45, south of Tanger Outlets, and caused a stir when he announced in March 2013 plans for the Texas City venture. Initially, he was going to call it Playland Park, but renamed it Adventure Pointe.

The park’s main historical reference will be the trains, which are fully refurbished. The track will rotate eight different trains. The remainder will be on display in a roundhouse that guests can tour to learn about the mechanics and history of steam engines.

Trains are his hobby, Slusky said.

“I don’t play golf,” he said.

The first phase of the park will include a carousel, a pirate village with a Jean Lafitte’s ship attraction, a Land of Oz area, a venue for live entertainment and interactive games.

Slusky has acquired the 1958 Allen Herschell Grand Carousel. It has 60 horses and two chariots. He’s upgrading the carousel with LED lighting — about 600 light bulbs. The carousel also is being stored in his Alvin warehouse.

Adventure Pointe also will feature banquet spaces for conferences, weddings, civic and company outings, among others, and boast a year-round ice-skating rink made with eco-friendly synthetic ice technology, said Terri Lera, who, with Katie Hurley, owns design-build firm Fineas + Clover, which Slusky hired to design and oversee construction of the park.

Developing a theme park is neither easy nor quick nor inexpensive.

“I knew it would be a challenge, but I’ve never been shy about taking on a challenge,” he said.

Although Slusky wouldn’t mind attracting sponsors for some attractions — including possibly a roller coaster down the line — he’s the sole stakeholder, financing the project himself.

“I want to say I developed this myself,” said Slusky, who declined to disclose his financial investment in Adventure Pointe.

Area residents and theme park enthusiasts have been eagerly awaiting signs of development at the Adventure Pointe site.

Some observers worry there hasn’t been a lot of work at the site.

But crews have completed public infrastructure work, including waterlines, sanitary sewer, detention and general construction, Lera said.

Now, Adventure Pointe is working to submit plans to the city for private infrastructure work needed to support the theme park and attractions, she said.

Adventure Pointe intends to submit plans to Texas City officials in coming weeks, Lera said.

When those plans are approved and the work is complete, then people will begin seeing Adventure Pointe rise, Lera said.

Over the past several years, the team of experts Slusky assembled to develop Adventure Pointe has visited other theme parks, attended International Association of Amusement Parks and Attractions conventions and has designed and redesigned the park to accommodate both enthusiasts and casual visitors, especially families.

The team spent many hours poring over and perfecting plans and considering story lines for themed areas. Adventure Pointe won’t be a roadside carnival with a few rides. It will be tightly themed, Lera said.

Slusky believes Adventure Pointe will put Texas City on the map, luring people from all over the Houston region.

The development would greatly add to the city’s strategic plan, Mayor Matt Doyle said.

“We’re looking forward to it,” Doyle said. “Every time we do strategic planning, the young people ask for more things to do. This will certainly give them more things to do and it will be nice to have a place where families can go to spend the day together.”

Slusky plans to open Adventure Pointe in the spring or early summer of 2017.

http://www.galvnews.com/business/article_a0e356e0-fe96-5c95-b882-50502e65d536.html?mode=story

1 person likes this

Adventure Pointe stated construction would begin this summer..Construction trailer now on site!  

Adventure Pointe inboxed me on facebook after asking about a construction timetable to say that it would open spring/summer 2017 and possibly a section of it would be open in a few months from now.  I know the ground is being cleared for the parking lot and sidewalks as of current.  Also the rides would be installed early next year.

Edited by uscats35
1 person likes this

This has progressed to paving way for the train tracks and laying concrete..  Much more activity on site now.  Also looks like they are working on the entrance opposite of tanger outlets. I took pictures from the back of the property, so all the construction toward I-45 is not shown on photos.

IMG_0482.JPG

IMG_0483.JPG

IMG_0484.JPG

Edited by uscats35
1 person likes this

Taken last week.  It was about 10 people on site working and alot of equipment moving.

IMG_0594.JPG

Edited by uscats35
1 person likes this