Moving to Houston

DuqDuke

I'm sure you get these threads all the time. I'm moving to Houston. The wife and I will both be working at the University of Houston. We're first-time buyers and are interested in townhomes "close" to the University. Something in the $200,000 range. Can anyone recommend neighborhoods (or properties) close to campus with townhomes in that range? If that doesn't exist, set me straight. I don't know too much about the Houston market.

Edited by DuqDuke

I'm sure you get these threads all the time. I'm moving to Houston. The wife and I will both be working at the University of Houston. We're first-time buyers and are interested in townhomes "close" to the University. Something in the $200,000 range. Can anyone recommend neighborhoods (or properties) close to campus with townhomes in that range?

There is a lot of new construction along the Elgin corridor. This runs right into U of H. There won't be much in the 200K range, unless your talking high 200/K. There are some Perry TH's that are sub 200K. They are a little small, I think around 1100 SF. Besides this forum HAR.com will be a good resource for you. Just have it search for TH's in your price range and in the zip you are interested in.

There are little to no townhomes directly surrounding U of H. Your best bet will probably be around Baldwin Park in Midtown across 288, but like west20th said, they will not be in the low 200's, but it still does not hurt to check. Directly northwest of the campus aint too pretty and the southside of the campus are modest size two story homes and cottage bungalows built in the 30's and 40's in University Oaks. Extremely charming neighborhood with even some students leasing but I do not remember too much of anything being in the low 200's either.

Edited by WesternGulf

i know some of the newer units near the park flooded at least once. An ex coworker got flooded there but has subsequently moved. Some other friends have lived on Crawford for several years and have mentioned on numerous occasions that having a fence around your place helps but doesn't prevent the street thievery that occurs in the area. they mentioned two instances of people going over the town home 6' fence and taking plants that weigh quite a bit (~80-100 lbs).

Thanks to both of you. We really like this one...

http://www.har.com/7208564

...but don't know much about the area. It does seem close to the University, but freeway noise might get old.

That looks like a great choice. I've never seen this development in person, but based on the photos of this and other units, it looks nice. It's a converted historical building which is a big plus for me and the location, next to baldwin park, is great. As long as you are accustomed to living in an urban environment and you use common sense, the neighborhood shouldn't be cause for concern. One point to keep in mind however, is that it is a condo and not a townhouse. As a result there is a maintenance fee that you will have to contend with, which will in all likelihood cost you $200 per month, give or take.

That's the Paramount Lofts place. Really cool rehab. Had some friends that owned in there about two years ago. They LOVED it but then got shipped to Sydney for work. It has a great "Melrose Place" type of feel. It would take you five minutes to get to UH by car from there with ZERO traffic. Just shoot straight down Elgin.

Welcome to Houston and GO COOGS!

I'm sure you get these threads all the time. I'm moving to Houston. The wife and I will both be working at the University of Houston. We're first-time buyers and are interested in townhomes "close" to the University. Something in the $200,000 range. Can anyone recommend neighborhoods (or properties) close to campus with townhomes in that range? If that doesn't exist, set me straight. I don't know too much about the Houston market.

Be sure to look in the 77003 and 77023 zip codes. Each of these has a variety of single-family and townhomes that I think you might like. In 77003, you can get townhomes up to about 2,000sf for about $200k, with a fair bit of variety in the price depending on the level of finish. Parts of 77023 are still in transition, but any single family home in or immediately around Eastwood should be safe and a good investment. Rehabbed homes should be within in your price range, too.

These locations provide very easy access to UH via Scott, Cullen, and Lockwood (which curves and becomes Elgin), but they aren't subject to a lot of freeway noise. Just be sure to check out where the nearest railroad tracks are...they can be pretty loud if you're too close by.

The Paramount property is *nice* inside. However, some things to keep in mind: the maint. fee on the Paramount Lofts property is $350/month. It includes maintenance of the gate, grounds, and outside of bldg but no additional perks. With an escrow acct and Houston taxes that could work out to about a $2000/mo payment. Also: second "bedroom" is very small (more like a study) + parking is just covered parking (no garage).

Edited by mattytx00

There are also townhomes west of Almeda in the Third Ward/Museum District area but the typical asking price to start is more around $230,000 for one and two bedroom townhomes the last time I checked around.

yeah, those are the ones ruining the neighborhood...please don't buy into those :blush::ph34r:

the paramount seems great - just factor in the monthly fee, and put down a whole lotta $ on it

yeah, those are the ones ruining the neighborhood...please don't buy into those :blush::ph34r:

the paramount seems great - just factor in the monthly fee, and put down a whole lotta $ on it

I live across the street from the Paramount. I know a woman who lives at the Paramount, she seems to like it, although she lives alone so the relatively small size would be less of an issue. I have no complaints, although personally I would buy a house in the 77023 area, for the reason that I think you would see more price appreciation.

My neighbors in the end unit complain that they can hear the freeway noise, stadium noise inside their townhouse, the only noise I hear inside is an occasional faint train noise. I am a jogger, I have no qualms about jogging in the area at night, however I have talked to a woman who jogs and she complains that she does not feel safe, especially jogging when it is dark.

like a previous post said, it is urban living.......