post your internet connection speeds

My Norton System Works has a Internet speedometer and it says 65 ms what does that mean? 1 hour or so later, now it say 80 something.

That's a "ping" measurement. It's the time it takes a single packet of data to get from your computer to some other computer. In your case, 65 milliseconds. It does not measure bandwidth, just the speed of a single packet.

Norton including it in its package is more marketing hype than usefulness. Ping times are only useful when measured between two computers. I assume that since it's a Norton product, the 65ms and 80ms speeds you're getting are a measurement of the speed between your computer and one of Norton's. But unless you spend all of your time on Norton's web site, it's meaningless. It does not measure your overall internet speed. It's meant to diagnose problems between your computer and a specific other computer.

The ping time between my computer and my wife's computer in the next room is 0.115ms

The ping time between my computer and HAIF is 49ms.

The ping time between my computer and the Japanese national broadcaster NHK is 199ms.

As you can see, the times vary based on the distance and number of computers your connection has to pass through.

I have a T3 back in Montgomery, but out here on the rig I am via satellite and it feels like a snail compaired to home.

Download Speed: 209 kbps (26.1 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 174 kbps (21.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Ah back to civilization, got back to Texas yesterday!!!

Last Result:

Download Speed: 25239 kbps (2054.9 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 10528 kbps (866 KB/sec transfer rate)

Archived