Local School District Superintendents' Salaries

Chris

This is a list of Houston's local School District Superintendents' Salaries as of the 2006-2007 school year.

Klein ISD: $200,000 (Jim Cain)

Conroe ISD: $230,000 (Don Stockton)

Magnolia ISD: $145,000

Spring isd: $172,500 (Ralph Draper)

Tomball ISD: $142,500 (John Neubauer)

Willis ISD: $138,500

Clearcreek ISD: $202,575

Houston ISD: $278,100 (Abe Saavedra)

Alief ISD: $271,500

Cy-Fair ISD: $250,000

Humble ISD: $199,000

Fortbend ISD: $216,000

Lamar ISD: $175,000

Katy ISD: $241,049

Spring Branch ISD: $197,500

Pasadena ISD: $255,000

Some of these salaries come with car allowances, cell phone allowances, trip allowances and all of them have great benefits. The highest paid superintendent is Houston ISD's Abelardo Saavedra, and the lowest paid superintendent is Willis ISD along with Tomball ISD's John Neubauer. Klein ISD's Jim Cain recieved a $12,000 payraise from the previous 2005-2006 school year which brought him from $188,000 to $200,000 yearly. Cain leads the 8th largest district in Houston. Katy, Conroe, and Cy-Fair Superintendents are in about the same range.

I think the salaries should be performance based. If the kids are not achieving a good education and are not meeting and or exceeding basic standards, the salaries of the superintendents should be reflected accordingly.

I agree 100%

I think the salaries should be performance based. If the kids are not achieving a good education and are not meeting and or exceeding basic standards, the salaries of the superintendents should be reflected accordingly.

Many teacher salaries are based on seniority, not on performance. Some veteran teachers at my school make more money than the principal, as they had been teaching for the longest span of time.

Many teacher salaries are based on seniority, not on performance. Some veteran teachers at my school make more money than the principal, as they had been teaching for the longest span of time.

It can also depend on what type of degree the teacher has. (Bachelor, Masters, Doctrines)

From CFISD website:

<<A teacher with a masters degree will receive a $1,000 supplement to the base schedule at the appropriate experience level.

A teacher with a doctorate will receive a $2,000 supplement to the base schedule at the appropriate experience level.>>

So...time in grade affects your pay more than a degree. If you stopped teaching for two years (or just went on to get your Masters) you would be forgoing around 40K a year plus the cost of school. So you would be at least 85K-90K behind just to gain 2K a year.

And it's Doctorate...unless you are studying Theology.....

Edited by Mom22Blessings

200,000 is a little rich for my pocketbook for someone who has contact with the student body only a couple times a year if that much. :blink:

Edited by Marty

My wife makes $49,000 a year, that's with a Masters Degree, and her GT Certification Bonus, and she's been teaching for 24 years. There is no way anyone can justify to me making 4 and 5 times that much just to be a Superintenent. I can see them making 2.5 to 3 times that, but not 4 and 5 times that amount. By the time they take out Insurance, TRS, and Taxes she brings home two grand a month. Now I realize they only work 188 days out of the year, but I can't count the nights she's up grading papers until 10 and 11 at night, gets up at 5 in the morning and is in school by 7 am. Grading papers all weekend, and it's BS for them to make that much less than the fat cat administrators, that don't do a 10th of the work the teachers do. She teaches GT Math and Science, has 120+ students to deal with, (Four periods with 30+ students per class), It's BS. She does it because she likes it, because it doesn't pay worth a damn. Teachers with her kind of experience should be making 60K a year, atleast. Teachers starting out these days, and most are strapped with student loans, are starting out at 18-20 grand a year. That's insanity to say the least. that's not much more than minimum wage and these are college graduates we're talking about.

My wife makes $49,000 a year, that's with a Masters Degree, and her GT Certification Bonus, and she's been teaching for 24 years. There is no way anyone can justify to me making 4 and 5 times that much just to be a Superintenent. I can see them making 2.5 to 3 times that, but not 4 and 5 times that amount. By the time they take out Insurance, TRS, and Taxes she brings home two grand a month. Now I realize they only work 188 days out of the year, but I can't count the nights she's up grading papers until 10 and 11 at night, gets up at 5 in the morning and is in school by 7 am. Grading papers all weekend, and it's BS for them to make that much less than the fat cat administrators, that don't do a 10th of the work the teachers do. She teaches GT Math and Science, has 120+ students to deal with, (Four periods with 30+ students per class), It's BS. She does it because she likes it, because it doesn't pay worth a damn. Teachers with her kind of experience should be making 60K a year, atleast. Teachers starting out these days, and most are strapped with student loans, are starting out at 18-20 grand a year. That's insanity to say the least. that's not much more than minimum wage and these are college graduates we're talking about.

