My review of Dallas

I love downtown Houston, don't ever go anymore though. My family has owned a few different bars around the area. My dad just complains that downtown really is only a big draw on special nights or events. He recently sold one business and is going to re open in a location around Westheimer and Kirby. Yes, Houston's nightlife is really amazing compared to 10 years ago, but it is not bumper to bumper crowds like the pictures above suggest. Atleat, not every weekend.

Actually, it is every weekend. Maybe not half a million people like on a big Astros or Rockets night. But every Saturday night that I have been there, it's pretty wild between midnight and around 3:00am. Babe Central. Bumper to bumper cars and people. Maybe not every night of the week. But Weekends, it's pretty damn cool. Lots of thongs. Life is good.

Oh please West Texan, that was a March or Rally in Dallas. Or was that part of the joke?

Actualy, that looks like a rally to outlaw anyone with a name like "Jose" or something, which, by the way, is in fact, my first name. Is that Farmer's Branch by chance?

Regards,

Jose "2112"

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm going to echo the comment scarface said earlier. When you go to a big city, you shouldn't have to look under a rock to find the nightlife/party scene.

Well, someone at the Dallas Morning News seemed to agree with you about a year and a half ago. I just take a different view point. In an effort to be fair and balanced I'm posting the article below.

________________________________________________________________________________

Dallas entertainment districts too dispersed

Dallas struggles with entertainment districts that visitors never see

07:25 PM CDT on Saturday, July 30, 2005

By SUZANNE MARTA / The Dallas Morning News

When it comes to Dallas' nightlife and entertainment, how much is too much?

REX C. CURRY/Special Contributor

Jason Sellers holds a corny dog just out of reach of his son Ayden Sellers, 3, at the Taste of Dallas in the West End. From the West Village to the West End, from Deep Ellum to Main Street, Dallas has plenty of entertainment close to downtown. But the city has struggled to shake off perceptions by visitors and locals alike that there's nothing to do here.

Some say the number of entertainment districts could spread the city's resources too thin, offering several places to visit but few that stand out or hold a visitor's attention.

Others say the key is diversity, offering something visitors can't find in other cities and something locals can't find in the suburbs.

Could more entertainment do the trick?

The developers of the $3 billion Victory complex and the newly proposed entertainment district behind the Dallas Convention Center hope so.

Surrounding American Airlines Center, Hillwood's 75-acre Victory would create an upscale, urban center with coiffed plazas, high-end boutiques, marquee restaurants and luxury condos when its first projects open next summer.

Victory's scale is difficult to comprehend, simply driving by the cranes and building skeletons. But at the project's stylized Discovery Center on Cedar Springs, the scale model of planned buildings and streetscapes paints a picture of city transformed.

"Victory is the ultimate urban neighborhood in Dallas," said Jonas Woods, who oversees the project as president of Hillwood Capital. "There's a vibrancy in our streets you won't find in our nearest neighbors in Uptown."

Buildings in the current phase of construction begin opening next summer but represent a mere third of the overall project. . .

you can read the rest of the article, along with commentary, here.

very insightful. I guess as much money that's poured into a project as big and stellar as Victory, i guess they are really counting on a more centralized and urban nightlife scene.

Not to throw Houston in the mix, but i really wish Houston could get projects like this. Not very sure what the Hardy Railyard/Intermodal Station promises, but it seems to be a looong way from becoming reality. Speaking from a Houston perspective, Victory development in Dallas does make me a tad bit jealous.

Not to throw Houston in the mix, but i really wish Houston could get projects like this. Not very sure what the Hardy Railyard/Intermodal Station promises, but it seems to be a looong way from becoming reality. Speaking from a Houston perspective, Victory development in Dallas does make me a tad bit jealous.

Tier, we might not be adding big flashy screens in the mix but a similar type of development IS happening in our downtown. Our downtown park, new restaurants in the park, Park Tower, and the surrounding development will make Houston a hot gathering spot too. Don't be afraid to give your city a little props too.

And if the Houston Pavilions ever gets built, we'll definitely have nothing to worry about.

Just for clarification's sake. . .All of this talk about Richmond Avenue leave's me scratching my head. What exactly is on Richmond other than Sam's Boat/Place, Dave & Buster's, a strip club behind a car wash, and some place called "The Main Event?" I know Richmond used to be filled with lots of bars and restaurants (circa 1990-98), however that's not the case anymore. With very few exceptions, that whole area (Richmond AND Westheimer between Sage and Sam Houston Tollway) is really only home to a number of strip clubs, a dangerous night club ("Roxy") and a lot of C Class restaurants. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this.

planeta bar rio on richmond holds large concerts on weekends.

edit:

Dallas nitelife is cool, bit plastic, but i dig lower greenville & exposition ave

• 4 weeks later...

Man downtown Houston burning hot right now. Seen the Park Tower site 2day and not far from riseing in the sky. Dallas may have Victory Park, but its still the same momentum on the east end of downtown Houston. Houston is unstoppable.

It's all about Houston

H-town/Bayou City/Space city/ Clutch City/ Energy Captial of the world BABY!!!

Man downtown Houston burning hot right now. Seen the Park Tower site 2day and not far from riseing in the sky. Dallas may have Victory Park, but its still the same momentum on the east end of downtown Houston. Houston is unstoppable.

It's all about Houston

uhhh.............ok. :mellow:

It's all about Houston

Sweet dude, it's nice to hear from 14 year olds that are excited about their city. Maybe there's hope for our youth after all.

Archived