Moving to Houston, thinking about buying one of these. What do u think?

http://www.urbanliving.com/developments_de...development=232

How is that area? I'm moving to houston this summer! thoughts?? its a techsun builder.

Thanks

Lots of money for an urban unit. I know where Taft is - not sure about that other street.

If I had THAT much money, I would buy a house on the water somewhere.

That is Montrose area and looks like a really nice place. Heights is also good for Downtown. I think buying in Midtown is still somewhat of a gamble -- albeit one that might pay off well. Montrose is more solid.

That said, this listing seems $30K-50K overpriced. I think you should look around a bit.

Welcome Nashville. I like your choice as far as style and location and I know nothing of the builder but, as dal said, it seems high, but I am not up on prices around there. That style is becoming very popular and available so you might want to rent and choose more slowly. Can't hurt.

Thanks guys, i spent my last summer in houston (albeit for 6 weeks) and loved it. Yeah it does seem a little $$$ for the amount of square footage...but i am going to wait to see what the finishes will be. I expect that there will be nice ones considering the price, and if that is the case, i would be okay with the price.

does anyone know offhand what side of taft they're on?

i know the cross street is w. saulnier, but all i can envision is the east side (school/field/something like that) and the west side (duplexes, older homes - the ones being eaten up by these overpriced townhomes).

You are aware that property taxes are rather high here, right? You'd have a $~1k/month property tax bill on that $400k house.

ooh, good point

a newer home near taft and w saulnier valued around 400k was getting near 10k in taxes last year

Lots of money for an urban unit. I know where Taft is - not sure about that other street.

If I had THAT much money, I would buy a house on the water somewhere.

What do you mean lots of money for an Urban unit? If you mean Urban as the builder I think they are just the Realtor?

Anyway, I built a home in that area at W Pierce and Taft a few years ago. I sold it last year for $320,000. It was very nice but no views of dowtown really. I had a tough time selling it for $320K as well, it must have took 8 months? If the houses you are interested in lose the view and if the finishes are not top end (not the crap that is sold through Urban Purchasing) then you could be in big trouble on something in that price range. There were some pretty nice places built on Clay about 1 year ago or so, it would probably be a good idea to see what those sold for?

I definetely agree. I had a bad experience with Urban Realtors 3 years ago and ended up firing them. However, think of this. If they are marketing the property, the 6% realtor fee usually split between the seller and buyer's agent will go to the same place. Meaning, there may be more room to negotiate.

Those properties seem a little high in price. Also, there were some others in the Rice Military with similar floorplans that sat on the market for YEARS. I bought a patio home in the Rice Military area 3 years ago, and I look at them at that time. A couple of them are still for sale.

One thing that you might want to consider is to find a loft that doesn't share a wall with your neighbor. I see alot of these places sharing the same wall. Try to get a detached unit. Also, i heard prices in the Rice Military are pretty high now too. I have a friend who bought a loft around the Yale and Irvington area for like under 250k.

thanks for all the feedback guys. Yea ideally i would want to live in Montrose (b/c i like the alternative atmosphere), but i have not found any urban contemporary homes in those areas. I liked midtown a lot and am a big fan of urban communities, where i can walk to restaurants and bars and stuff. Ive been thinking it over and i think i will just wait till i actually move to houston in the fall, see exactly where i want to live, and then purchase.

thanks again

Your spatting has taken up the last 6 or so posts and has jacked a perfectly legitimate topic. The guidelines allow for suspension of members engaging in flame wars.

The silly poll/"topic" that was subsequently created to attempt to "prove who's right" at the expense of possibly generating a public whine-a-thon has been deleted. There's no place for it here.

Putting all of the unnecessary bickering on this thread aside, I have a few different friends that live in condos built by Techsun, in Montrose, Rice Military, and I think my buddy in Camp Logan as well. Techsun homes are usually nice, and have decent finishes, etc. One of my gripes are that they can be slightly generic and sometimes have hardiplank sides which completely contradict the contemporary or mediterranean style of the fronts and seem cheepish. The homes to be constructed well, and have decent floor plans.

These units are located just north of W. Gray, but if you go a few blocks south East of Taft between Webster and Welch there are some really neat lofts and townhouses (unfortunately mixed in with the red brick and vinyl clad townhouses) but have a sort of village feeling. One of my friends lives in the Parker Lofts on Webster, and for a similar price point if you can get your hands on a unit there I would highly recommend it. There are also some cool loft/townhouse conversions one block east on Webster that are pretty neat. Plus, you can walk to get the BEST burger in town at Lankford's, an eccentric little joint that is locally famous. Of course, I have no idea what is available in this neighborhood but if I were looking in this area it is where I would want to be.