Total Cost Of Housing In The Woodlands

jgs1419

My wife, three kids, dogs and various and sundrie other beings currently live in The Heights and have for a number of years. We are considering moving to The Woodlands for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is proximity to work. I know what my house in Houston costs with mortgage, taxes and insurance. I know what a house in The Woodlands costs and I can estimate the insurance but I don't know the full costs of property taxes, association dues, etc. Could someone please comment?

My wife, three kids, dogs and various and sundrie other beings currently live in The Heights and have for a number of years. We are considering moving to The Woodlands for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is proximity to work. I know what my house in Houston costs with mortgage, taxes and insurance. I know what a house in The Woodlands costs and I can estimate the insurance but I don't know the full costs of property taxes, association dues, etc. Could someone please comment?

Well, as always it depends on the price of the house. But here are a few things to keep in mind.

1. You are taxed on 100% of the purchase price on the newer homes. They are much more up to date on the true market value of a house in comparison to HCAD. I swear they got a little old lady locked up in a room researching the MLS Closing 24/7.

2. You have a mud tax based on the tax value of your home. That tax can run a couple thousand depending which mud district you are in.

3. You have an association fee that is pro-rated (and should be considered a tax) according to the tax value of your home. That can run a couple thousand.

4. The school taxes aren't bad. Comparible to HISD or SBISD.

We live in a cheaper home than we did in Houston, but with association fees, mud, school and county taxes we are paying almost twice as much.

PS-If you protest your tax value with MCAD, they give you a choice: Pay the rate on this years value or they can go ahead and raise it 20k to next year rate. ;)

• The title was changed to Total Cost Of Housing In The Woodlands