Concrete Driveway

Guest Marty
Speaking of driveway, how does one get rid of motoroil(dripping from vehicle) that has been sitting for over a couple of years. Water pressurizer? Other ideas? Thanks.

My mother's old Mercury Marque leak oil for about 2 -3 week's on the driveway i had great success with a product called " SEAL KRETE OSR'' aka oil stain remover it takes about a day or two for the product to sponge it out you may have to repeat the process a couple of times.

Speaking of driveway, how does one get rid of motoroil(dripping from vehicle) that has been sitting for over a couple of years. Water pressurizer? Other ideas? Thanks.

I was told and read later, that if you can get your hands on acid (not LSD) and spread out over the whole area, let it eat away, then pressure spray. Results are fantastic!

I would think you would have to be extremely careful! I think you can buy at hardware or auto stores?

Hopefully the salesperson's name isn't Timothy Leary. :P

Pulverize kitty litter into the stain with a brick and let it sit for a day or two. This may require several treatments and a little WD-40 beforehand should help. Lots of WD-40 could make the problem worse - go sparingly and spot treat a small area first.

On the topic of driveways and drainage, I have a slightly different problem. Water pools at the base of the driveway, where the curb cuts are. It is basically a City of Houston problem, I think, but what do I need to do to get them to correct it so that the water drains into a storm sewer?

Well, if it's anything like what happens on our block after a good rain, the city won't do anything about it :angry2:

We get a puddle that can grow at least 6 feet wide. It seems that the street bulges up a bit before the storm grate near the corner, and this allows the formation of the inland lake in front of three houses, though the worst is right in front of our driveway.

My neighbor told me that the previous owners of our house contacted the city, who declared that they could fix the problem, for the low price of $225,000. Otherwise, since the water level will never get high enough to flood the yards (eventually the lake gets big enough to crest that bulge and drain into the storm sewer) it's not the city's problem.

So we have a lovely mosquito breeding pond/stinking mud pit outside our front door for at least 3 days after every hard rain. Really adds to the ambience of the neighborhood.

Well, if it's anything like what happens on our block after a good rain, the city won't do anything about it :angry2:

ditto, mine spans the width of the driveway. the upstream neighbor goes out there occasionally to remove debris which partially blocks flow, but in actuality, the puddle remains until the water evaporates. the birds like it though.

We get a puddle that can grow at least 6 feet wide. It seems that the street bulges up a bit before the storm grate near the corner, and this allows the formation of the inland lake in front of three houses, though the worst is right in front of our driveway.

My neighbor told me that the previous owners of our house contacted the city, who declared that they could fix the problem, for the low price of $225,000. Otherwise, since the water level will never get high enough to flood the yards (eventually the lake gets big enough to crest that bulge and drain into the storm sewer) it's not the city's problem.

So we have a lovely mosquito breeding pond/stinking mud pit outside our front door for at least 3 days after every hard rain. Really adds to the ambience of the neighborhood.

Wow. Mine is bad, but I haven't seen it six feet across and I haven't seen sheet flow across the street, much less into the yard. Still, it is by far the worst on my street, and like you said, it is a mosquito trap.

Guest danax
On the topic of driveways and drainage, I have a slightly different problem. Water pools at the base of the driveway, where the curb cuts are. It is basically a City of Houston problem, I think, but what do I need to do to get them to correct it so that the water drains into a storm sewer?

I'm not trying to suggest anything but there was a large pothole across the street from me and I'd seen a motorcyclist go down because of it (true). I called 311 and it was fixed the next day. B)

Or do like my next door ( we don't need no stinking permit) neighbor did; mix a bag of concrete in a wheelbarrow and fill it.

You are correct on all points. I too have tried everything under the sun to no avail. The city never finished placing curbs or culverts all along a stretch of our street. Rain worsens all mud, standing water, culex mosquitoes have been reported here too. I would go on but I get tired and others perceive as whining. Best of luck. :huh:

ditto, mine spans the width of the driveway. the upstream neighbor goes out there occasionally to remove debris which partially blocks flow, but in actuality, the puddle remains until the water evaporates. the birds like it though.

I'll bet Mrs Cravitz has a fit too as she peeks out here blinds. "Abner! there are birds in the water puddle again!" :lol:

Archived