You have a point. What school does she teach at?

My mother has been a teacher for 30+ years, with a short 2 year break thrown in. Having grown up in that environment, I think it's deplorable, both the amount teachers are paid as well as how they are treated. My sister-in-law is now going to school for education, and I've warned her many times about the situations she will encounter.

The only reason to teach now is because you love it and feel you have something to give, but even then, the burnout rate is very high. It's disgusting how little respect educators are given in today's world.

The only reason to teach now is because you love it and feel you have something to give, but even then, the burnout rate is very high. It's disgusting how little respect educators are given in today's world.

And unfortunately it is only getting worse because of lack of discipline. IMO there is too much money going to "non-teaching" areas in school districts instead of the classroom. BRING BACK THE PADDLES!

I have an idea for lower-level administrators: If they want to keep their jobs, they should at least teach a few classes or take an increased workload. I would like to see lower-level administrators also double as support staff and/or teach higher-level classes at high schools. I.E. Some administrators for the Central Region of HISD could also double as Electronic Media teachers or Theory of Knowledge teachers at Central Region high schools.

I have an idea for lower-level administrators: If they want to keep their jobs, they should at least teach a few classes or take an increased workload. I would like to see lower-level administrators also double as support staff and/or teach higher-level classes at high schools. I.E. Some administrators for the Central Region of HISD could also double as Electronic Media teachers or Theory of Knowledge teachers at Central Region high schools.

I Agree, Some teachers do deserve to make more than what they make especially coaches, band directors, and performing arts teachers because they puy in way more time and effort in after school activities and programs that they do not get paid extra for.

The salaries of these superintendents are overly inflated. i think teachers should make more money and i also think parents should take a larger role in the education of thier children. To leave the educational well being of thier children solely up to the teachers is a very bad mistake! It doesnt take rocket science to figure out that if the under paid teachers are not getting parental help and support to educate the kids, there will be a breakdown in the learning process. The end result being---teachers will burn out faster.

Give teachers a raise. Money and more money is a great motivator!

I Agree, Some teachers do deserve to make more than what they make especially coaches, band directors, and performing arts teachers because they puy in way more time and effort in after school activities and programs that they do not get paid extra for.

I beg to differ on the coaches, there are high school coaches out there making way too much money, some are making what college coaches make. Way too much money spent on football period, and a whole lot less on education. The big name HS teams like Odessa Permian, SA Judsen, Lamarque, Plano, etc. etc. have multi million dollar budgets, and alot of wavier margins if the run over budget. Teachers take money out of their own pockets to buy things they need in their class rooms that their teaching budgets won't cover. I know my wife spends around 5-7 grand a year on her classroom and teaching materials that her budget won't pay for. We write it off on our income tax but still, it's the point that she has to do it, and if the football coach needs an extra hundred grand for equipment, it's like "Hey no problem", bang!!! they have the funds.

The salaries of these superintendents are overly inflated. i think teachers should make more money and i also think parents should take a larger role in the education of thier children. To leave the educational well being of thier children solely up to the teachers is a very bad mistake! It doesnt take rocket science to figure out that if the under paid teachers are not getting parental help and support to educate the kids, there will be a breakdown in the learning process. The end result being---teachers will burn out faster.

Give teachers a raise. Money and more money is a great motivator!

Absolutely, there are far too many parents that treat school like it's a day care center, and a place to get rid of the kids for a few hours. Parents are too lazy too raise their own kids and are expecting the school to do it. Not all parents but way more than it should be.

Edited by Mark F. Barnes

Teachers are going to hate me but i'm not for giving a raise in general. Money is a motivator for what ?????? IMO i think the quality of teachers has gone down in the last 30 yrs.

You have answered your own question. Reread your words.

