God, gays, genetics, and airlines

houstonmacbro

I don't disagree at all. I'll be honest, and you (NMainguy) know this from personal conversations we've had in the past, but I'm not a big fan of "being gay". I'm a red-blooded, passionately heterosexual male that loves only women. Just the thought of two guys kissing grosses me out.

BUT..

I don't think that means gay people should not be given the same rights. I personally think that marriage should be left for churches, and civil unions for governments. In other words, no matter who you are, and who you're attracted to, when it comes time to file taxes, pass on social security benefits, pension plans, etc etc - you should be able to do so, via a government sponsored civil union. If you want to show God how much you want his approval by marriage, then take it to a church to get your approval.

I personally feel we need to remove God from the government completely. I think that would solve so many "moral" and "ethical" issues in one shot. Religion affects our political lives far too much. It should almost be a non-issue when dealing with matters of the government like: war, civil-rights, election platforms, politics, and most importantly - politicians. Instead, religious views take hold, influence, and even most times poison the entire process.

The only "gay" issue I'm still at odds with though, is a "non-traditional" (traditional being 1 mother, 1 father) family adopting. But I feel like my hands are tied on the subject as I know any gay couple would give their child a better home than even the best foster home could.

I apologize I didn't catch your response until this evening. I appriciate your support for equal rights for everyone-and I agree you have made that clear in the past regarding your stance on marriage vs. civil unions: a stance I hold as identical as yours. I may not agree with your stance on adoption but I think we can agree to respectfuly disagree. I've known of some straight foster parents who should never have been given the responsiblity to care for kids just as I have known of some gay couples who should never have been allowed to adopt kids. I think it should be on a case by case decision because there are just too many kids out there that shouldn't be denied a home and loving family based on the adoptive parent's sexual orientation.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'll admit it's the language of the majority but in no way has it ever been inacted as the official language of the US. There only seems to be one clueless troll on HAIF that thinks it is.

BTW, "It's Raining Men" holds far more sway over "...Rainbow" :lol:

We will have to get a consensus on that whole "rainbow" vs. "raining men" debate.

You seem too influenced by your choice of religion to acknowledge that most of the government's problems come from too much involvement from Christianity. You can't even provide a valid counterpoint to debate without making reference to how the world will end without a Christian-based government.

Apparently you & you're fanatical Muslim counterparts have something in common when it comes to how to run the government.

Refrain from the use of bogus quotes. I didnt say what was quoted in your response. Im suprised at you. Thats the sort of stuff in which the resident rabid homosexual will engage in.

I never said the world would end without Christianity. Again, thats something that would be the norm from the resident rabid homosexual.

The Church may not be taxed, but the people that work in these churches are.

Several years ago I read a newspaper article which stated that the Reverend Ed Young's Memorial area house received tax-free status. Apparently Second Baptist retained legal title for several years, thus side-stepping the taxes. Anyone here enjoy that benefit?

I guess the good reverend didn't take that "render unto Caesar" advice from Jesus very seriously. In fact, I think Jesus would be kind of peeved.

I never understood atheism.

And i think the liberal left's phobia of religion has a direct connection with the so-called Middle Ages. Its interesting too see that you only seem to find the 'type' in Western nations.

Atheism is more common than you think. One of my best friends is an Atheist who grew up a practicing Muslim. He married a Jew who was also atheistic, go fig. lAre they liberals? Hardly they preached Limbaugh to me on a regular basis. So that disproves that it's strictly a left's disease.

While I'm not an Atheist I'm a firm Agnostic and I consider myself a moderate conservative.

The world isn't painted with a left or right brush on issues. You might do yourself a proper service and not paint everyone with the same coat of paint.

As far as god goes: The way the Christians, Jews, and Muslims are running the world, Satan save us.

I actually want a bumper sticker that says that. I don't believe in God but don't care what other people think or believe in.

As far as gays: I like women, when I see a fine looking woman it turns me on. I have no problem with gays. At first I was against gay marriage. I thought about it for a while and debated in my head, and really realized that there was no reason that they shouldn't be able to marry each other. I work with a person who is gay and he has become a good friend of mine.

