Old Restaurants still around in Houston with great food

Marini's Empanadas is now located on Hillcroft at the Shopping Center at Richmond on the Robert E. Lee High School side. (1970's originally located on Westheimer near the curve)

Barbeque Inn is located at Cross Timbers, Great Food and Waitresses BBQ, Steaks, Seafood, Homestyle cooking (Original location 1950's)

Antone's (the Original Antone's) Originally a Middle Eastern grocery store, now just the famous sandwiches and some imported items to buy. Eat only at the ones that say Original.

Otto's BBQ (The original) on Memorial Drive near the Biba's Pizza Place

Biba's Pizza mon Memorial drive (the family that brought you the original One's A Meal Restaurants from the 1950's)

Others to follow at a later time.

Clyde

Which is the 'original' Antones? We have one out here on 1960 (eek, the horror!) but somehow I seriously doubt it is the original one.

In the case of Antone's, "original" usually doesn't refer to the original location, which was on Taft but is sadly gone. From memory, the family had a major disagreement among its members after the death of the matriarch of the Antone's clan, which resulted in an acrimonious split between two factions and two different groups of delis, each bearing the Antone's name but only one group keeping the original menu, deli "style", and the distinctive Antone's script logo that adorned the paper wrappings of their sandwiches. As best I can remember, the only "original" Antone's delis left are the one on Dunstan in the Rice Village, and the one that used to be in a parking lot on Kirby near South Main - the latter one apparently had to move across Kirby to a new location on the end of a strip center because the landlord raised the rent in their previous location; the new location isn't exactly easy to see, and I stumbled across it by chance while looking for the previous location one day last week after attending the auto show.

I can't seem to find a picture of the original Antone's logo anywhere, but the "A" is different than the one used in the newer delis. The menu is also quite different, and the newer ones aren't filled with shelves of imported foods the way the original ones are. Look for the paper-wrapped sandwiches in the cooler labeled Super, Original, Roast Beef, Turkey, and Smoked Turkey - if you see those with "The Original Antone's Po-Boy" printed on the paper, you're in the right place.

Edited by mkultra25

I went to the one on Kirby about a year ago when visiting my mother. Looks like it used to be a fast-food restaurant or something there in the parking lot of Fiesta. You mean they've moved?

Wow.

They moved directly across Kirby...in the shopping center at the corner of Kirby and OST. They're on the Kirby side...a Toys R Us faces the OST side. Same shopping center as the "New Orleans Cajun Kitchen".

I was in there a couple weeks ago...doesn't look like their imported foods selection is nearly as big as it used to be.

What I'm really disheartened over is the closing of Droubi's, just a block further up Kirby. They are sorely missed.

Anyhow...just down OST, near Yellowstone, is a long-time eating spot: Guy's Meat Market. Can't call it a restaurant, but they've been selling BBQ at that location since 1958. The original Guy's Market opened in 1938 on Almeda. I like to stop in for a BBQ sandwich on the weekends (I'm never around during the week to get their incredible smoked hamburgers), and they're always my last stop on Saturday afternoons before tailgating at UH.

Edited by Original Timmy Chan's

Which is the 'original' Antones? We have one out here on 1960 (eek, the horror!) but somehow I seriously doubt it is the original one.

That is one of the originals - it has been around since at least the mid-1980's (used to be across the street) - but I think it is independent of the other Original Antone's. I also notice that they have changed a letter or two of their name - now it is Anthony's I think, though with the same script. Must be a legal thing.