Best German Food in Houston

Ahh yes. This is the place across from the corporate office building/bunker complex that used to be owned by Chang Kai Shek's widowed wife (who for many years lived in secrecy in Conroe, TX). We have a place in Walden and I drive by there often. I always wanted to stop in...next time, I will.

Edited by mrfootball

I agree! I love Rudi Lechner's.

There is also a wonderful (wunderbar? :lol: ) place off of FM 723, it's Swiss, but my goodness it is DELICIOUS and they have German food as well. It's called Karl's at the Riverbend. Hubby and I used to eat there when we lived out in Richmond.

Edited by Parrothead

• 2 weeks later...
Need some suggestions on the best German food dining experience in Houston. I've heard Old Heidelberg was good as well as Rudi Lechner's. Any suggestions?

Well, I was going to suggest "What's Cookin'" in Kemah off 518, but when I went looking for the address I read where it burnt down in '05. I sure hope they rebuild, it was owned by a Hungarian lady and boy she had some good German and Hungarian food. I will try to drive by it this weekend and see if it is back

joe

I have only been to Old Heidelberg. I'm going to have to check out Rudi Lechner's. Heidelberg has not be consistant since management changed several years back.

There is a Swiss bakery/tea room behind Hart's chicken near San Felipe and Fountainview that serves German Food at lunch.. I cannot remember the name..sorry.

Well, I was going to suggest "What's Cookin'" in Kemah off 518, but when I went looking for the address I read where it burnt down in '05. I sure hope they rebuild, it was owned by a Hungarian lady and boy she had some good German and Hungarian food. I will try to drive by it this weekend and see if it is back

joe

I had no idea that we ever had anything like that. I've only come across one place like that, and it is one street off of Pflugerville's main road. I tried it out for lunch one day, told the proprietor that I was in a hurry because I had a meeting with a City official across the street afterward, and was amazed at how quickly the kitchen was able to turn out the order. Meanwhile she sat with me and we chatted about Hungarian-Texans we've each known. The first-generation transplants are always so pleasant to be around. If only she'd been a bit younger... ^_^

Which was the German restaurant around Fountainview and San Felipe? That was pretty good I thought.

That's Old Heidelberg.