Where To Live iI Houston?

Can any of you suggest an area of Houston to live that has a quiet suburban feel, while not being too far away from the action of Uptown, Downtown, etc. I'm not planning on moving right now, but would just like to get your opinions or suggestions. An area I've been looking into is the Greenspoint area, is this a good area? Please help me out. :huh:

Can any of you suggest an area of Houston to live that has a quiet suburban feel, while not being too far away from the action of Uptown, Downtown, etc. I'm not planning on moving right now, but would just like to get your opinions or suggestions. An area I've been looking into is the Greenspoint area, is this a good area? Please help me out. :huh:

I wouldn't consider Greenspoint to be either suburban or quiet. It has even been known in the past to be sliding down (to put it politely), though I think it may be slowly coming back. If you're looking for a place to raise a family in a middle to upper middle class area close to Uptown and Downtown, I'd have to suggest Sugar Land or Pearland. You could also try the area between Richmond and Memorial and between the Beltway and Hwy 6.

There are many other nice suburban areas but I wouldn't consider them close to the areas you mentioned.

I'd have to suggest Sugar Land or Pearland.

Excellent suggestion...as far as Greenspoint is concerned they can beautify the mall area all they want but the bad element is too well saturated around it.

Pearland is booming too but it is the proximity that makes it choice. One straight drive to and from downtown, nice.

depends on what you're looking for as far as amenities, drive, etc.

you might consider east end or museum district - definitely not suburban (these days), but good proximity to downtown, and areas have a "homey" feel

Well, for me, to far away means more than 15 minutes. With this in mind, it sounds like you might like the heights.

I think some of us are missing the part of the request that mentioned "suburban." I would think the Heights and Museum District would be too urban and The Woodlands too far.

you can get a sort of "quiet suburban feel" like the poster mentioned in certain areas in town. of course i don't have any truly suburban experiences to speak of, so my gauge may be a little different

I think some of us are missing the part of the request that mentioned "suburban." I would think the Heights and Museum District would be too urban and The Woodlands too far.

The Museum District is clearly an Urban neighborhood. As for the Heights, I think you are partially correct in that the Heights isn't really Suburban. However, I can't imagine someone finding the Heights to be too urban. If anything, I think it feels like prototypical small town America.

Another to consider is Spring Shadows in West Houston, a suburban type community that's actually closer to Uptown than is Greenspoint and about equi-distant to downtown. Still a solid subdivision with pretty good amenities (although, the area closest to the Gessner/Hammerly intersection has a bit of a ghettofabulous feel to it).

I'm assuming that you're looking for something that's nice and clean but not too pricey. There are several other very good neighborhoods in the city proper but you'll pay a little more or a little less depending on particular tastes.

I also like Glenbrook Valley more or less, although the apartment complexes along Broadway, especially north of Rock Hill, suck.

[if anything, I think it feels like prototypical small town America.

That it does.

I used to work on 19th & Lawrence and got to know many of the long time residents and can strongly say that Heights is the last of the "good old days feeling of Houston". May sound weird to some but it really is like the days when you got to feel comfortable around your neighbors. There was that certain trust. You can still find kids playing, folks attending mass, small mom/pop shopping, little antique stores, long-time eateries, etc. Not to mention its historical significance. Love it.

Paid4,

Yes I do currently live in the Rio Grande Valley, more specifically McAllen.

i was born in Raymondville....raised in houston, now i live in spring, near the woodlands....this part of town is about 30-45 mins away from uptown.....

You might want to look into the west side. I mean areas south of I-10 by roads like Eldridge and Dairy Ashford. There's lots of suburbs out there and you'll find a lot of action out there as well, in spite of what some people may tell you (that all the action is inside the loop). If you live on the west side and want to go downtown it's about a half hour away on the freeway unless there's a lot of traffic.

[if anything, I think it feels like prototypical small town America.

That it does.

I used to work on 19th & Lawrence and got to know many of the long time residents and can strongly say that Heights is the last of the "good old days feeling of Houston". May sound weird to some but it really is like the days when you got to feel comfortable around your neighbors. There was that certain trust. You can still find kids playing, folks attending mass, small mom/pop shopping, little antique stores, long-time eateries, etc. Not to mention mention its historical significance. Love it.

I miss that sh...errr...stuff.

