Historic Houston Miniature Golf Courses

Subdude

There was a miniature golf course on Yale, north of Loop 610, during the 1960s, going north, on the right side, just before the railroad tracks. The putting surfaces had black felt instead of green. I either went there on a birthday or with Cub Scouts. It was already kind of worn out at that point. Sad that most putt putt courses are gone.

This is kind of off-topic, but I live up near Spring (inside Houston city limits though) and there was a Golfing range right as you exit I45 for 1960. It seemed to be getting good business, but now I notice they had a for sale sign (forget how many acres).

Are these ranges not good businesses? They seemed to always have a steady clientel out there almost all year round.

This is kind of off-topic, but I live up near Spring (inside Houston city limits though) and there was a Golfing range right as you exit I45 for 1960. It seemed to be getting good business, but now I notice they had a for sale sign (forget how many acres).

Are these ranges not good businesses? They seemed to always have a steady clientel out there almost all year round.

I've seen many ranges come and go. The one on Kingsland (between Mason and Fry in Katy) changed owners frequently and to my knowledge is a paintball course now. It has an automatic dispenser which set your ball on the tee by just tapping a lever.

I think driving ranges are often used as placeholders and maybe a way to get money to pay land taxes until an area develops. Then, when the value increases, the owners look to sell it to whoever wants to make the newest subdivision, shopping center, apartment complex, whatever.

cases in point - 610/Post Oak, one of my favorites hitting off the hill - apartments, I think; 59n @ 494 (kingwood) - Lowe's; I'm sure there are other examples.

There was a miniature golf course on Yale, north of Loop 610, during the 1960s, going north, on the right side, just before the railroad tracks. The putting surfaces had black felt instead of green. I either went there on a birthday or with Cub Scouts. It was already kind of worn out at that point. Sad that most putt putt courses are gone.

I can

• 1 year later...
Yes, I played on that one, too. It was somewhere on the feeder near Airport Blvd. I think they had go-karts, too. I'm not thinking of SuperTrack -- that came after this one.

I played at the Putt-Putt off the Gulf Freeway, in between Monroe & Airport. Before that, there was one at Telephone & Bellfort, on the corner, where the Safeway parking lot is now.

• 8 years later...

I used to play at a place on the corner of S. Main and North Braceswood it had a driving range next door that was next to the  Kiddie Wonderland. For 2 summers I worked for Kiddie Wonderland. I played at that miniature golf course up thru high school in 1968.    

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/30/2007 at 2:32 PM, chrisngrod said:

I swear there was a miniature golf course in Memorial City Mall at one time. Back when they had the entertainment area upstairs and one in the food court.

I believe that was correct, part of Fame City. There's a commercial actually that shows a part of it.

On 11/1/2017 at 6:47 PM, marmer said:

Correct.  Closed and sold off its buildings and fixtures in 1979.  Houston Golf Center, 7710 (South) Main.  Residence Inn was built on the site in 1983.  It opened in 1959, a project of famous oilman Albert Plummer.

It looks like it had a driving range or something because the actual "park" area was at the direct corner of Main and Braeswood, which Residence Inn DIDN'T build on. That remained vacant for twenty more years until 7000 Main (Southside Group, specialty pharmacy company) was built.

• The title was changed to Historic Houston Miniature Golf Courses

Archived