KHOU local news in HD

musicman

The ABC station here in Chicago has been doing the local news in HD since the beginning of the year. It's not exactly been a smooth transition. There are little glitches and gotchas all over the place. Sometimes the HD output from the switcher will get sent to the wrong line and people watching on regular TVs get the picture all squished for a few minutes until someone notices. Half the graphics the art department makes are useless and off the sides of a regular TV because they just don't understand how to make it work both ways (don't get me started about re-training artists!).

It's worse if you're watching on an HD set. Instead of having a separate HD bug in the lower right-hand corner on the HD feed, it's the same bug from the SD transmission. So, you end up with a bug that looks like it's in the middle of the screen. Because it's still a hodge-podge of SD and HD video sources (it's not like you can magically turn 40,000 hours of SD file footage into HD) you can be watching a story and as the video sources change the blue bars pop on and off the screen to fill the blank space left over from using SD tape.

I expect the entire industry will be bumpy like this for a long time. Very little news gathering is actually done in HD because the cameas are expensive. A stripped-down professional HD field camera is $80,000. Once you get it properly equiped with the necessary accessories, you're looking at $100,000. A station in Houston has probably 15 field cameras, so you're looking at $1.5 million just for those, and they're only the tip of the HD iceberg.

The best part of HD local news is that you get to see just how ugly the anchors really are. YOU. CAN. SEE. EVERY. THING. Those stations that have gone HD local and that didn't already have makeup artists on staff (KHOU didn't as of about a year ago) are hiring makeup artists and consultants to show them how to use good old-fasioned air brushes to put it on. Sometimes it looks good. Sometimes it looks really thick like they're wearing a rubber mask. Very distracting.

News anchors across the country have been fudging their Huggies over this for the last five years, and it's finally here. It's about the only thing that makes me want to get an HD set.

It's worse if you're watching on an HD set. Instead of having a separate HD bug in the lower right-hand corner on the HD feed, it's the same bug from the SD transmission. So, you end up with a bug that looks like it's in the middle of the screen. Because it's still a hodge-podge of SD and HD video sources (it's not like you can magically turn 40,000 hours of SD file footage into HD) you can be watching a story and as the video sources change the blue bars pop on and off the screen to fill the blank space left over from using SD tape.

Yes i did notice how the graphics are still based on the SD dimensions with just fluff added at the edges. I still think CH11 is using quite a bit of SD because the pictures looked stretched and/or are still unclear

The best part of HD local news is that you get to see just how ugly the anchors really are. YOU. CAN. SEE. EVERY. THING. Those stations that have gone HD local and that didn't already have makeup artists on staff (KHOU didn't as of about a year ago) are hiring makeup artists and consultants to show them how to use good old-fasioned air brushes to put it on. Sometimes it looks good. Sometimes it looks really thick like they're wearing a rubber mask. Very distracting.

Hence the Lisa Foronda resignation? LOL

I believe channel 13 has a live HD helicopter traffic report. I don't really see the need to advertise an HD traffic report, but whatever...

Yeah they do have HD Helicopters, now they need to upgrade to HD Studio Cameras and redo their set.

I watch a football game once on a HD TV. You could see the dirt and dust coming from there feet. I wonder if the snow and rain would show up good on a HD TV

Yes it does, especially the when there are beads of water on the helmets. And HD isn't pointless from a scientific perspective. The bandwidth movement was necessary. The move from eye straining resolutions to resolutions closer to what the human eye can perceive, and yes it is truly enjoyable compared to regular tv. I didn't know what I was missing until I jumped in.