Ike: Comcast and the hurricane

HtownWxBoy

No, really. I haven't heard a dial tone since last century. It's weird to think people are still hearing them.

Not half as weird as thinking that no one is using the 163 million landlines in the US. And, not half as weird as bragging that you put all of your eggs in one basket. FWIW, I never lost landline service (or the DSL that goes with it). For two days, the only communication I had was 21st century texting and 20th century talking on my landline.

BTW, this is a Comcast thread? How 80s.

Again, you tech hipsters crack me up.

I called Comcast yesterday... they are crediting me for 16 days w/o cable or internet which is exactly how many days I was without it... not bad. :)

I am confused. :huh: I didn't have power for 2 weeks... so obviously my meter wasn't running those two weeks... when they read the meter next will they not see that?

Just received my Reliant Bill... although it was estimated, it was estimated pretty low... about what I thought it would be... like half of what it usually is since I was w/o power for two weeks.

I haven't called Comcast for a credit yet because I still don't have cable or net. The service tech showed up Sunday morning (after Comcast had rescheduled my appointment twice over the past several days without notifying me either time), took one look in the backyard, and determined that in addition to my aerial drop to the house being down, the large cable also down which I'd assumed was a power line was in fact the main cable line from the pole. He said he couldn't fix it, but would report it immediately and it should be addressed quickly. Called back on Tuesday to follow up, and the CSR said she would escalate.

Two days later, still no sign of a Comcast repair crew. Closest I got was a Centerpoint contractor trimming a few branches away from the power lines yesterday. I'm about ready to switch to AT&T U-verse.

While I am in my 19th day without service, Comcast's contractor tried to establish service for a new customer 3 houses from me yesterday.

The contractor must have reported to the head office that there was no signal, so a lineman showed up today TO FIX THE SERVICE SO THE NEW CUSTOMER COULD BE CONNECTED! :wacko:

Meanwhile, I get the run around and canceled appointments from Comcast customer service. :angry2:

Maybe if they get their new customer on-line, maybe I'll get service too.

There ought to be a law against connecting new accounts when your current customers are without service.... for 19 days!

• 2 weeks later...

Sing it...

We're on day 31 without internet service. Also with crappy, now you see it, now you don't cable service. Multiple pleading phone calls to customer service finally resulted in a technician visit to our house. The verdict? "Something" is messed up in the main line, and there was nothing he could do except report it. The tech could only sigh and tell us he has no idea what Comcast will do to fix it, or when they'll get around to it. (he was from somewhere out of state, just got pulled in to help with recovery).

It really stinks because the spouse works from home, and there's only so much he can do via Blackberry. Thank god for free wireless at Antidote and Onion Creek.

After 31 days, it's time to give up and switch to something else. Even if you don't like AT&T, if it can get you online it's better than not being online. You've been more than patient.

Or maybe it's time to consider satellite. I don't know if you can get satellite internet and TV on the same dish or not, but it's worth looking into. I sure hope you're either not paying your Comcast bill or thoroughly documenting the outages.

Another option to think about is cellular data. Now that the mobile networks are catching up, it's a real option for some people. Some wireless companies will even give you a wifi router for your home that interfaces with their data networks. A 1.5 megabit connection from a cellular company certainly beats a zero megabit connection from Comcast.

Sing it...

We're on day 31 without internet service. Also with crappy, now you see it, now you don't cable service. Multiple pleading phone calls to customer service finally resulted in a technician visit to our house. The verdict? "Something" is messed up in the main line, and there was nothing he could do except report it. The tech could only sigh and tell us he has no idea what Comcast will do to fix it, or when they'll get around to it. (he was from somewhere out of state, just got pulled in to help with recovery).

It really stinks because the spouse works from home, and there's only so much he can do via Blackberry. Thank god for free wireless at Antidote and Onion Creek.

See my earlier post. I gave up at day 23 or so and ordered DSL from ATT. It's just as fast as cable and a small fraction of the cost. (They have a deal if you switch from cable for $100 for the first year with a free modem)

On the 30th day without Comcast, I was able to connect the DSL and call Comcast to disconnect my service that still was not working. Comcast said they still did not have an estimated time for service restoration.

File your FCC complaint here.

http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm?sid...0&id=d1e728

Those who still haven't had service restored may find this useful:

Comcast internal info

Some advice: start with the National Support Desk. Be polite and appreciative of any assistance they can offer, but be persistent if necessary. Remember that dealing directly with customers is not their job. Be prepared to explain your issue to several different people starting from scratch. They are located in New Jersey, and don't necessarily know much about the Houston service area, but they do have the ability to get someone's attention in Houston who has the power to fix your problems.

I had no service from the day Ike hit due to a main cable up on the pole being severed. I spent almost a month dealing with the main call center (1-800-COMCAST) to no avail. I contacted someone at the National Support Desk this past Sunday, and by yesterday there were two techs in my backyard installing a new cable. The support people I dealt with over the past few days were professional, polite and apologetic throughout. If the level 1 support people were even half as competent, Comcast's reputation for terrible customer service wouldn't be nearly as bad as it is.

Thanks for the number.

While my calling there did result in the appearance of 2 technicians at our house today, no one has any clue as to what is wrong. Seriously. All they know is there are line disruptions somewhere but they haven't the foggiest idea of what to do to fix it. They have a work order in to replace something on the line behind our house, but they're not optimistic that that will solve the problem. And unlike Centerpoint, Comcast does not have an army of out of town workers to put on repairs, even though they have nearly the same number of customers, so there's no telling when we'll have service restored. They were at least apologetic.

So I guess we're just cursed by bad luck in regards to the signal. (Our neighbors all have perfectly fine service). It's time to call AT&T. And to get ready for the fight to get our refund from Comcast.

Assuming your cable is aerial as opposed to buried, if all your neighbors have service and you don't, I'd start to suspect the aerial drop to your house from the pole. Or the cable wiring in your house, but that can be trickier to isolate.

Depending on how much patience you have left, I'd keep calling the National Support Desk until this gets resolved. But I feel your pain, if U-Verse had been available in my area, I'd have probably given up and switched. I've yet to meet anyone who switched from cable to U-Verse who felt that U-Verse wasn't miles better (and cheaper to boot). I talked to an AT&T lineman who was up on the pole in my neighbors' backyard a few days ago and asked him when U-Verse would be available in our neighborhood, and he said that a new equipment cabinet had already been installed on a corner a couple of blocks away (which I'd somehow missed during our daily dog walks), and that they would be pulling fiber from the Central Office serving the area to the cabinet in the not-too-distant future. If that happens, I can't see us continuing with Comcast for much longer.

Archived