Houston's Image & Perception

C2H

In my experience, most people I meet in other parts of the country don't have either a good or bad image of Houston... they simply don't have an image of Houston. There is very little that they associate with it, except maybe "Houston, we have a problem," or if they're a sports fan they might be familiar with one of our teams.

What they do have an image of is Texas, and they know Houston is in Texas, so we get assigned all their ideas about Texas. This city will have to develop a very strong, unique identity if it is ever to step out of the Texas shadow.

In general, I think Houston's image has improved but it is what it is. Housing is cheap, infrastructure is awesome, food is great, access to good schools/universities, diversity is also a selling point, etc. However, it is flat, hot, humid, and spread out all over the place and I think that is the key. When one thinks of Houston, they likely don't think of downtown, or the galleria, etc. It's hard to put your finger on it.

It is generally not that appealing unless you have pragmatic concerns or reasons for moving here.

In the 1970s much of the nation had an extremely poor image of Houston. It was known for having a corrupt and vicious police department, toxic air and water, an astronomical murder rate, and overbearing attitudes. Reports of Houston vehicles sporting "Let them freeze in the dark" bumper stickers during the energy crises of the 70's did little to endear the city to the rest of the nation.

People have long memories. It takes time for cities to overcome the negative perceptions formed over the years (ask anyone from Pittsburgh or Cleveland).

We've made great strides in the past quarter of a century, but it might take a while before the rest of the world is persuaded.

In the 1970s much of the nation had an extremely poor image of Houston. It was known for having a corrupt and vicious police department, toxic air and water, an astronomical murder rate, and overbearing attitudes. Reports of Houston vehicles sporting "Let them freeze in the dark" bumper stickers during the energy crises of the 70's did little to endear the city to the rest of the nation.

People have long memories. It takes time for cities to overcome the negative perceptions formed over the years (ask anyone from Pittsburgh or Cleveland).

We've made great strides in the past quarter of a century, but it might take a while before the rest of the world is persuaded.

Yeah, Houston's reputation is so much better today. We are known for having a vicious and corrupt police department, toxic air and water, an astronomical murder rate, and overbearing attitudes.

At least everyone finally forgot about the bumper stickers. :blush:

Yeah, Houston's reputation is so much better today. We are known for having a vicious and corrupt police department, toxic air and water, an astronomical murder rate, and overbearing attitudes.

At least everyone finally forgot about the bumper stickers. :blush:

you forgot the women wear diapers.

In my experience, most people I meet in other parts of the country don't have either a good or bad image of Houston... they simply don't have an image of Houston. There is very little that they associate with it, except maybe "Houston, we have a problem," or if they're a sports fan they might be familiar with one of our teams.

What they do have an image of is Texas, and they know Houston is in Texas, so we get assigned all their ideas about Texas. This city will have to develop a very strong, unique identity if it is ever to step out of the Texas shadow.

Be an outsider who became a Houstonian just eight years ago, I agree with this completely. The simple fact of the matter is that outside of some rather interesting people who are feeling themselves way too much (and are prone to BS) the average person has no clue about this city or pretty much any other city that isn't Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago or New York. That's just how it is.

Archived