:sigh:

The Spring, Klein, Woodlands area is the best in my opinion. There are several new and developed subdivisions with a wide variety and styles of homes to choose from. In this area of Houston you will get a nice, comfortable suburban feel. If you have kids I strongly recommend the Klein ISD. It is was rated by Expansion Management Magazine as being in the top 17% of school districts in the country. If you dont choose Klein ISD , then choose Conroe ISD in the Woodland Area. These 3 areas are sort of combined together in north Houston. There's lots of things to do here. This area is about 30-40 minutes from downtown Houston. I think it's certainly the best out here.

Didn't he say he didn't want to be far away from Downtown? How could you recommend Klein in that situation. Klein I.S.D. is a good school district, though, but not the best in the Houston area. If you don't want to be too far away, try the Spring Branch area. Many tall pines and not as expensive as the Enclave Cities south of IH-10. It is also not far away from Uptown, though Downtown is a little more ways out (a few more minutes away than Uptown).

Didn't he say he didn't want to be far away from Downtown? How could you recommend Klein in that situation. Klein I.S.D. is a good school district, though, but not the best in the Houston area. If you don't want to be too far away, try the Spring Branch area. Many tall pines and not as expensive as the Enclave Cities south of IH-10. It is also not far away from Uptown, though Downtown is a little more ways out (a few more minutes away than Uptown).

He also said he originally was looking at the Greenspoint area. That's not exactly 2 seconds to downtown either. What is the best school district in Houston then? I was'nt saying Klein was the best in the city, I was just referring that is is great.

Close to the action downtown? Dont they still roll up the streets down there at 5pm when the offices close?

Yes, Downtown closes at 5 pm and everyone heads to the Woodlands and Klien ISD for their world-class theater, dining, and nightlife.

Although I cannot provide current info on Houston neighborhoods, I want to keep up to date myself.

Houston is such a huge area, I think you need to refine your search a little to get more useful responses.

For example, when you say: "not being too far away from the action of Uptown, Downtown, etc.", you probably need to specify if you want to be 5 minutes away, 20 minutes away, or further - the results will vary. Also, "quiet suburban feel" can mean a lot of different things to different people.

There is so much variety in Houston - a little more specification about your desires will help you find a neighborhood that fits your tastes.

Why not the TC Jester area?

Im talking about NW Houston, right off of North-610. Right across from the Heights. Has a 'suburban' feel while being 3 mins from Galleria and 15 mins from Downtown.

Yeah, that's what popped into my mind right off the bat. Westbury, Meyerland, and some of the other close-in southwestern suburbs may also fit the bill, though I'd check crime stats and flood maps before buying, regardless of the final set of options.

Btw, congrats on your impending escape from McAllen, RGV. I made the trip as soon as I was able, even before graduating from high school, took my last final exam from a computer terminal in Bellaire, and then played hookey for the graduation ceremony. Houston was where I wanted to be, and I don't regret the decision for a second. It took them another many years to come around to my way of thinking, but my parents are soon to follow.

I'd consider Lazybrook. It's a great neighborhood that's held its value well. It's located just inside the 610 loop on the northwest corner. If you exit the north loop at T.C. Jester and head inside the loop, you'll see the neighorhood. You can also see it from 18th street just inside the loop going toward Ella Blvd. It's close to a mall (the northwest mall), literally 3 minutes away. Galleria is about 10 minutes and downtown about 10-15 minutes. It doesn't have a suburban feel, but you get the space of a suburban neighborhood with big yards and a nice sized driveway. Most of the people are older, like between 60-90, but some young couples who like living in the city. Also, it would make a good investment, as property values inside the loop are more likely to go up now than they have been in the recent past.

Meyerland is nice. Westbury's becoming less disireable according to my boss who's lived there since 1988. Personally, I live in Missouri City. With the advent of the new toll spur linking my subdivision up to the beltway it's not bad at all. My wife used to work downtown and it would take her about 45 minutes in rush hourpre-spur, not sure what it would be now. And you can get used or new homes (your choice, they're building like mad) for a wide-range of prices.

Meyerland is nice. Westbury's becoming less disireable according to my boss who's lived there since 1988. Personally, I live in Missouri City. With the advent of the new toll spur linking my subdivision up to the beltway it's not bad at all. My wife used to work downtown and it would take her about 45 minutes in rush hourpre-spur, not sure what it would be now. And you can get used or new homes (your choice, they're building like mad) for a wide-range of prices.

I would have to disagree with your boss about Westbury. Prices keep going up and a lot of the houses have getting renovated in there. It continues to improve.

What do you do? Get on 45? 249 never seemed like a city-center-type route.

Its a route that gets you to 45 closer towards the city center much faster than it would take to get there from 45/ FM 1960. You by pass all of the traffic on FM 1960 and the mix of traffic from points north of FM 1960 heading south bound.

Archived