Where To Live iI Houston?

The biggest problem with Champions/Willowbrook is that the traffic is miserable pretty much 15 hours out of the day, seven days a week, although everything you need is pretty much there.

Anyway, to join in on the SW 'hoods discussion... there's also Willowbend (solid subdivision just east of Meyerland) and Maplewood (just west of Meyerland). I haven't been in the Westbury subdivision in some years so I can't say what condition is in but at last check, it was at least an average mod subdivision.

Thanks guys for all your help. I haven't considered Champion, but it seems to have what I want. I really don't want anything more than 25 minutes from downtown.

Niche, which high school did you go to in McAllen. I attended McAllen High School "The Bulldogs". Now I am a student at UTPA wanting to transfer to UH to major in architecture.

Champion is a good area to consider when I get settled in Houston. But what about temperary homes near

UH-Main campus when I do transfer here? What are some areas you recommend. :)

Thanks guys for all your help. I haven't considered Champion, but it seems to have what I want. I really don't want anything more than 25 minutes from downtown.

Niche, which high school did you go to in McAllen. I attended McAllen High School "The Bulldogs". Now I am a student at UTPA wanting to transfer to UH to major in architecture.

Champion is a good area to consider when I get settled in Houston. But what about temperary homes near

2nd Ward, across the Gulf Freeway from UH, used to be filled with UH students when I was there. Lots of great homes there, some duplex and fourplex apartments mixed in. Good area, very convenient. If it makes any difference to you, it's a majority Hispanic neighborhood.

You could look at University Oaks, right across Wheeler Street from campus. There used to be a number of folks in garage apartments behind the homes in that neighborhood.

You can also look in 3rd Ward, across Scott Street from campus, and stretching across SH 288 towards the Museum District. Again, if it makes any difference to you, it's a majority black neighborhood. However, the west side of 288 is getting more diverse.

A little further away, but still within 10 minutes of campus, is the Medical Center. Lots of med students and UH students in apartments out there. Kind of bland area, in my opinion, but very convenient. It's a pretty diverse mix of all races in the Med Center.

You can also try the Midtown and Montrose areas. When I was in school, a lot of folks lived in apartments and duplexes in the Montrose area, but students may be priced out. Montrose is known as a "counterculture" part of town and it's the center of the gay community in Houston. Great mix of people in that area as well.

Champions is nice. We have everything you need here pretty much. I have lived here for 10 yrs and it has been a good buy. Bought our home brand new and the propertyvalue has done nothing but rise ever since.

When you come up, take a drive through the area. The hustle and bustle of FM 1960 quickly disappears once you head not even a quarter of a mile north on the main avenues. The bustle of city living is immediately lost and the suburban feel begins with homes located on cul de sacs with manicured lawns, tall trees and peace and queit. I think you will love it here :) The noise associated with the major avenues here is shielded from the residents by a combination of walls and trees. Very well put together community of neighborhoods.

I think that Timmy Chan summed up UH's student housing situation pretty well for those that don't live with family members and commute in from the suburbs. I, myself, still live in a condo near the Texas Medical Center and just down the street from the Astrodome. Yes, the area is aesthetically bland, but it is extremely well-located for the price and doesn't have a lot of crime problems associated with the areas immediately around UH or even in Montrose.

Champions is a nice area to raise a family, but if you had a class schedule where you had to commute in during one of our many rush hours, it could get really annoying. And with a lot of the new development and the impending reconstruction of US 290, the traffic is only going to get worse before it gets better.

Same as you, McAllen High School.

Btw, I took a couple of architecture classes at UH as electives. At one point, I thought that I might turn it into a minor, but decided against it. The UH architecture school is set up more like an art school, whereas I was more interested in the professional aspects, like are focused on at A&M. That's just what motivated me, though, so take it with a grain of salt. UH's program works well for a lot of people, especially if you pair it with a BBA or MBA.

I have to agree that Champions Forest Drive north of FM 1960 and up to Louetta is a nice stroll--that is, outside of the constant stop signs. The trees have matured and the subdivisions have endured quite nicely.

Champion Forest Dr is a nighmare. Way too many ridiculous stop signs :(

If you're looking for 25 minutes or less from downtown, Champions/Klein/Spring won't make you happy. While it's a great area, it's just too far out and too far from updated freeways. I'd give it a minimum of 40 minutes to UH main campus with average traffic.

Like you said, I might consider it once you're ready to settle down.

• The title was changed to Where To Live iI Houston?

Archived