Lindale Park Sales Brochure

rps324

I live in that neighborhood but i don't see my house. That would have been cool.

I had an aunt that lived there for decades and I still know a few smart people that moved back in for the close location to work.

Most of these houses look just like the ones on our near east side of downtown over by Austin High School areas. Our homes were also built in late 1930's to mid 1940's. That advertisment of Jeff Davis is sooooo rare! This brochure is so cool. Again, proving that inner city was well... just Houston and a beautiful place to live and grow up in. :)

I lived in Lindale up until 1958 as a kid. Does anyone know where the golf course was? I remember hearing about it but never knew where it was. That's a great picture of Linder Lake.

Linder Lake snack bar made the world's best hamburgers. I'm pretty sure my opinion about the burgers had nothing to do with being an eight year old boy who had been swimming for about five hours before I got my burger.

I lived in Lindale up until 1958 as a kid. Does anyone know where the golf course was? I remember hearing about it but never knew where it was. That's a great picture of Linder Lake.

Linder Lake snack bar made the world's best hamburgers. I'm pretty sure my opinion about the burgers had nothing to do with being an eight year old boy who had been swimming for about five hours before I got my burger.

I have an old map somewhere that shows it.

if i remember correctly it was on the westside of the neighborhood.

i think the later sections of lindale park were built over it.

So where was/is the lindale park shopping center shown in the brochure? is it still extant?

Edited by gnu

The "shopping center" shown in the brouchere is at about the 4900-5000 block of Fulton, maybe at the NE corner of Gale and Fulton. The drugstore shown was Spell's Pharmacy (at least it was in the 50's). I don't remember what else was in the strip center. Apparently nothing that would interest a 9 year old. I do remember that Spell's had a fountain/ lunch counter. If I saved up my lunch money, I'd stop there on the way home from school and get a nickel cherry phosphate. If my friend and I couldn't quite come up with the five cents, we'd kick in and buy one together and ask for two straws. From that point on, it was a race.

I believe the building may still be there. It was just south of the Al-Ray Theater, which has been mentioned in this forum before.

The "shopping center" shown in the brouchere is at about the 4900-5000 block of Fulton, maybe at the NE corner of Gale and Fulton. The drugstore shown was Spell's Pharmacy (at least it was in the 50's).

I believe the building may still be there. It was just south of the Al-Ray Theater, which has been mentioned in this forum before.

It looks like you might be right - the bldg might still be there (probably doesn't look the same though). From my old directory, Spell's was at 4938 fulton which would put it on the SE corner of Fulton and Gale (i know you said NE but do you think it could have been se ?). From Google, a building of similar footprint is still there. HCAD shows it as built 1950...but we know how accurate that can be...not very.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&...002704&z=19

Btw the NE corner was wiped clean for an Uber Mansion (see it on the google link too)

all of this just before WWII. Makes one wonder how wifepoo made it "if hubby" was shipped off overseas.

In fact most well to do or middle class nabes (as in near East End) had housemaids. See the old classic Best Years of Our Lives, this brochure looks right out of it. Depicts the era perfectly.

In fact most of these neighborhood homes were just 1-2 bedrooms. You were lucky to find a 3 bedroom. So the idea or plan was to only have about 2-3 kids at the most?

I keep hearing June Cleaver's voice now! :o:)

It looks like you might be right - the bldg might still be there (probably doesn't look the same though).

It appears to be still there, though hardly recognizable. One side's a street car accessory shop and the other is a storefront church for Spanish speakers. It looks horrible now, as does Fulton from top to bottom. The Reids would be horrified. :huh:

The Lindale Park nabe itself and the MetroRail along with the future townhomes that will sprout should improve Fulton eventually.

I am going to self correct here. After a second look at the picture of the shopping center in the brochure, I'm sure that that is not a picture of Spell's Pharmacy on Fulton. It's a picture of Lindale Park Pharmacy at 6030 Irvington. It bugged me so much that I went by there and took a look at both buildings. 6030 Irvington is where Irvington crosses under Loop 610. The 6030 number would be under the overpass. At 6010 Irvington is an abbreviated version of the strip center where the pharmacy was. It is now Dawson's Pest Control Chemicals. HCAD says it was built in 1940. I suspect it was moved for the freeway contruction and part of the building (south end) was cut off, or they lopped of the north end and moved the entry door. Dawson's door entry is built into the corner of the building, just like the picture in the brochure. I discovered most of this by looking at a 1949 Houston telephone book. BTW, Lindale Pharmacy's tel no. is ME-3611 in case anyone needs any antique drugs.

Thanks for the great thread. My grandparents lived in Lindale Park and raised my dad there. They lived on Joyce Street, which was one of the last sections developed and was originally part of the golf course. I had two pairs of aunts and uncles who lived on Caplin in Lindale Courts.

They are all dead now, but I know my dad would have gotten a kick out of this thread.

Great photos! Thanks for posting!

Lindale Park is a neat old neighborhood...

The Reid's home was originally on the corner of Linder Ave and Irvington Blvd. When 610 was constructed, it was moved to its current location at the Northwest corner of Helmers and Woodard, across from St. Albans Episcopal Church.

There is actually some truth to the claim regarding individual design in the homes. Though many homes share the same floor plan, they all differ slightly in their external appearance. There are very few duplicates.

Does anyone know the story of that big English Tudor on Robertson near the intersection with Gale? Though it's not technically in Lindale Park, just outside the border. It's a nice old house, but it looks a little out of place in the "cheaper" half of the neighborhood among the wood-sided cottages.

• 3 years later...

This old thread on Lindale Park subdivision is very good, the old brochure is great. What a beautiful piece of land that golf course sat on, too bad it was sacrificed for more homes. Looks like from the topo. map - 1946 that the golf course sat in between Fulton (E. Montgomery Rd) and Helmes Rds., north of Graceland St. & Reid Memorial Church. I would speculate that the swimming pool or Lindale Lake would have been located near the golf course, as so many others were during that time period, but I don't know for sure. Have seen no reference to the lake. The map only shows the southern portion of a golf course, no name on it. Again, i'm guessing it was Lindale Golf Course, as the name is referenced so much on GoogleEarth, in that area. Note : I-45 North is west of Fulton.

http://www.lib.utexa...ouston_ne46.jpg

see top - left corner of map

As for that Tudor house,I've hunted, but came up empty. Looks like so many other old large estate homes of the time, with the land sitting behind the house, was grand at one time. Sanborns (referenced- *1951) show that it was a neighborhood with many unpaved, impassable, closed streets. Gale St. was blocked from Robertson St. Only certain roads were open, very secluded. Many HAR references have left me empty with a subdivision name or property owner name. I get the names from Har, then go to the block books. "Brookesmith" is one block book-subdivision name with a nice reference map of the area.

Edited by NenaE