HPD recruitment is lagging

musicman

my dad was in for over 40 yrs and surprisingly many that you'd think would be good candidates got disqualified for one reason or another. they have have used pot when they were younger and were disqualified as a result. i can think of at least one person that mentioned this to my dad.

Was your dad police or fire? Kudos to him for such long service.

my dads been w/ hpd for 25somethin years. i'm seriously thinkin about joining.
I think you'd make a great cop.
That's interesting. My BF tried to go to the academy when he got out of the Navy in 86, and again when he finished undergrad in 89, and was turned away. He has complained to this day it was because he was a white male. Could anything like that have been true?
Was he qualified physically and mentally? Sometimes people exhibit characteristics that disqualify them.

Was he qualified physically and mentally? Sometimes people exhibit characteristics that disqualify them.

A pretty perfect specimen, fresh out of the service and with a fairly high security clearance to boot, which, I would suspect, was far more rigorous than any background check police departments did at that time. Actually maybe that was why--the special clearance raised eyebrows. Bygones, in any event.

I'm curious to know what the force currently numbers, as well as how many recruits are in th pipe.

I saw quite a number of recruits on the street last week desperately trying not to look scared while they were directing traffic.

I wished more than a few good luck as I passed by.

• 5 weeks later...

Not only is the recruitment lagging, it is lagging QUALITY candidates. Watching the news just last night, we had one officer, only 18 months on the job, who was the drug mule for her boyfriend ? WTF !!! Another officer was busted for something else yesterday, I am trying to find that story right now.

• 2 months later...

HPD officers accused of stealing money from nonprofit

Two Houston police officers were indicted Tuesday on charges alleging they billed the Red Cross about $160,000 last summer to operate a two-week basketball camp for Katrina evacuees that only lasted two days.

They are accused of stealing money given by the National Red Cross and administered by the local Urban League office.

Patrol officer Tracie Denise Bell and Kirshondra Richardson, who is a probationary officer in her first year with the department, have been relieved of duty and are suspended with pay, said HPD spokesman John Cannon.

The two are charged with theft of more than $100,000, a second-degree felony with punishment ranging from probation to 20 years in prison if convicted.

full article

HPD can't hire 'em quick enough.

Archived