Heights Style Garage

I know Harvard Heights does a lot of them.

www.harvardheights.com

I'd be interested to know what else you find out...I'm looking to build a new 2.5 car garage with an unfinished shell of a garage apt above.

Some of their designs look pretty cool. I'm wondering if I can buy a set of plans from them and build it myself. I have an idea to use all salvaged lumber. I've got the slab already.

I called Harvard Heights out for an estimate a while back. At the time, they had a $10k special for a 20x20. I really don't want to spend that much, however.

I'll also chime in and request that you keep us posted on what you find out.

I wonder if we can get a group buy discount. I'll bet things are slow for contractors, here around the holidays.

I'd be interested to know as well. My contractor recently died so I'm on the lookout as we are about ready to build a new one as well. Red mentioned awhile back he was thinking of the same. I wonder if he has any prospects?

I have one guy in mind who is a contractor, but I haven't talked to him about my garage yet, because my architect buddy is loafing on my plans. Something about taking care of his paying clients. :huh:

What a douchebag. ;)

Right now, I am listening to the glorious sound of ice dumping from my automatic icemaker in my brand new fridge! By next week, the delicate art of balancing ice cube trays from the sink to the freezer will be a distant memory. :D

BTW, if anyone wants my contractor's name and number for a quote, PM me.

I have an idea to use all salvaged lumber.

Now that's hardcore recycling! Me, I've been slowly collecting windows and doors and floors from the unfortunate victims of unchecked developer greed, and I think I now have enough to get cranking. What I really would like to find is some original cypress siding so that the structure will be in total harmony with my bungalow.

I've mostly drawn-up the design on my own, but I really need someone to do some official drawings as well as check the structural aspect. A friend recommended APD Design for that work - does anyone have experience with them?

I know of a guy who can build garages/garage apts. out here in the Heights. He is currently doing one in the Heights now. He mainly does new construction homes now but will do garages also. He has actually been remodeling homes and building new construction for the last 15 yrs. here in the Heights. Let me know if you want his contact info.

Edited by HeightsChic

Now that's hardcore recycling! Me, I've been slowly collecting windows and doors and floors from the unfortunate victims of unchecked developer greed, and I think I now have enough to get cranking. What I really would like to find is some original cypress siding so that the structure will be in total harmony with my bungalow.

I've mostly drawn-up the design on my own, but I really need someone to do some official drawings as well as check the structural aspect. A friend recommended APD Design for that work - does anyone have experience with them?

Sounds like we're thinking almost the same thing. Once I have some plans with a lumber list I have no doubts that I'll be able to accumulate most of the pieces just by scrounging. The East End has piles of wood getting tossed weekly. I've got salvaged windows too but have since learned that code requires a certain "E" rating, and old windows won't pass -_- . Not sure how to get around that one, other than use new windows....ewww. I want wood windows with weights. I've got a full set of doors, interior and exterior, too. I want to do it as a circa 1940 structure in fitting with the nabe. Finding flooring will take more effort but I'll finish the interior at my leisure, that is if the City will allow that.

I've got salvaged windows too but have since learned that code requires a certain "E" rating, and old windows won't pass -_- .

Crap! Seems obivous now, but I never even thought of the "window code". Thanks for shattering my wavy glass dreams, danax ;)

I suppose I could always build the structure without windows, get it signed off by the city goons, and then cut holes in the walls to install the windows.

I've seen several new construction McVictorians in the Heights that are built and sold with unfinished garage apartment shells ("great to build out for the nanny in a few years" one flyer read) so I do not think it is a problem getting the city to OK a building with an unfinished interior.

• 8 months later...

So did anybody actually get their garages built? I'm ready to move forward with my garage expansion project and I'm looking for recommendations. I'm trying to reach Harvard Heights, but I haven't made contact yet. Any other recommendations out there?

Just for context, I need to go from a 2-car garage (20 x 20) to a 3 1/2. My idea is to build a smaller 20 x 14 on the other side of the back yard and connect them with a breezeway that will provide a shaded patio area in the back yard. And I hope that two smaller buildings will be more aesthetic than one large one.

My plans have changed drastically from when I made that post. Originally, I planned to knock down the old garage and build a 2 story garage. The cost, plus the fact that I would probably never use the upstairs, convinced me to scrap those plans. Now, I plan to spruce up the old garage, and add a nice carport to the front of the garage. This will save me both trees and Benjamins.

Just called the contractor this afternoon. I'll give you his number if you want it.

So did anybody actually get their garages built? I'm ready to move forward with my garage expansion project and I'm looking for recommendations. I'm trying to reach Harvard Heights, but I haven't made contact yet. Any other recommendations out there?

Harvard Heights came by and visited me, promised a quote, and I never once heard from him again.

I ended going with APD Design on White Oak to do the drawings only for a flat fee and have thus far been pleased, though we are currently just in the site planning phase. Based on my experience trying to get quotes, it is much easier to get bids when you can lay out a set of drawings and say "I want exactly this". Otherwise, these guys are just going to design on the fly, and the results may not be what you expect.

I went the opposite direction of Red; I started out with a "spruce-up" and am now going for a 2 car plus workshop (total of 650 sq ft), with living area above that will eventually be dovetailed into my existing bungalow and form a new master bedroom, bath, and study. Somehow I went from $$ to $$$$$$$$$$$$$$.