Going up in St. Peterburg

on the North side of the Neva river across from a Cathedral, well east of the Hermitage. From what i remember there are mostly houses and some department stores in the area.

this will not go with the city at all, i hope it doesn't happen.

Depends on how the final rendering will look. Russia, as you know, is seeing an explosion of growth. In Moscow City there is a blending of modern highrises which have a nostalgic look with ones that have a more futuristic look. I think we have to come to grips that it is the 21st century, and mixing new architectural concepts with old ones is going to happen. The key, i believe, is to hire architects and developers who specialize in incorporating both worlds. Something like this could work, depending on the final product.

It is not very hard to put a modern highrise along side old structures- match colors, try to complement shaping, texture, and use some older materials (in this case stone) with glass and steel.

^_^

i know its possible, and Moscow as well as many other European cities have pulled it off in impressive fashion. but i like St Petersburg just the way it is, and don't want to see an explosion of modern growth there. it will change the feel of the city, take away from its charm. just my opinion.

i know its possible, and Moscow as well as many other European cities have pulled it off in impressive fashion. but i like St Petersburg just the way it is, and don't want to see an explosion of modern growth there. it will change the feel of the city, take away from its charm. just my opinion.

I have to agree. London is an example as well:CityHall.jpgLondon.jpg

I'd prefer St. Peterburg limit their developement to low-mid rise heights across the Neva. I love the new designs-just not so much for St. Peterburg.

Edited by nmainguy

Maybe the answer is to separate a more modern district from the historic one: like in Paris, and to some extent London and Moscow. I do understand and mostly agree with your love of the city's charm. I must admit (although i have never been there), that pix. of St. Pete are very charming......like Vienna, Bucharest and Budapest. I know many are worried those cities are going to lose their charm too. Hopefully, moderation will be the key just as long as the newer structures aren't built to compete with the older ones.

m. :)