Geodesic domes for a house..?

Zapata

From what I know of them, they are alot more efficient as far as energy costs. The use of space is better also, and are pretty good for hurricanes because of their round shape the wind goes over them better. And when the Aliens come to take over the Earth, they will think you are with them in their dominance, and will give you a much better position when they enslave us. ;)

Edited by TJones

There is one in Garden Villa's. There is a old home in front that I heard the owners were living in while building the dome out back and then the old home was going to come down. Don't recall which street it's on but I could find it.

Scharpe St Guy

Yeah, I know of the one you are talking about, you can see it off I-45 South right around Tiki Island.

Yeah, I know of the one you are talking about, you can see it off I-45 South right around Tiki Island.

No, I'm talking about Surfside, at the end of Highway 332 south of Freeport. When I was a kid I remember at least two or three of them. They really stood out amongst the traditional square beach houses. Not sure how many are left (this was early to mid '70s) but I bet they wouldn't be hard to spot on Google Earth.

Marty

What are the pros/cons of this type of construction..?? Is cheaper than building conventional..???

Labor is higher than standard construction because "standard" materials (sheetrock/lumber) have to be cut in order to make the triangular sections.

I believe there also used to be one between Manvel and Alvin.

I don't see how they could be very functional. You would be limited in the layout of the space, and furniture and appliances are generally designed for right-angled structures. Resale value must be pretty bad.

I believe there also used to be one between Manvel and Alvin.

I don't see how they could be very functional. You would be limited in the layout of the space, and furniture and appliances are generally designed for right-angled structures. Resale value must be pretty bad.

Yeah, I know someone who used to build these things in Florida. He's told me that some people love them, but others have a really hard time when they figure out that their original painting worth several thousand dollars doesn't hang well from a faceted wall.

I knew some guys that built several of these around the Austin area. I was never impressed with interiors. Walls were put up in odd places to create some privacy. I do not know how heating and cooling one could be anything but expensive. Besides, they just look weird.