As far as genetics: I think stem cell research is a good thing. I think we need more of it. I believe there is more potential in science saving lives then there is in worshiping some silly statue or ideal.

As far as airlines: I have never flown in an airplane so I cannot comment on that.

I probably come off as some liberal, commie, godless loony. But the funny thing is that I believe in the death penalty, I believe in the right to bear arms, I believe in lower taxes, and when Rudolph Giuliani is on the ballot for the presidency, I'm voting for him.

As far as gays: I like women, when I see a fine looking woman it turns me on. I have no problem with gays. At first I was against gay marriage. I thought about it for a while and debated in my head, and really realized that there was no reason that they shouldn't be able to marry each other. I work with a person who is gay and he has become a good friend of mine.

As far as airlines: I have never flown in an airplane so I cannot comment on that.

I probably come off as some liberal, commie, godless loony. But the funny thing is that I believe in the death penalty, I believe in the right to bear arms, I believe in lower taxes, and when Rudolph Giuliani is on the ballot for the presidency, I'm voting for him.

I'm not so much for religion sanctioned marriage; I'd just like to have a national civil union that affords my partner and I the same benefits that heterosexual couples have. I'm not asking for acceptance or approval-just for equal rights that raise me to the level of first class citizenship.

As far as genetics: I think stem cell research is a good thing. I think we need more of it. I believe there is more potential in science saving lives then there is in worshiping some silly statue or ideal.

I think any research is a good thing if it can combat cancers, diabities, HIV and etc. I have yet to decide that it should come from adults, discarded embryos or placentas. I do know that religious moralists object to using embryos for stem cells yet have no problem discarding them into the trash.

The death penalty? This may be the one issue I would come out looking more right wing than the left of center guy I am. If a person has committed such a hienious crime [Tim McVey?] do we really want to let him off the hook by killing him? Or do we want to keep him alive with limited or no contact with the outside world. Which is the more appropriate punishment for a man who parked his bomb-laden truck beside a daycare center at the base of a Federal building? It would be interesting to see if the Supreme Court ruled either punishment as cruel and unusual.

Several years ago I read a newspaper article which stated that the Reverend Ed Young's Memorial area house received tax-free status. Apparently Second Baptist retained legal title for several years, thus side-stepping the taxes. Anyone here enjoy that benefit?

I guess the good reverend didn't take that "render unto Caesar" advice from Jesus very seriously. In fact, I think Jesus would be kind of peeved.

I would like to know how he pulled that off, perhaps he was conducting bible study at his home ? Maybe his house is attached to church grounds ? Or, perhaps he paid off an elected official. I wonder if Mr. Olsteen's home is "tax-free" ? Perhaps Robert Arnold should do one of his hidden camera reports on the good Doctor Young ?

One question.

In your opinion, why is America's Christians more religious then their European counterparts? It would seem that they would be more secular afer having established 'freedom of religion'.

Also, why do Roman Catholics (incl. Latinos) tend to be the most religious of all Christians?

Lastly, out of curiosity, are any of you from the 'Born Again' Christians i hear about so much?

Thank You.

I'm a believer, but my personal and very private relationship with God is my business. I feel that there are many things that were done (and still are) in the name of religion that disturb me. And that goes for Christians, muslims, and Jews. Additionally, there were certain text that were basically voted out of the Bible (by people) ... so who knows exactly what the full story really is?

I would like to know how he pulled that off, perhaps he was conducting bible study at his home ? Maybe his house is attached to church grounds ? Or, perhaps he paid off an elected official. I wonder if Mr. Olsteen's home is "tax-free" ? Perhaps Robert Arnold should do one of his hidden camera reports on the good Doctor Young ?

Most likely he donated his house to the church as it's parsonage. That way its property of the church, therefore tax-exempt.

Most likely he donated his house to the church as it's parsonage. That way its property of the church, therefore tax-exempt.

TAH-DAH ! I think you hit the nail on the head. I think most Preachers and Reverends do the same, their houses are usually located just next door to the church though. I don't think that's the case for the good Doctor. He has really expanded lately also. good thing he has that helicopter to get him around town.

Archived