Houston (architecture Info) Forum Sprawl

HoustoniaNYC

Density folks! If we're going to preach it, let's start here! This site could almost be concentrated to 3 geographical forums: Inner Loop, Suburbs, Exurbs. Cities are diverse with everything interconnected in even the strangest ways. This site has everything too catergorized. Why shouldn't a thread on the Shamrock be right next to a Houston MOD thread right next to a Light Rail Thread. It's the way in real life.

Just my $.02

Thanks for the comments and welcome to the forum.

Point taken about the number of topic areas, but it's really just developed that way over time. There's probably no way to get it "right" and please everyone. If anything I would rather err on the side of having too many categories. It makes it easier to follow, and a lot of members like to focus only on specific areas of interest. Having too many loosely-related theads tossed into one category could be tiresome to wade through. You are certainly correct that unrelated things are juxtaposed in real life, but this is after all a message board, and there's something to be said for clarity.

Welcome to HAIF, H-NYC

Part of the reason for some categories having few posts is that HAIF suffered a complete meltdown four months ago. Much information was lost, and while we've made a lot of progress, it takes time.

No matter how many (or few) categories are established, there will always be some subjects which will overlap (e.g., how exurbs impact downtown development). We strive to create some sense of order without being overly restrictive. Since threads can go off on tangents, occasionally moderators (or members) will ask that people stay 'on topic'.

Thanks for your imput - if there's any way in which we can make HAIF more informative or enjoyable, we welcome suggestions.

I don't agree with the "sprawl" and "Density" comments.

You should have been here earlier this year, you would have seen how dense some of the members were. :)

Dbigtex had a very good point in regards to the topics and the meltdown. Earlier this year, this place was really jumping with a wide variety of topics. Some of the topics would be revived when new blood would find something they agreed (or not) on a particular post.

Ricco

Hey thanks y'all for the warm welcome. This site is a fantastic resource. I had no idea that this forum was older than it appears. I was just giving a suggestion to what seemed a young site. I'm looking forward to building this thing up again.