Personal savings drop in 2006

musicman

I'm guilty of not saving.... atleast since last summer. I figure it would be nice to have 'nice' things while I'm young. I don't want to have kids, can't get married. Might as well live it up while I'm still immature. Soak it all up before my brain is fully developed. I don't plan on living past 45, and seeking some kind of virtue in clubs, playing sports, Traveling, material items & luxuries will fade out as I get older.

Don't worry, I'm not 100% shallow. I'll always have my passion for the english language, photography, art, & architecture.

So instead of saving now so I can have money later, I'd rather have my money now and just save up later.

spoken like a true American. i can almost hear the star spangled banner playing in the background.

I'm guilty of not saving.... atleast since last summer. I figure it would be nice to have 'nice' things while I'm young. I don't want to have kids, can't get married. Might as well live it up while I'm still immature. Soak it all up before my brain is fully developed. I don't plan on living past 45, and seeking some kind of virtue in clubs, playing sports, Traveling, material items & luxuries will fade out as I get older.

Don't worry, I'm not 100% shallow. I'll always have my passion for the english language, photography, art, & architecture.

So instead of saving now so I can have money later, I'd rather have my money now and just save up later.

You're not serious are you? I mean, that was written tongue-in-cheek right?

Seems like the facts (at least government facts) are in and we are STILL spending more than we earn. In fact it stands to reason that none of us are putting enough money aside not just for the future, but not enough either for a rainy day.

I could be doing better, but actually not doing as bad as some stories I hear. Try to put at least 10 - 15 percent aside into my company's 401 and save another 10 percent into a high yield saving each payday.

How are you doing?

I want to tell my fellow HAIFers that bro is doing OK. His head is screwed on straight. Like myself, he is focused on the long term.

It seems many on HAIF are clueless when it comes to long-term planning. You have to save to secure your retirement. Imagine your life after the age of 70.

Are you counting on your kids to help you out? Maybe they will-maybe you don't have kids. My parents were lucky enough to have 4 kids that made sure they were cared for until they died. Our reward is the love and education they gave us. The principles they instilled have served us well.

Those principles also afforded them a dignified end-life we are all proud of.

I say spend spend spend--live live live.

Spending is fine as long as you can differentiate between a need and a want. I know i blow money sometimes (HDTV purchase) but in general I am a saver. I was able to not work for more than a yr and was still living a comfortable life. many of my friends were shocked that i could do it without borrowing money, etc. for me it's more of a shock if you couldn't do it. I think everyone should have at least 6 months living expenses at their disposal for use in an emergency.