There are some very good quality teachers around, but they will not be around for long in large numbers if the compensation doesnt improve. I hate my job but i stay with it because the money is EXCELLENT! My job keeps me away from my family upwards of 160-180 days a year. If the money wasnt good i would have told them to kiss my ass long ago! That same attitude will begin to apply to the good teachers in large numbers if the compensation packages do not increase. Pretty soon, only the true die hard types will want to spend X amount of years in institutes of higher learning to become teachers for wages that do not correspond with the work load placed upon them or the level of education they posses. The quality of teachers will plummet do to the high turnover rate that will be produced by the good ones leaving to move on to bigger better things, which will pay them accordingly.

You have answered your own question. Reread your words.

There are some very good quality teachers around, but they will not be around for long in large numbers if the compensation doesnt improve. I hate my job but i stay with it because the money is EXCELLENT! My job keeps me away from my family upwards of 160-180 days a year. If the money wasnt good i would have told them to kiss my ass long ago! That same attitude will begin to apply to the good teachers in large numbers if the compensation packages do not increase. Pretty soon, only the true die hard types will want to spend X amount of years in institutes of higher learning to become teachers for wages that do not correspond with the work load placed upon them or the level of education they posses. The quality of teachers will plummet do to the high turnover rate that will be produced by the good ones leaving to move on to bigger better things, which will pay them accordingly.

No...i'm against raises in general for all teachers.....if they perform well, then they should be rewarded. that will be more of a motivator than an across the board raise which would probably be small for all.

Edited by musicman

(Note: the following post may contain sarcasm.)

Yeah, those superintendents make WAY too much money. The superintendent of my local school district, Conroe ISD, makes $200,000.

It's not like he is a CEO of...oh I don't know, say...a $270 million organization. It's not like he's in charge of 5,000 employees or anything. And it's not like he's responsible for 40,000 customers every day. Or responsible for the oversight of building new facilities worth $200 million every few years.

Hell, anyone would be qualified for a superintendent's job. It's like flipping burgers or sweeping the streets.

(Note: the preceding post may have contained some elements of sarcasm. Let the reader beware.)

No...i'm against raises in general for all teachers.....if they perform well, then they should be rewarded. that will be more of a motivator than an across the board raise which would probably be small for all.

Are the teachers not being tested? Tested on thier skills and abilities? This is occuring while not paying them accordingly for the job they have to do.

When was the last time a superintendent was tested to prove that he or she was worth the amounts of monies they are being paid?

Are the teachers not being tested? Tested on thier skills and abilities? This is occuring while not paying them accordingly for the job they have to do.

When was the last time a superintendent was tested to prove that he or she was worth the amounts of monies they are being paid?

My recent interactions was teachers have left a bad taste with me.

As for being tested, you can't use a test to determine whether a teacher is good. The children and parents are the best indicators of whether a teacher is good. I know I remember which teachers were good and which weren't. A good reputation is built over time, not by performance on a test. When you hear a teacher speak who is unable to conjugate the verb "be" then HoustonWeHaveAProblem.

Edited by musicman

Superintendents are evaluated every so often.

Why in the world does the Alief Super make so much more than others from larger, better districts?

I don't think you have set foot in Alief, but let me tell you, Alief has a shitload of kids. It is a district with a small boundary (almost a third of Katy I.S.D.) and has 60,000 kids. It wasn't too long ago that Elsik High School was winning some achievmant awards and students there were doing good. They still are, so Alief might surprise you if you ever go into it.

I have never seen L. Merrell (the superintendent for Katy I.S.D.), before. I actually don't know what he even looks like. Why does he make so much, but no one ever sees him, except for the people at his office.

If salaries and performance was the way teachers get paid, Merrell would be making $300,000 a year (Katy I.S.D. is rated Recognized and is the largest district in Texas to have that rating).

Shouldn't this be in "Other Houston?"

Edited by Trae

I don't think you have set foot in Alief, but let me tell you, Alief has a shitload of kids. It is a district with a small boundary (almost a third of Katy I.S.D.) and has 60,000 kids. It wasn't too long ago that Elsik High School was winning some achievmant awards and students there were doing good. They still are, so Alief might surprise you if you ever go into it.

I have never seen L. Merrell (the superintendent for Katy I.S.D.), before. I actually don't know what he even looks like. Why does he make so much, but no one ever sees him, except for the people at his office.

If salaries and performance was the way teachers get paid, Merrell would be making $300,000 a year (Katy I.S.D. is rated Recognized and is the largest district in Texas to have that rating).

Shouldn't this be in "Other Houston?"

Trae, What is Atlanta South Forums? Did you really create that website? Why does it talk about Atlanta? Just wondering, Hope you don't mind me asking.