Save-A-Lot Grocery Stores

Any of you glenbrookers been into the new Grocery store on broadway where i think the last tennant was the old Rice/Grocery World in the early 90's?

Save-A-Lot stores headed to Houston

A grocery concept called Save-A-Lot is entering the Houston market.

The St. Louis-based chain offers an assortment of value-priced groceries in a relatively small space. An Alief store opens Nov. 9, a Hobby Airport-area location opens Nov. 16, and a Fondren southwest-area store opens in January.

Save-A-Lots are 14,000 to 16,000 square feet. Supermarkets are often 40,000 to 90,000 square feet.

A total of 12 Save-A-Lots are scheduled to arrive in the area by spring of next year.

There are more than 1,150 Save-A-Lots in 42 states.

Looks like a interesting place, certainly for the basics.

www.save-a-lot.com

Any of you glenbrookers been into the new Grocery store on broadway where i think the last tennant was the old Rice/Grocery World in the early 90's?

Save-A-Lot stores headed to Houston

A grocery concept called Save-A-Lot is entering the Houston market.

The St. Louis-based chain offers an assortment of value-priced groceries in a relatively small space. An Alief store opens Nov. 9, a Hobby Airport-area location opens Nov. 16, and a Fondren southwest-area store opens in January.

Save-A-Lots are 14,000 to 16,000 square feet. Supermarkets are often 40,000 to 90,000 square feet.

A total of 12 Save-A-Lots are scheduled to arrive in the area by spring of next year.

There are more than 1,150 Save-A-Lots in 42 states.

Looks like a interesting place, certainly for the basics.

www.save-a-lot.com

I popped in yesterday. It's good for basics. Most of the items are off-brand. But even the brand stuff was priced great. Not huge selections obviously since it's a fraction of the size of most full grocery stores. I'll probably be there often for basics since it's practically in my back yard and it's easier to get in and out of than going to Kroger if there are just a few items you need. (Coca-cola product are current $1.97 a 12-pk)

Frankly I usually just go to Kroger for a few basics anyway since the nearest Kroger is pretty half-ass.

One interesting thing, the cashiers don't bag your groceries. They put them back in your basket and then you can bag at a separate counter area. Or of course use your own reusable bags.

I don't cook so it will probably be all I need. It will certainly be convenient. It seems to be a part of an overall light rehab of that shopping center which is certainly welcome. Its not earth-shattering but I will take any improvement I can get. :D

I don't cook so it will probably be all I need. It will certainly be convenient. It seems to be a part of an overall light rehab of that shopping center which is certainly welcome. Its not earth-shattering but I will take any improvement I can get. :D

Exactly, I'm just glad its not empty space any longer so I will definately utilize it.

The other space will open soon too. I can't remember how to spell the name of the other store going in. I call it Mexico's Weiners. Mostly because they took over many of the old Weiner's stores when Wieners closed and it has the same type/style of merchandise.

I popped in yesterday. It's good for basics. Most of the items are off-brand. But even the brand stuff was priced great. Not huge selections obviously since it's a fraction of the size of most full grocery stores. I'll probably be there often for basics since it's practically in my back yard and it's easier to get in and out of than going to Kroger if there are just a few items you need. (Coca-cola product are current $1.97 a 12-pk)

Frankly I usually just go to Kroger for a few basics anyway since the nearest Kroger is pretty half-ass.

One interesting thing, the cashiers don't bag your groceries. They put them back in your basket and then you can bag at a separate counter area. Or of course use your own reusable bags.

We went by yesterday and i'd have to agree it is good for the basics. There are many off brand items. just walk down the potato chip aisle and see if you recognize anything. I will say that there were a steady amount of people going in/out. Definitely good for the hood.

You know, a location like this would probably work out a great deal in the midtown and Downtown areas.

Maybe they kick out that one dollar store and put it in there instead. :)

Some things are expensive. Coke 2L is 1.39 and it is 99cents at Food Town. No name popcorn 1.69 Parade brand. Normally 99cents. Gallon of pickles $3.99 2.69 at Food Town and Wal-mart. The store has been open less than a month and half the stuff is missing price tags. We we entered the register where one would assume you could go through to get to the back whiles was roped off. Forcing you to walk through fresh fruits. When we tried to leave it was the same thing. Wait behind someone to check out or walk around to fruits and leave. One thing THERE ARE NO SACKERS! YOU MUST BAG YOUR OWN STUFF. It's like going food shopping at 99 cent only stores.

Some things are expensive. Coke 2L is 1.39 and it is 99cents at Food Town. No name popcorn 1.69 Parade brand. Normally 99cents. Gallon of pickles $3.99 2.69 at Food Town and Wal-mart. The store has been open less than a month and half the stuff is missing price tags. We we entered the register where one would assume you could go through to get to the back whiles was roped off. Forcing you to walk through fresh fruits. When we tried to leave it was the same thing. Wait behind someone to check out or walk around to fruits and leave. One thing THERE ARE NO SACKERS! YOU MUST BAG YOUR OWN STUFF. It's like going food shopping at 99 cent only stores.

think convenience.

One thing THERE ARE NO SACKERS! YOU MUST BAG YOUR OWN STUFF. It's like going food shopping at 99 cent only stores.

I hate those names, SAC-N-SAVE, SHOP-N-GO, FOODARAMA, SAVERS. . . and now this, SAVE-A-LOT, it just sounds ghetto and by the opinions express on here, expensive ghetto.

At least the old H.E.B Pantry's and Randalls will get some temporary use.

Some things are expensive. Coke 2L is 1.39 and it is 99cents at Food Town. No name popcorn 1.69 Parade brand. Normally 99cents. Gallon of pickles $3.99 2.69 at Food Town and Wal-mart. The store has been open less than a month and half the stuff is missing price tags.

Click on the AD here.

Pickles are $2.49 and the Popcorn is $0.99.

Maybe they read HAIF and changed their prices? B)

I hate those names, SAC-N-SAVE, SHOP-N-GO, FOODARAMA, SAVERS. . . and now this, SAVE-A-LOT, it just sounds ghetto and by the opinions express on here, expensive ghetto.

At least the old H.E.B Pantry's and Randalls will get some temporary use.

Click on the AD here.

Pickles are $2.49 and the Popcorn is $0.99.

Maybe they read HAIF and changed their prices? B)

ACT? Popcorn?! I didn't even see that. I saw no name and the pickles are for the small jar i was talking about the gallon size.

• The title was changed to Save-A-Lot Grocery Stores

Archived