Barking Dogs

BryanS

...OK... I have a little problem here... or should I say that my neighbor, two houses down, has a problem. Their dog, which they recently acquired, say 6/8 months ago, is right at that age where it barks at everything, incessantly, destroying the tranquility of my once-peaceful street. I don't even need an alarm clock any more, because they let the thing out at 7:00 a.m., every day. Unlike the other dogs in the neighborhood, this one is especially annoying. Don't get me wrong, I love animals... but I hate this one.

I am sure others have had this problem. Do you talk to your neighbor? And if so, what do you tell them? "Can you please shut your dog up?" That is rather obvious... but what if the problem keeps coming back? Has anyone had any luck with City of Houston services, that you can call to address the problem? I don't just want to tell my neighbor to keep their dog quiet...

From my HOA

"...the City of Houston does have a noise control ordinance, you must call the HPD non-emergency phone number (713-222-3131) and they will come out to speak to the owner; if it is a persistent problem HPD can issue the dog

I just tell my dog to shut up, but it seldom works. OH, you said the NEIGHBOR'S dog....umm, nevermind. :blush:

Seriously, good neighbors hash things out between themselves. On my street, only one neighbor will not listen, but rather than be upset with his dog (it is a Malamut, so it howls instead of barks), we feel sorry for it, and plot ways to steal it from him. If you really must call 311, the only instance I am aware of got a fairly quick response from the City. It is BARC, not HPD that handles the complaint.

Edited by RedScare

the best start would be to go talk with the neighbor, particularly if you know them. sounds like the barking isn't a problem to them. i think you'll be disappointed in the response from animal control.

lastly get double pane windows or find a solution not condoned by PETA.

Get yourself a prescription for Ambien, and then go to the grocery store and buy a 1lb. pkg. of hamburger meat. Put Ambien into center of a well formed meatball and toss into neighbor's yard. Enjoy your night's sleep.

Edited by TJones

Don't know about Houston but League City gives people one warning and if they have to come back again they give them a citation for disturbing the peace. My neighbor called on another neighbor after pleading with them to put their dog inside after 3 hours of non-stop daytime barking and a few all nighters. When this didn't work she had no other choice but to call. They came out, heard the rukus and gave them a warning. Once again peace reigns supreme. I don't understand people that let their dogs bark constantly. A little barking is understandable. I have 2 retrievers and if they start barking for the sake of barking I tell them to get their fuzzy butts inside and stop bothering the neighbors.

My neighbors and I are dealing with the same problem right now. The dog in question has a very deep and loud bark and will bark for several hours at a time. The owners make no attempt to quiet the dog. Several of us have contacted the HOA about it, each two times. One of my neighbors asked the HOA what else we could do, and they suggested that all of us talk to the neighbors or write a letter, outlining the problem and saying that if improvements aren't seen in several weeks, that the next course of action would be to contact the Fort Bend county Dispute Resolution Center. We mailed off a letter yesterday. Hopefully, this will work.

We had same problem last night. Even placing wood panels across our windows does no good. These dogs bark all night. Of course they sleep during the day when we are all at work. Its out of control. The neighbor does not care about eveyone else. We have tried talking to them. Very stubborn. There has to be citations issued somehow. Help! I love pets but this is just being mean. In fact the yard is all ripped up, muddy and filthy. The dog food attracts rodents so this is what thye bark at and at other stray animals. Its a zoo. (speaking with red eyes from no sleep).

Have you tried just knocking on the door and asking the owners to do something about the barking? There's a good chance they will be embarrassed enough to do something. Sometimes face-to-face contact works wonders, because frequently people are too stupid to realize that the barking might be annoying neighbors until they can actually see the neighbors.

Forget barking, I had my neighbor's 2 PITBULLS crash through our shared fence yesterday. By a stroke of pure luck, I had just let my dog in about 2 minutes earlier. I at least got a little chuckle as one of them fell into my pool and had a blast trying to get out. I would have gone out to help, but I had called my neighbor and told them of the situation, and that I was about to go put them up for them when he pleaded with me NOT to go out there, as he feared for my safety. I thought better of it at that point also. I almost went out anyways to help the stupid dog and she finally got a foot hold to get out of the pool on her own. My neighbor's wife finally came home from work to corral the unruly killers and took them inside her house while I repaired the damaged fence. needless to say, my neighbor and I are gonna put up a NEW fence probably this weekend or next.

I would suggest a shockwire for the killer pitbulls.! My neighbor lets her dog dig constantly by the fence, he finally broke through and then my dogs went over there. Now they want to go back and I am the one that had to buy a shockwire. Geeez

For the barking you could try a barkbuster if you lived right next door. It puts out a loud annoying sound everytime the dog barks, if it doesn't work, maybe it will at least annoy the neighbor with the dogs.

Oh, that shockwire is getting installed also. They already have it across the back part of their fence, 925 volts, SWEET ! I myself am not really scared of their dogs. I just worry about what might happen if one of my kids were back there, GOD FORBID!!! We have talked about it a little already. I am gonna split the cost of the fence with him, but the wire is on him.

Edited by TJones

We have had packs of dogs moving around in groups and start barking at around 2:00am to 4:00am.

Can we still buy rocket launchers on E-Bay? Mine would sit perfectly from second floor window pointing straight at these critters.

What gets me is some of them have dog tags on their necks? Where are the owners??? and most of all why do they allow them to roam ready to kill??? :(

We have had packs of dogs moving around in groups and start barking at around 2:00am to 4:00am.

Can we still buy rocket launchers on E-Bay? Mine would sit perfectly from second floor window pointing straight at these critters.

What gets me is some of them have dog tags on their necks? Where are the owners??? and most of all why do they allow them to roam ready to kill??? :(

Sounds like you need to make like it's "open season."