New User Rank

editor

No such thing.

It's called "Greater Houston".

Or at least it was in the 70s.

Metroplex is too Yankeefied.

Yankee? I think Dallas is the only "metroplex" in the nation. I think I read somewhere that some tourist promotion group in Dallas actually invented the term.

"Tri-state area" -- now THAT's a Yankee term (New York, Cincinnati, and sometimes Philadelphia use it).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never knew that about "Metroplex". It's such a bad ripoff of "Multiplex".

Tri-state is bad. So is "quad cities". You know you got it bad when it takes four to make a city.

But everytime I hear "Houston Metroplex" my first reaction is "Carptebagger".

I'd expect better from Mr. Jones, unless....;-)

But seriously, I can still hear Ron Stone saying "Greater Houston" when he did commericals, etc.

So what changes did they make, were do you store cars in Houston now that all the dealerships are gone?

Any Dealer that has the word Champion in front of it. Is an Autonation store. ;) . Here's a link for you, and you can see just how BIG Autonation has gotten around Houston alone.

http://www.championdealer.com/index.cfm?do...ge=english&

Best way to see just how big is to go to the upper righthand corner of the linked page, and click on FIND A DEALER, and then click SEARCH BY MAKE.

Any Dealer that has the word CHampion in front of it. Is an Autonation store. ;) . Here's a link for you, and you can see just how BIG Autonation has gotten around Houston alone.

http://www.championdealer.com/index.cfm?do...ge=english&

LAST DIGRESSION for me. :P

So why did the old AutoNation by I-45 S and Beltway 8 shutdown?

Did they go through a restructuring, and why the name change.

You still call it AutoNation, but the Houston area as you mentioned, now calls it Champion.

I have seen plenty of Champion dealerships, but none as big as the old AutoNation or Carmax lots.

Never knew that about "Metroplex". It's such a bad ripoff of "Multiplex".

Tri-state is bad. So is "quad cities". You know you got it bad when it takes four to make a city.

But everytime I hear "Houston Metroplex" my first reaction is "Carptebagger".

I'd expect better from Mr. Jones, unless....;-)

But seriously, I can still hear Ron Stone saying "Greater Houston" when he did commericals, etc.

Technically I'm in Katy, but I actually LIVE and do some work out of my home IN Houston.

You still call it AutoNation, but the Houston area as you mentioned, now calls it Champion.

I have seen plenty of Champion dealerships, but none as big as the old AutoNation or Carmax lots.

You of all people Mr. Thread-Nazi are hi-jacking this thread to hell and back. Why don't you take it to a private message already?

And TJones, stop feeding the beast!

Did you happen to notice that the ICON is still the same it is called "The Wayfinder". Here is another link for you.

http://www.autonation.com/

Reason we let the old stores go was because Autonation saw that Dealerships are a better way to do business. Used car sales were the way people WERE going awhile back, the market changed and when 0% came out, it changed the way people bought cars. Yes, some people are still forced to have to settle with buying used, because their credit won't allow them to get approved for a certain amount of money, also, it has to do with "keeping up with the Joneses" for alot of people, When your neighbor has a new Titan truck sitting in his driveway with a "Champion" sticker on it, 8 out of 10 times you will want to go get yourself a "new" something or other. Most people don't want to pull up with a "CARMAX" sticker on it, giving it away that it is a USED CAR. They would much rather have the same "Champion" sticker or other dealer sticker on it to show that they are on the same level as their neighbor, even if it IS a pre-owned truck, might be a Chevy or Dodge truck instead. It is all about perception. We could still have the Old Green stores if we wanted, but Wayne Huizenga decided that when he still owned Autonation, that moving over to dealerships showed to be more profitable, and Wayne is all about profits !

Your right Jeebus, apologies. :blush:

You of all people Mr. Thread-Nazi are hi-jacking this thread to hell and back. Why don't you take it to a private message already?

To get back on topic, If you want to option "Thread-Nazi" as a rank or label, I gladly accept the offer. :rolleyes:

I PM'd you, as I am not dense. :rolleyes:

And to maintain respect for certain people on here and for anyone else who wants to use this as a forum to discuss me being a "Thread Nazi", just PM me instead of using this thread. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have.

• 1 month later...

Archived